Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 3:46pm
Has anyone done work bending and finishing plexi? My Mustang had the Airguide mounted on the dash on a metal bracket that is not worthy of a CC. I plan on placing it in the same location but mount it on a plexi bracket. This would require bending a piece of plexi about 110* for the mounting flange and finishing the top after cutting it to the the radius of the Airguide. I think it will look a lot nicer seeing the back of the Airguide case as well. Yea, I know it's not original but I know it has been there since at least the second owner in the early 70s and I prefer having a descent speedo to ski so it's going back, so HA!Looking for things I can do inside for a while.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 3:57pm
John, I don't think there was really a standard way to mount speedos in the 1gen Stangs, as most were probably added by dealers or owners... But the 3 of ours that have them (all period correct, too- so done very early on) were mounted on the face of the dash to the right of the steering wheel.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, I don't think there was really a standard way to mount speedos in the 1gen Stangs, as most were probably added by dealers or owners... But the 3 of ours that have them (all period correct, too- so done very early on) were mounted on the face of the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

Thanks Tim, My hour meter and the standard Mustang "THIS BOAT WILL KILL YOU" warning sticker go in that space on mine. It may be because it has an electric fuel gauge so there is no open position to put the hour meter in the panel. There is no room for the speedo there and, probably contrary to everyone else's taste, I like it on the dash next to the polished metal mirror. The plater did a beautiful job on the mirror. It was mounted on the dash as it is in the photo, but the bracket allows it to be mounted on the windshield frame if that is preferred.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 4:27pm
John, I think the face of the dash looks better, but on top is more functional. It might look better if it were in line with the wheel but I also wouldn't recommend additional holes.

Our original warning sticker was on the face of the dash just above the steering bezel, but the boat is a year or 2 older ('68).
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 4:33pm

John, I think the face of the dash looks better, but on top is more functional. It might look better if it were in line with the wheel but I also wouldn't recommend additional holes.

Our original warning sticker was on the face of the dash just above the steering bezel, but the boat is a year or 2 older ('68).

My sticker was between the hourmeter and the steering bezel and it was a slightly different size than the reproduction I have. I'm curious, did all the Mustangs have the sticker or just the V8 ones.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 4:45pm
Dunno... Maybe Marty, Bruce or Chris might know- they're the resident 6cyl guys, ha.

I'll email you a pic of the one boat we have that still has the original sticker. Not sure if the others had them or not, if so, they're long gone now.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:39pm
Kind of a thread jack, because this helps no one, but when tim was talking about speedo locations on old mustangs, I couldn't help but think of how my dad did our 66. Deck mount.

I liked it so much, I bought the same for my first boat, a late 70s taylor jet boat. I still like that deck mount but I don't think they are available any more. I haven't been able to locate them, anyway. I salvaged one a while back, the chrome was pretty rough, I'm not sure I still have it. Seems that it might have disappeared in a move.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:41pm
It was a riveted on plate in my 67 . to the left of the steering bezel IIRC.

The greater than 90 degree bend on the plexi will take a few pieces to get right, but you can do with heat and a bar to bend around. As for the edges of plexi, you can cut those with a kig saw, sand flat with a DA sander with 120 grit or so, then you can flame polish the ends to a nice shine with a propane torch or even a zippo. Don't bubble the plastic or set it on fire either when bending or polishing the edges heat slowly and just as much as required.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:43pm
So does anyone know of the top of thier head if the 71 HM will have a single or dual point set up? Heading to NAPA and only want to make a single trip without buying both configurations and then making a return.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Kind of a thread jack, because this helps no one, but when tim was talking about speedo locations on old mustangs, I couldn't help but think of how my dad did our 66. Deck mount.

I liked it so much, I bought the same for my first boat, a late 70s taylor jet boat. I still like that deck mount but I don't think they are available any more. I haven't been able to locate them, anyway. I salvaged one a while back, the chrome was pretty rough, I'm not sure I still have it. Seems that it might have disappeared in a move.

I think that makes yours a Pontiac.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

So does anyone know of the top of thier head if the 71 HM will have a single or dual point set up? Heading to NAPA and only want to make a single trip without buying both configurations and then making a return.

Both my 69 & 70 had a Mallory dual point distributor converted to a single point, as does the H/M 69 Mustang at my chain. I believe it is the original configuration. The condenser was mounted on the base plate where the 2nd set of points should go, presumably to avoid moisture. My spare has been at Mallory since Christmas being rebuilt with a CDI system. I will run mine this year with the single point setup if my rebuilt isn't finished by then. If it is the original dust I believe it will have L445 stamped into the casting to identify it as speced for H/M

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

If it's a Mallory, probably single, but you ought to buy a couple sets anyway. Unless the guy knows his old marine parts, you'll be at the counter awhile.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I think that makes yours a Pontiac.

