Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4041424344 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:45pm
Do they make an oil detection meter?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:47pm
Some here may overestimate my skill.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:54pm
Starting to sound like 79 is back.

Oh yeah???? Well I bet I've done more than you.
Nuh uh!
Uh huh!
Nuh uh!
Uh huh!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:00pm
I like the discussion. There are disagreements and everyone states their case. In the end I try to make a good decision based on what I've learned from those who really have done it all. The important thing is that no feelings are hurt in the creation of this epic thread.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:08pm
42 pages, epic indeed!
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:35pm
5+ years, we should guess the water test day! Dibs on cinco de mayo!!! Lookin good John, keep up the good work
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 2:42pm
I will be lucky to splash it in June. This is not my only project.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 3:37pm
June of what year Johnny???
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 5:15pm
John,
Understand I can't take credit on the poultice method of getting the oil out of the wood. When I first ran into the problem was when I put the new bottom on the X55, I of course tried wiping with solvent and rags. It was very evident that with some sanding, I wasn't getting very much oil out since the sandpaper would just clog up with oil and sawdust. So, I went to one of my ACBS friends that had been around old boat bottoms a long time. He as the one who recommended the poultice method. You need something to draw the oil out and that's the oil dry. You have probably seen how well it works pulling oil out of a concrete floor. Later when I ran into that friend, we talked about the method and he mentioned it goes way back with marble workers removing stains. They would mix up talc and a solvent. I mentioned the method since although the CPES has strong solvents that will cut into the oils, I really don't know how the mix will affect the CPES. Mix up the poultice, get as much of the oil out as you can and don't just smear it around with rags!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 5:24pm
If the wood is full of oil, how can it rot?

Smear away!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 5:54pm
I happen to be a big fan of using the fullers earth method myself- sometimes the stuff is magic... I have considered combining it with a vacuum bag technique to the ultimate in dryulation but I am thinking the vacuum pump might not end up amused by the dust... If its sitting there with a spot I would probably just dump a 80lb bag on it in a pile and come back in a week and reclaim it with a shop vac and see how I did..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 6:00pm
Oh geez, I can see another oil debate coming, "what is the best oil to use to keep my stringers from rotting"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 6:36pm
Only FRAM filtered oil should be used!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 6:58pm
I have to go with Tim on this one. I never trust tubers and I have never seen any pics of Tim on a tube on this site.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I happen to be a big fan of using the fullers earth method myself- sometimes the stuff is magic...

Joe,
Yes, palygorskite does work magic plus it doesn't just smear the oil around!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 7:47pm
I love it when the engineers can not agree.

John how about an experiment of both methods with plenty of pictorial evidence and we will declare a winner
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Only FRAM filtered oil should be used!

Got that covered, every drop filtered by Fram!

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 9:35am
Looks like a perfect candidate for a cradle. Not that hard to make and would securely mount the engine to the existing stringers.

Mine is lagged down and then thru bolted to stringers
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Looks like a perfect candidate for a cradle. Not that hard to make and would securely mount the engine to the existing stringers

Mine is lagged down and then thru bolted to stringers

Well, some of you have skills. If I had done a Coosa stringer job that would have been a necessity. It looks great.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 7:45pm

Looks like a perfect candidate for a cradle.

Duane,
Why???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why???

The stringers are staying put. They are very solid except for where the rear engine mounting bolts pulled on the port stringer.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 9:57pm

Why???

The stringers are staying put. They are very solid except for where the rear engine mounting bolts pulled on the port stringer.

Duane,
Your boat or John's? If John's, he's repairing his stringers so I was asking why you felt the need for the cradle in his.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2017 at 10:01pm

Why???

It's nothing that some CPES, and epoxy with milled fiber won't fix. The bolt holes just need some attention in the top inch or so but they still hold the bolts tight. I like your cradle but i am going for a somewhat original look too. I'm really not sure why however, it's just going to be the family boat.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 2:39pm
I just couldn't help myself. I was drawn to the plater by a tractor beam.The lint really shows up on these.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 3:10pm
John,
Great find! Keep it original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 4:25pm
He didn't "find" anything Pete, he had them rechromed. The amazing thing is the turn around time
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 4:27pm

John,
Great find! Keep it original!

I had them all along. The 70 Mustang came with them but they were a bit pitted.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 4:34pm
Ok, looking at potentially taking on a re-chroming project, seems it will be easier to work with the complete set I have as opposed to trying to find stuff that might be in a little better shape then what I have.

So I have pitting and some discoloration of the chrome on my current pieces. What prep work did you do before you sent to be re-chromed, or does the re-chrome shop generally take care of that?,
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

He didn't "find" anything Pete, he had them rechromed. The amazing thing is the turn around time

CMP in Villa Park IL is always pretty fast, they almost always have stuff back within 4 weeks. These took 5 days.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

So I have pitting and some discoloration of the chrome on my current pieces. What prep work did you do before you sent to be re-chromed, or does the re-chrome shop generally take care of that?,

Steve most prep work done by the client has to be fixed by the plater,    Other than a cleaning if they're greasy I have never done anything to parts before I send them out.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4041424344 54>
  Share Topic