Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inexpensive and Easy Prop Puller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gbknbrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbknbrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive and Easy Prop Puller
    Posted: January-18-2012 at 12:56am
Late last summer I needed to pull my prop and didn't want to wait to order a puller. After seeing some homemade ones on the site (inspiration linked below), I thought why not do it with pipe floor flanges?
Brainard's and Kapla's

I bought 3 - 1" pipe flanges from Lowe's for $9 and change each, plus a section of all thread, some nuts, and a grade 8 washer and bolt for the center pin, ground to a point. I cut a notch out of 2 of the flanges and staggered the notches 180 degrees when assembling. Tightened it all down, gave it a thump with a dead blow, and the prop came right off.

I realized after the fact that the flange with the center pin should be turned around so it pulls into the web of the flange and doesn't pull it apart.

This works great for a 4 blade prop, probably no help but maybe inspiration for 3 blades?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by gbknbrd gbknbrd wrote:

This works great for a 4 blade prop, probably no help but maybe inspiration for 3 blades?

Great idea! For a 3 blade, all that's needed is two more sets of holes in the flanges.

My only concern is the srength of the flanges. If you encounter a prop that's really seated on it's taper, they may bend or break.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 9:40am
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 9:41am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 9:42am
dual purpose, actually 3 purposes because it removes 3 and 4 bladers
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 10:46am
also works as a crank pulley in some engines.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:00am
Eric, I cant see your pics- but I assume that is the puller you had made that does the coupler removal as well? I thought you were going to make them available? I want one! I probably owe you a call anyways.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:03am
Was that prop on a cruise ship?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 11:10am
Eric, I'd buy one, too. That's much more versatile than a C puller. The hub on our Mustang is too small for a c puller to work. I installed the prop with Pete's instructions and now it does not want to pop off, (because it's seated well). I've seen your type of pullers online, but they don't look nearly as well built as yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic