Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3334353637 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 6:07am
John,
Have you calculated the capacity of the tank? Did the OEM offer the tank on the engine mount or did you think of the idea? If it was your idea, I love it! Great thinking!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Have you calculated the capacity of the tank? Did the OEM offer the tank on the engine mount or did you think of the idea? If it was your idea, I love it! Great thinking!

Pete,
I highly doubt there was an OEm offering for this because of pontoon being so old. but this is the common practice for newer pontoon boats today, if you weren't aware.

I'd love to have this feature on our pontoon boat, but not sure if i would want to go through the hassle!

John have you taken any pictures of it mounted, any idea on tank capacity?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 4:38pm
Hi Pete. The capacity is 20 gallons to the bottom of the filler neck and it leaves a bit of room for expansion, although almost none is needed. Since the aluminum top side is reflective and the bottom of the tank is in the lake water the fuel is always lake temperature. This significantly reduces the exposure of the fuel to moisture in the atmosphere since it doesn't "breathe" through daily heating and cooling cycles. It's probably not that big of deal to me though since ethanol free marine fuel is all they sell at Greers Pier. New pontoon boats commonly use a plastic tank inserted into the engine tunnel so it doesn't provide the same heat sync property. I suspect they do that because it is pretty labor intensive to do all the welding required to make the tunnel into a tank and install all the bungs and fittings.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 5:13pm
How in the world did this Mustang thread get turned into a mini van of the seas thread?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How in the world did this Mustang thread get turned into a mini van of the seas thread?

The same lack of focus that has turned this Mustang restoration into a five year project. And now I have another distraction. Sigh.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 2:02pm
That's what happens when your retired,as you well know John I'm just finishing up a flooring project when I'd rather be doing more fun stuff.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2016 at 2:15pm

I'm just finishing up a flooring project when I'd rather be doing more fun stuff.

Gary,
Where did you purchase the flooring and supplies needed for the project?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2016 at 11:50pm
Pete I just saw this,I'm just the installer
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 2:00am
I'm still hoping someone with a 16' Mustang with a Ford and a fiberglass engine cover can tell me how much clearance there is to the flame arrestor. I want to get my manifold ordered but I need 1.5" to clear.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 9:55am
You're talking the motorbox that was generally used 70+, right? Flat top version. Eddy performer RPM will fit without a carb spacer. Reid runs a HM intake on his 347 '73 with the same box, I can't recall if he still used the hm wedge spacer. Might be worth digging up a pic of his orange/white Mustang, John. I think it would fit though. May require a 2" arrestor.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 11:46am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You're talking the motorbox that was generally used 70+, right? Flat top version. Eddy performer RPM will fit without a carb spacer. Reid runs a HM intake on his 347 '73 with the same box, I can't recall if he still used the hm wedge spacer. Might be worth digging up a pic of his orange/white Mustang, John. I think it would fit though. May require a 2" arrestor.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 11:53am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Thanks Tim, it is the flat top. I want to run the H/M aluminum intake with a set of Ford M-6049-X306 heads or Flo-Tek aluminum heads . The original C8OE heads need too much work to make them right.
Lee Holman told me the intake is 1.5" taller than original cast iron. I would prefer to have the original arrestor. I didn't know that that running the engine without the wedge carb spacer was an option. Seems like it would be difficult to adjust the float level for proper operation, especially on acceleration.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 12:20pm
You'd have to change the pvc arraignment too. Not a big deal but where do you stop? Quit messing around with it put the stock manifold on for now,it's now less than 11 months to the next full on GL. Change it out later if need be when you actually will have the height dimensions in hand. My 2cents.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 12:32pm
If the stock arrestor is 3-4" tall, you're going to have a problem keeping it... That's a lot of wasted space. 2" is the minimum to fit over the j-tubes and was the norm on many marinizations of the time (interceptor and conqueror-crusader, amongst others).

