NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 11:36pm
I miss driving my boat. Does any body have a lead on a couple thousand gallons of antifreeze I could dump in my lake?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 12:41am
If you can chop a 16' hole close to shore, put the Mustang in and start it up.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 12:43am
Drag it to the River Run!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 11:11am
Where and what is the river run?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 12:20pm
go to the thread "SJRR"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 1:59am
Hm that would be nice, wish I still had a good tow vehicle
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 2:06am
So just thinking out loud I still have to:
1.) finish sanding and paint motor cover
2.) upholster seats
3.) Rebuild transmission
4.) modify subwoofer panel (to close to my feet)

Wow my list has never been that short! This time last year I could have written a book
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 2:26pm
Decided to pull the trans and do a rebuild, it doesn't slip at all but it's got a very "dirty" neutral. That just means the clutch discs are bad right? Does this kit include all the parts I need? http://m.ebay.com/itm/281221530519?nav=SEARCH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 3:02pm
I didn't go to your link but I did get my kit from ebasic power. Pretty straight forward ordering instructs.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 3:55pm
Is the ebasic kit a good brand? How is yours holding up?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 9:06pm
I can't tell you the brand but Eric who owned fantastic finish marine and was quite active here a while back suggested the kit from them. Knock on wood.........the kit worked well for me!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 7:23pm
got the ebasics kit and I've been working on the trans, pics up in a bit. I definitely have some questions, I think I've already goofed up some of the assembly haha
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 1:16am
Some pics of the rebuild, for those of you that have rebuilt; how the hell did you get the clutch packs lined up to reinstall the driveshaft?? I can only get it past two or three of the bronze packs and it binds up. I dont want to push it too hard

Also, what should the pack clearence be when installed? It wasnt mentioned in the reuild manual. seems like there is about 1/8th inch of play

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 11:29pm
Bump?
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 11:58pm
Not even an empty brown bottle visible on the bench
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 11:58pm
I don't remember that being an issue......but that was three years ago....I think I just jiggled until it went together, never pushed very hard and don't let them bind. If I recall there were extra plates in my kit and they were for rebuilding a 72c the 71c used the same plates but fewer of them. The exact number I can't recall.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Not even an empty brown bottle visible on the bench

?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I don't remember that being an issue......but that was three years ago....I think I just jiggled until it went together, never pushed very hard and don't let them bind. If I recall there were extra plates in my kit and they were for rebuilding a 72c the 71c used the same plates but fewer of them. The exact number I can't recall.

Huh I wonder why it is so difficult. I have a few extra plates too. Do you remember if there was much play with the plates installed?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 7:30pm
FFM comes to mind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 8:00pm
Empty beer bottle because sometimes a beer and thought can help things
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 12:21am
I wish I was more help. Send a pm to joe in New york. I think he has done a few. Pete, you are usually trying to get people to fix things themselves, why are transmissions off limits? Just curious......
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 3:35am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Empty beer bottle because sometimes a beer and thought can help things

Haha not pictured but present!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 3:37am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I wish I was more help. Send a pm to joe in New york. I think he has done a few. Pete, you are usually trying to get people to fix things themselves, why are transmissions off limits? Just curious......

I Appreciate the help! Will do
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 7:58am
Bill,
When Eric was with us, he said several times that there were several procedures that weren't covered in the manual and could be tricky. The clutch pack clearance is one of them. Machined tolerances are also not covered in the manual. You could be attempting to rebuild when parts not included in the kit are worn beyond there service life. There aren't very many people that have successfully rebuild a trans. I have wondered myself if I would undertake the job. Tim has even mentioned that he too would think twice about doing a trans rebuild. I remember a couple members who had "pro's" rebuild their tran's and ended up having to send them to FFM!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 9:28am
Pete that does make sense. I don't think what I did would be considered a rebuild ....more of a take apart to put in packs and seals. At the time I had everything out of the boat so I thought I would give it a try. In fact Eric told me to give it a try and if it didn't work out I would have to send it to him anyway! I sure miss his knowledge on this site.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 3:20pm
The original service manual definitely sucks, I think the complete assembly is covered in like a page and a half. The only tolerance they gave was the thickness for the piston c ring

Whatever, If I screw it up, bummer. If i don't, also whatever. I got into this boat because I enjoy the challenge just as much as I enjoy driving it

Also, thanks JoeinNY for the PM!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 10:26am
Figured it out, I ended up pressing out the input bearing then putting in the input shaft. I then pressed the bearing back on with the shaft sitting in the housing. I think the bearing might have been getting hung up on the shaft this whole time. Hope to have it all back together tonight
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

The original service manual definitely sucks, I think the complete assembly is covered in like a page and a half. The only tolerance they gave was the thickness for the piston c ring

Whatever, If I screw it up, bummer. If i don't, also whatever. I got into this boat because I enjoy the challenge just as much as I enjoy driving it

Also, thanks JoeinNY for the PM!

I agree with you on the challenge vs. joy of driving. Its the thrill of the chase!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2015 at 11:39pm
The only thing confusing is the omition of the details of the last snap ring in the fwd pack.

This snap ring DOES NOT SNAP INTO THE GROOVE.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

The only thing confusing is the omition of the details of the last snap ring in the fwd pack.

This snap ring DOES NOT SNAP INTO THE GROOVE.

Yeah, took me a while to figure out it just kinda sat there. The groove cut Above the teeth was misleading, I thought they didn't machine it all the way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 32>
  Share Topic