Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Also I need to fix my stern light, so if anyone has one for sale, i'm all for it!

What's wrong with it or do you just want to spend some money??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 7:38pm
It only takes 1 outing to blow up your boat.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:22pm
I received very good news today. Jan had her 1 week check up with the surgeon today. He was very happy with the result. Jan is doing well but still on strong pain meds. She is able to walk around and if she keeps progressing like this the Dr said she may not need PT. He recommended that she is very careful not to bend, lift, or twist, but that she walks as much as possible. Jan is on the phone with a friend right now laughing. Part of the reason the recovery of the injured nerves is so fast is because it was done so quickly after it surfaced. I had no idea a recovery like this was possible. It is such great news. Jan likes to walk so it should work out really well with the weather improving and I should be able to put in some time on the Mustang very soon.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:29pm
Awesome news!
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:35pm
Good to hear,sounds like it was harder on you than the patient! Give her our best John
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 10:21am
John,
Thats awesome news.. Tell her to mind the doctors though, they know what they are talking about. Worked wonders for me going through the replacement surgeries !!! Green Lake baby !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 10:42am
God is Great! A positive attitude on her part is half the battle. Wonderful to here.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Also I need to fix my stern light, so if anyone has one for sale, i'm all for it!

What's wrong with it or do you just want to spend some money??

It's missing parts and it's a slide into the boat kind, would rather have one like John and Gary's.

Honestly this is a great question actually, i do know something is wrong with it, i just forget what, so my thought is yes, just buy a new one and put it in and not *************** around with the old broken pitted one.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:12am
JOhn also, happy to hear about the great news.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2015 at 7:27pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:20pm
I am able to get out to the garage for short periods so I'm playing with the Mudstang wiring. I am trying different cleaners to get the plastic fuse holders clean and looking good. I tried cleaner wax and buffing compound. It works OK. Has anyone done this before with good results?
BTW the wire looms came apart and the wires are in remarkably good condition, especially the 8 pin H/M engine package loom. I will likely reuse them after repairing a couple spots where the insulation was fractured and several where someone felt the need to use a vampire. I hope it's not possible they did this new to connect that fuel gauge illumination light to the bulb in the boat that didn't have a mechanical gauge. kinda looks that way..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:41pm
John,
The fuse holders aren't worth tying to clean up. Get new ones. McMaster has them. You do have some work to do on the wiring. Get rid of those insulation displacing connectors. 3M made a real bad choice with designing what I consider to be the worst connector ever. Your 1/4" quick connects are also real corroded. Start from scratch and use the best crimp on's with adhesive lined heat shrink. Use only tinned marine grade wire.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 1:32am
Yes Pete, I don't use the vampire connectors on my wheelbarrow. I like solder and shrink tube on everything. The H/M loom stays. Do the replacement fuse holders look just like the originals? I know you're right and I e done it on most every other thing. Guess I'm just trying to hang on to original in some of the wrong places.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 7:42am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Do the replacement fuse holders look just like the originals?

Yes, they are Bussman's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 12:02pm
Great news on Jan. Praying that the recovery continues to go well.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Great news on Jan. Praying that the recovery continues to go well.

Thank you Kevin.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:13am
I have a complete 69 Mustang SS H/M wiring harness. It has the original 8 pin connector and terminal ends. Just putting it out there in case someone needs a pattern. I have no use, I'm just going to box it in case.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 7:59am
John, I am guessing the harness is the same as most from the time period. The harness with the 8-pin connector is still available from SkiDIM.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:59pm
Can you show me a link Tim?

John are you planning on using the new Dash plate?
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:28pm
Why is the spam filter rejecting my post?

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:40pm
Two nights of buffing the motor box and rear seat with #1, almost time to move on to number 2. There are some issues, mostly with the motorboat, but I keep reminding myself that the finish is 45 years old.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:43pm
John,
It looks great from the 20 or so miles I'm at! Really, it's looking good. How are your arms holding up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:54pm
Damn John... Come do mine next, ha.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
It looks great from the 20 or so miles I'm at! Really, it's looking good. How are your arms holding up?

I may need you to help lift the glass to my lips tomorrow.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 9:32am
Very nice John. the boat should look like new when you get done.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 10:05am
Looking great John,looking foward to seeing it soon but not your weather!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 4:19am
Hello,
Thanks to all of you for the great thread. I am going to buy a Correct Craft this spring, (not my first boat). I am looking at a 1969 Mustang, that looks to be in good shape. The owner has owned it for 35 years. He says it ran two years ago, and that there are issues with the exhaust manifolds. One of them is fixed and the other needs to be fixed. Anyone have an opinion as to how big a job this is? I will find out what motor is in it tomorrow.

Thanks and sorry about thread jacking.

Wade
wade
wadeonminnetonka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeonminnetonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 4:22am
Also, I don't know if this will help or not. I have not ever repaired stringers on an old boat. However, I was an "old house" carpenter for twenty years or so.

When I found rot in a part of a house that I did not want to replace, I fixed it with Liqwood and Woodepox from Abatron. It worked great on repairing rotted areas. There are repairs that I made in structural beams in the early 90's that look like the day I walked away from them.

Wade
wade
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 5:07am
Welcome Wade.
I am looking forward to some photos in the near future if you decide to go for it. IThe first Mustang I looked at when I was shopping was on Lake Minnetonka. It was a complete one owner boat. I passed because it had serious rot issues.
I am curious. what made you decide on a Mustang? They are very small, easy to trailer and store, and in my opinion, a very classic looking boat. Some of the guys here that are more active in watersports can give an assessment on it's suitability for whatever you plan to do with it.
As far as using a miracle product to "repair" rotten stringers, I don't think you will find anyone on this site who will recommend it. Decide on a budget for the boat before you start so you are not disappointed with the cost when you are done. If it needs stringers, which I believe in al likelihood it will at that age, read up on some of the threads here and decide if you want to tackle the project. Without more detailed information on the engine and the manifold issue it is a little like asking "I don't feel well, what's the diagnosis".

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2015 at 7:49am
Wade,
I do not recommend a epoxy patch on the stringers. The rot is like cancer. If you fix the bad spot, the rot will come back next to the patch. Total replacement is needed. Doug fir is best but LVL can be used if the Doug Fir is hard to come by. Take a look at the FAQ in the maintenance section. There are some great threads. Repair of manifolds depends on what's wrong. Do you know what the problem is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324 54>
  Share Topic