If the wedge doesn't impact height significantly, run it by all means. HM was one of the few companies using the wedge. Interceptor and Waukesha/PCM are 2 notable examples that didn't. No issue with the carb angle, I usually don't set the float heights any different either.

I would disagree with Gary and plan to bolt that HM manifold on. Good chance it's the same one Reid is running. I'd really advise you to look at his set up. Sacrifice the flame arrestor if needed.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 3:18pm
Gary, the PCV is in a line from the valve cover to the carb wedge.. The H/M intake is a direct bolt on and has the same vacuum ports and bosses as the iron one. My understanding is it flows better and is about 10# lighter than the iron one and the ports are slightly larger and match the Ford X or the Flo-Tek heads. A little port matching may still be required as in any application. The H/M intake is just a little period correct bling. I don't think the boat needs more power than it originally had but the aluminum heads are about the same price as reworking the C8OEs. And I lose 50#. The heads are reportedly good for 65hp with nothing else and there are dyno pulls published to back that up. As I said that's not the purpose, but if I have to spend the $$$ I may as well get something for it.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 4:05pm
Im not saying not to put it on Im saying get the boat done first it can be put on later when you have more time to mess around.Start sacrificing parts just to get something not OE on where do you stop? Get rid of those motor mounts PCM's are better,get rid of that YL there are better. Those exhausts? there are better of those too, slippery road........pretty soon it don't look like a HM.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 4:38pm

Im not saying not to put it on Im saying get the boat done first it can be put on later when you have more time to mess around.Start sacrificing parts just to get something not OE on where do you stop? Get rid of those motor mounts PCM's are better,get rid of that YL there are better. Those exhausts? there are better of those too, slippery road........pretty soon it don't look like a HM.

Gary, I'm not doing the assembly, just sending the parts to the machine shop/engine builder. I will get it back ready to run. My time is better spent on other stuff. Right now I'm suffering from purple distraction like Jan feared, but the summer will be over soon.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 1:43pm
I have searched and can't find a thread regarding available performance 351/302 RR camshafts. I remember reading about some being available and I am curious about the specs. I am considering going with a new one just because the engine is fresh and I'm not sure I want to risk the build on an old camshaft. As long as I'm at it one with a little more juice may be in order to go with the aluminum heads. I would appreciate being pointed to any information available.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 2:02pm
Cam research .460 (1.6 ratio) lift. Options are pretty limited.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 12:43pm
John, glad to see you're back to working on this beast! Did you finish the stringers?
1970 Mustang
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 1:06pm

I have searched and can't find a thread regarding available performance 351/302 RR camshafts. I remember reading about some being available and I am curious about the specs. I am considering going with a new one just because the engine is fresh and I'm not sure I want to risk the build on an old camshaft. As long as I'm at it one with a little more juice may be in order to go with the aluminum heads. I would appreciate being pointed to any information available.

Comp Cams have the RR blanks in stock and can give you just about any grind you need. I went with .486 lift and 1.6 roller rockers.
For the money, it is hard to beat FloTek heads. They are a nice piece. Order them from Speedway motors for $369 ea. delivered. The ones built for Speedway have slightly lighter springs and the smaller runners. Both are good for our setups. You can call the factory and talk to them. They recommend Speedway Motors.
Should really liven up your boat and get rid of weight.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 4:05pm

