Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 10:21am
Yeah just put in about 1/5 the elbow grease you did on the Dog House and i'm sure you'll be happy with the results.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 10:35am
John, that looks like mine- I don't believe they are coated. Try polishing if you want to improve the look, I've seen that pontoon, I know you're up for it.

Deck looks shiny! Is the boat white or cream?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, that looks like mine- I don't believe they are coated. Try polishing if you want to improve the look, I've seen that pontoon, I know you're up for it.

Deck looks shiny! Is the boat white or cream?

Haha, i forgot about his Bass Tracker, on a sunny day I can see John coming from far far away.
1970 Mustang
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 11:37pm
Its funny we have a hard time finding a good upholster every time I'm looking at a wood boat site their custom seats looks awesome.
I'm now in the market for a sewing machine.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 11:58pm
Yes, it does seem they are hard to come by. I thought I had a good guy when I had him do the Atom but then when he did the X, it was a disaster. He was supposed to make new foam but used the old and stuffed the low spots with cotton batting. Not good for a marine application. So, I did find another who did both auto and marine. He had a great looking portfolio and his work did turn out fantastic.

When researching an upholsterer, ask for pictures. I've found it to be a good indicator of his skills.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 12:12am
And to Pete's point any shop that is proud of what the do will have plenty of pictures and supply references
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:42am
The Mustang is Taffy Ivory I believe, Tim, every inch of it without anything of contrast. No boot stripe, chocks, horn, or hardware on the deck.. It is many shades from white. My car next to it is what I would call "refrigerator white". It is coming along nicely and is quite shiny after the 3M #1 compounding. Two more levels and countless hours to go. There is a very pronounced "print through" visible and it becomes more noticeable as I continue to polish, as do all the blemishes, dings, and scratches. The fiberglass is not as straight as I would expect. The boat I sold was a lot straighter than the Mustang. Do these things show signs of stress with very high hours. The print through is shows well in the reflection of my cars body side moulding in the second photo and the reflection in the third.

I checked out another local shop, it was the most fun I have had in a while. The guy has about 25 RC airplanes hanging, RC boats, a beautiful hot rod of his own, an band set up in the back, and beautiful work to show. This guy is also the owner of a Powerboat boat that was featured in Hot Boat magazine and was once used by the Bartlett Ski Show in the Dells. It is one of 3 that still exist and he races it at Blarney Island.

Power cat boat

He wants $500-$700 each for the front buckets, $570 for the rear pads, and unknown on the side panels since I didn't have them with me. This includes all the foam and new pads.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 2:19am
Looking good John. How's your wife?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Looking good John. How's your wife?

Getting better by the day! She is restless because she can't do anything yet. A few more months and things will be more normal. I can now get some buffing done and run out for short periods. There is so much to do on this thing.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 8:06am
Glad to hear it, john- the gel is looking great. According to the cc guys, a bit of print through was the sign of a good gel job, so wear it proudly! Price on the seats is in the ballpark for quality work, id say. Have you decide on color? Adding a boot stripe?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 9:29am
The gel is looking great. Our Mustang has a fair amount of print through, on the deck and hull. Are you going to remove that H/M thing on the transom?

Start collecting photos to show how you want the interior done. We had a lady in NH do ours. She does great work, but we provided her with plenty of photos and instructions for every detail. I made 3 trips to NH to make sure she understood exactly what we wanted. She was really good to work with and never gave me the feeling that she thought I was a PIA. She got it all right. I'd say a good interior person won't mind spending plenty of time going over the details as long as you know exactly what you want.

You may be able to do the side panels yourself. They're just vinyl over plywood, no padding.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 10:00am
Looking great John. If he does the seats like he did the ones on his Powercat that's incredible. Side panels were the most time consuming thing I've done. I think those should be the last things done because they fit tight and if you change floor height you might have trouble fitting them. I also cpes'd some plywood blocks and mounted them on the backside of the pan where the bottoms of the side panels attach to give the screws something other than the plain glass to hold to. The pockets will need to be sewn but yes you can do them yourself.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:20pm
I think you're teasing me about removing the logo on the transom Bruce. As far as I have been able to determine it most likely came with that. I know it was on in about 73 from talking to the second owner. My other Mustang was badged with a H/M logo as well but it was different.
I am thinking maroon and cream ( taffy ivory) for the interior. With maroon for the base color and the creme as the inserts. Probably no boot stripe, at least not this year. As it gets shinier I am becoming fond of the monotone. I think the fresh chrome and windshield will be just enough bling, and I need to concentrate on the things that will get it to Green Lake and worry about the minutia later.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:27pm
The maroon will look nice as the base color. That means side pockets will be maroon too, right? That'll break up the monotone.

