Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3536373839 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Only one person I can think of who is bold enough to do that and he knows what I would tell him! It's really tough to dial in the timing perfectly by feel or ear and you can easily do damage if you're not super careful. In the case above, it sounds like you got it pretty close to spot on... but I would have used a light to set it rather than the seat of my pants. The timing light does not lie.

Tim,
I'm shocked that you can't time an engine without a timing light and only know one person that will do it. We used to do it all the time at Watercraft Sales. It became so routine that the mechanics wouldn't even get their timing lights out. You advance the distributor to the max RPM and the retard it slightly. NEVER had any damaged engines!!!

I'm sure most of us have done it, but it is a bit like using a matchbook cover instead of a feeler gauge and dwell meter for final tune. With your attention to detail I would think you would like a more precise setting for something as important as timing.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:09pm
John gets it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:26pm
Back in Pete's day gasoline was gasoline too. Now you don't know if it's left over winter blend mixed with afternoon blend or what
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] Bruce, if you're not using a timing light to set the timing, what are you using?

After taking advice from a mutual friend, who told me he doesn't use a timing light, we just turned the distributor till it ran the best. We put a timing light on it just to see where it came in and the initial was about 13 and the final advance was 32+-.
warm up the engine. Advance it till it starts hard and back it off a little bit...good to go    As much as I love g/m the HEI is an eye sore on any engine.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] Bruce, if you're not using a timing light to set the timing, what are you using?

After taking advice from a mutual friend, who told me he doesn't use a timing light, we just turned the distributor till it ran the best. We put a timing light on it just to see where it came in and the initial was about 13 and the final advance was 32+-.
warm up the engine. Advance it till it starts hard and back it off a little bit...good to go    As much as I love g/m the HEI is an eye sore on any engine.

Although it doesn't look like the original crab cap, I don't find the DUI distributor to be an eye sore. IMO it has a pretty clean look and doesn't require an external coil. The cap comes in black, blue, red, yellow, and clear to make it look similar to OEM and it is available for RR engines.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:33pm
I don't think they look bad either, and they can always be swapped out for the original look.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

.Start sacrificing parts just to get something not OE on where do you stop? Get rid of those motor mounts PCM's are better,get rid of that YL there are better. Those exhausts? there are better of those too, slippery road........pretty soon it don't look like a HM.

Deja vu, Must be icy up north
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 12:58pm

I don't think they look bad either, and they can always be swapped out for the original look.

Hmmm, a YL with a tach drive and a clamp on crab cap, what does that fit?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 1:01pm
427 FE
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 1:30pm

.Start sacrificing parts just to get something not OE on where do you stop? Get rid of those motor mounts PCM's are better,get rid of that YL there are better. Those exhausts? there are better of those too, slippery road........pretty soon it don't look like a HM.

Deja vu, Must be icy up north

Gary, this this thing will get a lot of use with multiple drivers. I expect around 150 hours a year judging on the Supra use last year. The only adjustments are the points and the carb. Once set the carb requires little to no adjustment. I just need super reliable. One family member in particular is happiest at WOT, I feel compelled to post the little culprit's photo. She really prefers the old stuff. I am plannning on trying my rebuilt YL for now and see how it goes. With any luck Barney, the purple Supra, will remain in storage this year.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2017 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

[QUOTE=Riley]
Hmmm, a YL with a tach drive and a clamp on crab cap, what does that fit?