I think I have the answer to the 10.5 : 1 C/R on my 69 & 70 HMs. I located information on a 302 4V head that was available in 1968 J=code Mustangs and Shelby GT350s. It was similar to mine, but had 58cc chambers with 10 : 1 C/R and 230HP in the J-code 302. The 4 speed J-code cars heads had smog ports but the automatics did not. A Ford engine rebuilding site said this: "The elusive 1968 302-4V head is unique for its smaller 53.5-cc chambers, which increase compression". There is a variation on these heads I found reference to on some Mustang threads. These heads have a casting number of C9OE which indicates it is a 351 head, but it clearly has 302 cast into them. All of these heads I can find mentioned have a casting date of February or March of 1969 and were cast at the Cleveland Foundry. My head shows a casting date of March 14, 1969 (9C14). According to my research and that of others who posted on the threads, these heads are not mentioned in any Ford or engine rebuilding specifications. Some call these heads a 1969 non- L4 change head. These heads reportedly have a 53.5 cc chamber, no step on the rocker studs, no lash caps, and one piece spring retainers. According to what I have found these heads are very hard to come by. According to some they can be machined to accept 1.94/1.50 valves, but some suggest that this may reduce the charge velocity and thereby reduce the low end torque while possibly increasing the upper end a bit. In light of this I am questioning whether there really is a benefit to the GT40P heads since they have a larger chamber creating lower C/R These 302 heads appear to have been specially made for applications not related to Ford retail products. I suspect they were cast for Shelby and Holman Moody like some of the other parts and that is why there is no information available on them. I will keep the original heads and spend the $$$ to have them checked and reworked if necessary.

:

Bump... Reid and I were discussing HM heads today and wanted him to see this. I believe he had come to the same conclusion regarding the 10.5:1 CR.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2016 at 3:03am
I got a nice email about the origin of my boat today. The short block is done at the machine shop waiting for heads, intake, and valve train. I got by with .030 and pistons with the same dish volume to keep the 10.5 : 1 CR. After toying with many possibilities a decision about how to finish it must be made soon. I am now seriously considering ditching the aluminum heads/ intake idea and tearing down my spare H/M engine and inspecting those heads for water jacket scale, then having the best pair reworked and keeping it all original. I can always buy the aluminum heads if I'm unhappy with the performance when I'm done. I suspect it will be adequate for our use.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2016 at 5:27pm

I got a nice email about the origin of my boat today. The short block is done at the machine shop waiting for heads, intake, and valve train. I got by with .030 and pistons with the same dish volume to keep the 10.5 : 1 CR. After toying with many possibilities a decision about how to finish it must be made soon. I am now seriously considering ditching the aluminum heads/ intake idea and tearing down my spare H/M engine and inspecting those heads for water jacket scale, then having the best pair reworked and keeping it all original. I can always buy the aluminum heads if I'm unhappy with the performance when I'm done. I suspect it will be adequate for our use.

Is that spare engine still located in that Secure location?
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2016 at 10:51pm
Still there Peter, at least I hope I find it there when I go to MW later in the week. I plan on picking up the heads and taking both sets to the machine shop and letting them decide which to rework. The negine will be done about 2 weeks after I deliver them.
I hope to see you next summer, keep me in the loop if you make any decisions on that Mustang of yours.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2016 at 6:01pm

Still there Peter, at least I hope I find it there when I go to MW later in the week. I plan on picking up the heads and taking both sets to the machine shop and letting them decide which to rework. The negine will be done about 2 weeks after I deliver them.
I hope to see you next summer, keep me in the loop if you make any decisions on that Mustang of yours.

Yes I will! I plan to pull it out and take some pictures this year, we most likely wont be up until late July next year.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2016 at 4:25am

Just laying things out.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2016 at 4:50pm

I think this is the last installment of bling.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2016 at 6:13pm
I learned from Courtesy Metal Polishers, the plater that did my chrome, that the finish on the windshield frame is bright anodizing. I have located a shop several miles from me that does bright anodizing. The process requires that the original anodizing is removed and the aluminum is polished. Courtesy can do this. The polished aluminum can then be anodized and it should look like new. Looks like I just can't stop this train, there is always one more thing. I wondered why aluminum polish had no effect on the finish. I was told the anodizing is a very hard finish. My other options are chrome, or leave it polished aluminum, but that requires periodic maintenance to keep it nice.
Cheers!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2016 at 2:31am
I got my windshield back. I'm tempted to leave it polished. I'll need to think about this for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3334353637 54>
  Share Topic