I don't think Bruce was being facetious, I'd bet the sticker was added by an owner, not the factory (I've seen plenty of HM's and never seen the sticker on the transom). I'd pull it off, personally- but that's just me.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 1:34pm
I wasn't being facetious. I doubt it's original, but nice boat anyway if you leave it. It may look nice without the boot stripe. You'll know once it's in the water. The maroon will compliment it nicely.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I think you're teasing me about removing the logo on the transom Bruce.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I don't think Bruce was being facetious, I'd bet the sticker was added by an owner, not the factory (I've seen plenty of HM's and never seen the sticker on the transom). I'd pull it off, personally- but that's just me.

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wasn't being facetious. I doubt it's original,

I'm not going facetious ether!!
John,
My 70 Cuda with the H/M didn't have one and I have never seen it on a CC!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 8:45pm
Interesting, both of my Mustangs had H/M logos on them although they are not the same. The 69 had a round one on the sides.

And this one had a logo on the dash although I can't verify it is original although the boat is pretty much unmolested except for the rear seat cushions and the steering wheel.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2015 at 8:57pm
Just proud owners I think, John... Those stickers are widely available.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2015 at 1:08pm
John,
What did you do with that Blue one?

Also do you store yours at North Country Sport?
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2015 at 2:50pm
The blue one at the bottom of the Vilas County Landfill, Peter. You must recognize the inside of North Country in the photo. It has a new owner and is Waters Marine now. That Mustang is almost the twin to mine. It lives on Little Star, but I have only seen it on the water once in the 13 years I have been up there.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2015 at 3:20pm
Some of you may have missed this comment on another post regarding a very special SN (Stars and Stripes Ski Nautique). I will leave this alone after this post. I like the big sticker so I'm leaving it on.

wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 7:50pm
Hey guys, just had to check in and let you know, that we picked up my daughter's graduation present yesterday. It's a 1972 Mustang. It's not original, not a collector's boat. But it runs hard and she likes it a lot.

John, sorry for moderate thread jacking.

Your boat is looking awesome, I wish I had the time for that.

Wade
wade
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 5:10pm
Please post photos for us to see.
It never fails. I looked in the for sale section just for fun and found the boat I would have preferred over the Mustang. Too late now I guess,
The boat I would have preferred

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2015 at 5:03pm
John, pretty cool, i thought that wasn't yours, i think that's the one i told you to go look at if i remember correctly....would love to get that someday.
1970 Mustang
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 6:17pm
I belive I've saw a 67-69 mustang on YouTube that looked all original, and it had a Holman moody design sort of like that on the transom. So I belive it could be original.

Here's the video: I hope it's not the same boat
1972 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 6:28pm
That is my boat in a video made by the PO when it was for sale. Thanx.

Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

That is my boat in a video made by the PO when it was for sale. Thanx.

Darn, I had a funny feeling that it might have been the same boat. But I'm still going with it being original. If it had a H/M in it, mabye a worker or a special person had it put on specially for him\her. Even if it's not oriinal, I say keep it on. It's unique, and I like unique.
1972 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:38am
It comes as no surprise to anyone that I am a slug when it comes to getting my projects done. I have been doing a bit here and there on that well worn and somewhat tired Mustang I bought, but there is still so much to do. I have more hours in buffing than some of you have in a complete restoration. It's not always good to be the turtle.
I had to test fit some pieces for encouragement. I have been polishing small parts and waiting for my gauges to start the wiring. I am trying to keep moving forward with questionable results..

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:52am
Looking good though John. What did you decide on the interior?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 1:03am
I think I will go with Ed's in Villa Park. There are many things to complete first, but I have a plan now. A scheme like yours is the only way to go IMO. Different colors though. My boat is pure vanilla.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 54>
  Share Topic