You have seen one before, you probably just don't remember sensory overload!
Mallory had a nice electronic conversion kit at one time called E Spark,I think the Accel system was the same,might want to see if it's still made. Edit: here it is -
Mallory espark
Quite extensive installation though,I seem to remember you needed to remove the points cam,so I chickened out because I did not want to disassemble it that far. Did you see if Advance Distributor will work on yours?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 4:46am
That is a beautiful thing Gary, always happy to see it. You have set the gold standard with that SS and I am tickled that you took me for a ride in it and let me drive it a few years back. Your distributor is different from the ones on my engines, Mine have no tach drive, brass vent screens (marine), brackets that support a screw down cap, and the ID tag is held on by one of the screws for the screw down cap bracket. The Mallory model # of mine is YL445KV, There are slight differences between the 69 and 70 model distributors I have, but it is mainly the method of retaining the gear drive and the advance weights. The Mallory Espark is NLA.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 4:59am
I picked up the windshield frame from the anodizing shop today, they did a great job on the bright dip, it looks just like the original finish. There are some imperfections in the metal, but they are minor. I chose the best frame parts I had and had CMP strip the anodizing and polish the aluminum to prepare them for the new anodizing. When polishing metal there is a thin line to walk between polishing out all the imperfections and polishing out the detail of the casting or extrusion. I find that CMP walks that line very well.
I put in some hours on the distributor tonight as well. I have chosen the best parts from the two and have it pretty much cleaned up for assembly, maybe tomorrow. Two of the plastic advance weight bushings are damaged, one broke when I picked it up and one had a very small chip out of it. I was able to salvage two, enough to make a good distributor.
If anyone is interested in some of the other projects underway in my garage you can check out "John's Late Night Garage" on FB. There you will see some of the projects that have held me back on the Mustang progress. It's a closed group but I will approve you, my standards couldn't be lower. If you have one of these Mallory YL distributors I suggest you disassemble, inspect, and lubricate it from time to time. Mine looked good from the outside and the engine ran, but the advance plate was frozen on the shaft and both advance weights were frozen to their pivots. I have included a couple photos of the AIRCRAFT PAINT STRIPPER I used. It suffers from an identity crisis. The directions on the back get a bit weird.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 7:10am
John,
From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like the distributor advance will clean up nicely and you will end up with a good working unit. The advance may not be perfect but the mechanicals never were plus as I mentioned, you're not out there racing the lakes of MW's!! The plastic bushings can be purchased from McMaster. Considering they broke, they are nylon. Nylon becomes brittle with age and especially when it dries out. The old trick to keep nylon from breaking is to soak it in water over night! Springs look good in that they are not stretched out. Keep the crab!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 10:21am
The windshield frames came out great. They look original, much different than the ones we have that were redone. Putting the frame back on the glass is a scary job. We had a friend at a glass shop that helped us with ours. He had new felt, a padded work bench and a soft mallet to tap the frame on the glass.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 10:39am
What did you use as a gasket between the glass and the frame Bruce, felt? Mine had some sort of hard gasket material that could have been but had broke into pieces. I ended up using a cork/rubber material used in the glass industry,it was soaked in kerosene to install. Like you said not an easy job.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 10:52am
Gary, I don't remember exactly what it was, but the original stuff we had was too brittle and this guy had it as stock in his shop. He specializes in car windshields.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 1:10pm
I am a bit apprehensive about assembling the windshield. I will use the original materials to set the glass, cork and rubber blend glass setting tape for the perimeter frame and the gray rubber U channel for the center support frame if I can find it. I may have to settle for black U channel since I have not sourced the gray yet. Not much is visible so I think it will be OK either way. . I will need to take a measurement to determine the correct thickness of the tape before ordering it.
Glass setting tapeToo thick and it will take a lot of mallet blows to install the perimeter frame and may cause too much stress on the glass (and me), too thin and it may be loose and succumb to the pounding it is sure to get out on the lakes. I have a lot of work to do before I get to the windshield. If I run into problems or lose my confidence I will take it to the body shop that does all my work. I have known these guys for years and they do fantastic work. I am sure one of their glass technicians will be able to help me.
Addison Auto BodyFor now the plan is to concentrate on the power unit and move on to making a wiring harness next but that could change, there are a lot of projects on the burner at John's Late Night Garage.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 7:06pm

John,
From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like the distributor advance will clean up nicely and you will end up with a good working unit. The advance may not be perfect but the mechanicals never were plus as I mentioned, you're not out there racing the lakes of MW's!! The plastic bushings can be purchased from McMaster. Considering they broke, they are nylon. Nylon becomes brittle with age and especially when it dries out. The old trick to keep nylon from breaking is to soak it in water over night! Springs look good in that they are not stretched out. Keep the crab!

Pete, you nailed it. I found the bushings at McMaster. Who'd a thunk it? Guess I will pick up a couple. Mine will work but you can't beat new, wait, I guess that's what I'm trying to do, avoid the precision of a new unit for the asthetics of a crabby cap that dwells unseen in the dark beneath a heavy fiberglass box. Sometimes I really wonder why I'm doing this.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

John,

Pete, you nailed it. I found the bushings at McMaster. Who'd a thunk it? Guess I will pick up a couple. Mine will work but you can't beat new, wait, I guess that's what I'm trying to do, avoid the precision of a new unit for the asthetics of a crabby cap that dwells unseen in the dark beneath a heavy fiberglass box. Sometimes I really wonder why I'm doing this.

I'm not sure why you and Pete seem to think there's no precision in a spring and flyweight setup, you mentioned a DUI somewhere along the way, what do you think it's got for advance control? Yup, flyweights and springs. Plenty of others that use them too.

Now,if you want a new one and a crab cap, look at the link below. The precision of new and the look of old

NOS YL445 KV

There it is, the same distributor and brand new but sitting on a shelf for a decade or 3.. It's on the internet so it must be true. You can even add it to your cart and it will let you continue without saying "out of stock" or anything like that. A smart person would call and verify first

By the way, a couple of days ago I mentioned that I'd send you some good flyweights and bushings and an advance plate. The advance plate is newer than what you have and has adjustable advance stops but is an exact fit.

My price is a little less than one penny with free shipping to boot just send a PM with your address.

You should be able to easily make a good working backup distributor with this stuff and what you have.