Funny you should say that, a couple years later (mid life crisis??) my dad bought a 69 GTO, British racing green, white convertible, that thing was sweet. Sold it right before I got my license. Arrgh! Anyway, that had the hood mount tach.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Unless the guy knows his old marine parts, you'll be at the counter awhile.

I've tried to buy Mallory parts at auto part stores. Good luck. If you can't give them year-make-model of your "car" they are lost.

I've even had that experience at a boat store. Not for Mallory parts. I tried to get a prop key and nut from a dealer that actually sold inboards. He was lost. Asked me what engine I had. I commented that that is kind of irrelevant, I want a prop key and nut. But I accommodated him and told him 76 305 chevy, OMC conversion. I knew that would get me no where, but what the heck. He proceeded to tell me OMC did not do inboards, just I/Os. I guess I've had an I/O all along and just didn't know it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 6:18pm
Go for the old guy, and maybe he'll know what you are talking about.

Our Mustang did not have the warning label, but it will once we get the bezel refinished. I'm putting it just above the bezel.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Unless the guy knows his old marine parts, you'll be at the counter awhile.

I've tried to buy Mallory parts at auto part stores. Good luck. If you can't give them year-make-model of your "car" they are lost.

I've even had that experience at a boat store.

I wonder if the guy was trained at Autozone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 3:51pm
1. Original tank
2. Restored tank
3. New plastic tank
Ant my final answer is 3, new plastic tank. 1 more gallon and as clean and corrosion resistant as a surgical instrument. Thanks for your Mustang tank replacement thread Vondy! Am I a hoarder?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 3:54pm
fat sacks
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

fat sacks

Or a Fuel Caddy? Has a handle for lifting in and out of the boat.

John, all three look great! Looking forward to following your plastic tank progress.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 4:11pm
Hoarding is allowed... I'd go plastic too- I won't tell Pete if you won't!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 4:19pm
We went plastic in our Mustang. I think we got the last Tempo. IIRC Vondy figured out how to move the neck. The other challenge is the tie downs.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 4:24pm
Bruce, I believe Reid had them reproduced to the same specs recently- they'll build more! I think Reid has the exclusive rights to them for now... Just in case you need another :)

THe factory attachment method was interesting to say the least. The metal straps that they started using in the 80's are much improved. We came up with something similar on the bfn.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 4:39pm

Bruce, I believe Reid had them reproduced to the same specs recently- they'll build more! I think Reid has the exclusive rights to them for now... Just in case you need another.

Does anyone have a picture of one? I need to figure out something too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 4:41pm
I wish they'd mold some plastic tabs into the bottom for tie downs. The metal straps looked to be too tight on the Mustang, so we used nylon straps.

Plastic is great. On the Mustang though, you may have trouble getting your stern light to retract because it has square corners. I can't see repairing those old metal Tempos. It's not like they were made well to begin with. I've encountered 3 rusted out tanks. We pulled one out of a Cuda that had been wrapped in fiber glass for a repair.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 5:24pm

I wish they'd mold some plastic tabs into the bottom for tie downs. The metal straps looked to be too tight on the Mustang, so we used nylon straps.

Plastic is great. On the Mustang though, you may have trouble getting your stern light to retract because it has square corners.

My stern light doesn't retract. It's a Perko and it slips into the deck fitting and is removed when not in use. A chrome cap retained on a metal chain covers the socket when the light is removed. This design makes skiing in darkness impractical.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 5:39pm
Mine does not retract either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Mine does not retract either

👍🚤

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 7:48pm
This is the original anchor light.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 8:38pm

I'd go plastic too- I won't tell Pete if you won't!

I didn't see anything!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 10:55am
I went plastic as well, seriously would love to know how you guys tie your's down. I'm not a fan of what I did, but it works. I just used this...

http://www.iboats.com/Gas-Tank-Strap-Epco/dm/cart_id.884191391--session_id.973994722--view_id.1184768

I screw the metal bars into the stringers and ran the straps through....Safe? Not really sure, but does it work? Yes, considering I used the boat for about 3 days a year at most, i'm not opposed to just tightening up the damn things every time i take out the boat. Open to a much better option? YES!

Also I need to fix my stern light, so if anyone has one for sale, i'm all for it!

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1920212223 54>
  Share Topic