I might even be able to find a couple of used springs and tell you what the advance curve is if you use the springs and weights as a set.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 10:46pm
Hi Ken, I really appreciate your input. I think the YL would be just fine in perfect condition, it's just that, even after addressing all the problems, it's not. I don't profess to speak for Pete, but I believe he is in favor of original equipment and would argue that the YL is fine. I appreciate his input in locating replacement bushings for the advance weights, they are one of the areas of most cocern. The bushings are very brittle to the point that I broke one carefully picking it up and I was only able to salvage the two I need. I believe the force created from running at high RPM would cause them to fracture giving compromised performance at best. The other area is the springs. They look pretty good now that I have cleaned them and the advance weights and plate were frozen in the retracted position so they had no force on them while the boat sat unused since about 2000. One advance plate is shot, it has wear marks where the advance weight studs ride and it would cause a detent in the primary advance position and suddenly advance to a proper setting when the rpm gets to some point to overcome the detent. The better plate has very slight detectable wear and i think it will function acceptably, but it has lost a bit of precision. The shaft bushings and the rest of it is in very nice shape. I am going with the electronic conversion, it can be changed back in very short order by just removing it and installing a points plate and setting the timing.
Thank you for your offer, I would like to have a spare distributor ready to go just in case.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 10:27am
Hi John

Got your PM,,parts will be headed your way

KenO
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 11:42am
John, I am very interested in this portion of your rebuild. Can you provide the page or part number for the bushings you found. I have a YL 520CV distributor that I will be rebuilding for my 260 Omc. My parts book does not even show a number for those bushings but a view of them. I also need to keep my fingers crossed on the "black" advance springs. Didn't mean to interrupt your posts. Thanks!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by swilliams swilliams wrote:

John, I am very interested in this portion of your rebuild. Can you provide the page or part number for the bushings you found. I have a YL 520CV distributor that I will be rebuilding for my 260 Omc. My parts book does not even show a number for those bushings but a view of them. I also need to keep my fingers crossed on the "black" advance springs. Didn't mean to interrupt your posts. Thanks!

No problem, Steve. This thread is crazy so anything goes here. The advance weight pivot shafts on my YL are 1/4" and the pivot hole in the weights is 0.290 so that translates to about 19/64 and the thickness or the weights is .37 .The bushing im looking at is the one for a 1/4" shaft. The original does not have a flange but I believe there is stufficient clearance for a flange bushing, it may even ride smoother. If you look t my exploded photo you can see it originally was bushed with a thrust washer as a running surface. The listed bearing is slightly longer than the original (3/8 as opposed to 9/32 for the replacement) so the length may need to be cut down a bit. You can accomplish this on the flange end if you want it exact but I see a benefit of having it run on the nylon flange. Click on split flange bushing on the top left of the page that comes up. I can't link to the correct page.
McMaster-Carr split sleeve nylon bushings

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 1:39pm
Just a little coffee talk here this morning. This thread is mislabeled. It should be rants of a crazy boat hack or something like that. This is not a restoration since I am only afddressing the issues with the boat. It will have some chips and scratches and I don't intend to do a gel coat job on it. It is more like a refurbishment of a survivor. We will put our own signature damage on it through the years as we enjoy it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 2:10pm
Your thread John reminds me as just a bunch of us sitting around talking about one of our favorite subjects.
I think this is the bushing here

Click on the part number then on product detail and it comes up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 3:43pm

Your thread John reminds me as just a bunch of us sitting around talking about one of our favorite subjects.
I think this is the bushing here

Click on the part number then on product detail and it comes up.

That's it Gary.
I hope the administrators don't mind the ramblings with occasional useful information thrown in.

swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 5:09pm
Thanks, the flanged type makes sense. I'll get a few extra because I know I will screw at least one of them up!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 12:50pm
Hi John

Some more ramblings for the thread.

Post office says the parts will be there Thursday.

Here's a picture of what I sent

If you use the weights, springs and advance plate you should end up with a mechanical advance curve of

500    0 plus initial          

800   0 plus initial

1000   2 plus initial

1500   6 plus initial

2000   12 plus initial

2500   20 plus initial

2800   22 plus initial

3000   24 plus initial

anything over 3000 the same 24 limited by the advance stops that are set for 24 degrees

With 10 degrees initial you'd end up with 10 degrees at idle and 34 degrees at 3000 or above.

The springs are a mystery as far as what color they once were, but they worked well with the weights.

The points cam should work with your rotor and the points are some lightly used genuine Mallory that I think say in real small letters they were made south of the border
where burrito's come from

KenO
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi John

Some more ramblings for the thread.

Post office says the parts will be there Thursday.

If you use the weights, springs and advance plate you should end up with a mechanical advance curve of

500    0 plus initial          

800   0 plus initial

1000   2 plus initial

1500   6 plus initial

2000   12 plus initial

2500   20 plus initial

2800   22 plus initial

3000   24 plus initial

anything over 3000 the same 24 limited by the advance stops that are set for 24 degrees

With 10 degrees initial you'd end up with 10 degrees at idle and 34 degrees at 3000 or above.

The springs are a mystery as far as what color they once were, but they worked well with the weights.

The points cam should work with your rotor and the points are some lightly used genuine Mallory that I think say in real small letters they were made south of the border

WOW, thanks. That advance plate is quite different. It looks like an improved version more resistant to wear. The curve specs will come in handy for checking the advance but I will need to index the balancer. Holman Moody thought it was a good idea to use a standard rotation balancer on a RR engine and just cut a line into it for the timiing mark. It is indexed for standard rotation. This must have thrown off an owner or two over the years. It's not a case of somwone replacing the balancer, both of my H/M engines are like this.

KenO

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3536373839 54>
  Share Topic