Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 7:20pm
I know about the exhaust note. When I started it in the driveway my gearhead neighbor across the street came running over to see what I had, followed closely by another neighbor. The youtube of it running in the driveway doesn't begin to share the experience since it was taken with a cell phone camera. The audio just doesn't come through like it does in person.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

As far as tone and loudness goes, I don't think the SS tubes made much, if any difference on our boat.

The tone doesn't change much, and you can't really notice the difference from the drivers seat. Skiing behind the boat or hearing it from shore (especially going away from you) is where you'll really notice it!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 8:43pm
There is,at WFO,a strange bbbrrraaapppp ing sound that I noticed when driving. That was the main reason I put the mufflers on,I'm sure it's combination of the manifold type and size of the outlets. The mufflers smoothed the sound out but did not cut the noise much. When behind the boat all is quite till it planes off and the tips come out which is actually a awesome sound.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

There is,at WFO,a strange bbbrrraaapppp ing sound that I noticed when diving muffs, I'm sure it's combination of the man t*ts. The muff smoothed out but did cut the nose. When behind all is quite till the tip come out which is actually awesome.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 9:17pm
Hollywood, that quote just made my day, THANKS!
1994 Sport Nautique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 10:19pm
I really need to have some drinks with you miscreants some day soon. Chris fit right in, you guys cant be THAT much worse.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2014 at 11:24pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2014 at 6:24am

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2014 at 11:35pm
Rather than hijacking Kirk's Project 69 Mustang thread further, I am posting the photos of how my sight gauge was blocked off. It may be a bit crude, but it doesn't look bad. It was very easy to do, not as easy as not drilling the hole in the first place, but easy compared to repairing the unnecessary hole.

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 12:42am
Uh John that's was just a mistake must have been a Monday work day
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 1:51am
Even worse than a Monday, Kirk. According to a piece of scratch paper that was in a folder of old receipts that came with the boat it was born on 03/21/70, a Saturday, and they only worked half a day.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 2:09am

+1

Gary & the Mrs must be having a ball in the Keys.....so to speak.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2014 at 7:41am

There is,at WFO,a strange bbbrrraaapppp ing sound that I noticed when driving. That was the main reason I put the mufflers on,I'm sure it's combination of the manifold type and size of the outlets. The mufflers smoothed the sound out but did not cut the noise much.

Gary......If you EVER get tired of that sound I'll be happy to take that loud obnoxious noise of a boat OFF your hands.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 2:17am
Good times today. Hollywood stopped by unexpectedly. I got to show him the old boat. I'm sure he left thinking "better you than me" and " I expected something nice" when he saw how much work is ahead of me.
I got a few minutes to look at the boat today. I found some interesting cryptic information on the engine. A tag on the starboard head, shown below. I pulled the valve covers again for a good head exam. It revealed little. The heads are clearly 302s but surprising to me, they have CF (Cleveland) casting marks. They also have a large E and a small 9C14 cast into them, but I have no idea what the significance is. All I have been able to find is an unsubstantiated claim on some Mustang car sites is that it's a small chamber head, which would account for the higher compression, other than that I don't think there is anything special about the head.. Does anyone have any opinions?

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 6:00pm
Curious about the heads on my spare 69 H/M 2V 210 HP engine after reading Greg's "71 Mustang followed me home" thread, I pulled the valve cover again and checked. It has the same 302 heads as my 70 4V version. I was also reminded that the 69 2V had 10.5:1 CR while Greg's 71 is 9.5:1. Possibly a difference in years and the addition of the 351 heads for the slightly bigger valves? They are rated at the same 235HP. I may never figure this out but I will keep trying. I suspect the heads on mine may be original but can't be sure.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 7:43pm
I think the only way to get any answers, you will need to get the casting numbers off them. I think they are in an area under the intake manifold so you won't know until you take it apart----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:06pm
I would like to satisfy myself that a standard distributor cap and a crab cap are interchangeable and require no modification to the distributor. I am sending my spare in to be converted to electronic ignition and would be disappointed to find that they have any differences upon receiving it back.
Thanx.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 5:25pm
I just got back in town and opened my box from Dale at Kocian Instruments. I am VERY pleased with the results. The hourmeter is still set where it left off as requested. I believe it may be correct as it was still working when I bought it but the lens was so cloudy the owner didn't know what it was. He is finishing up the other gauges and I hope to have them soon. I would be tickled if the boat could run that Airguide off scale, but that may be optimistic.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 5:28pm
John,
Looks like more of Dales great work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Looks like more of Dales great work!

They are really nice, I'm so happy!
53% craftsmanship, 62% magic.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 7:49pm
Nice
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 8:45pm
Very nice - would like to get mine done and pick up a set of these as well

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 9:06pm
I like those and had considered them and the aluminum intake from H/M, but I have decided to go original with this engine. If I get a wild hair after I finish the boat I may go that route and build my spare H/M engine core.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 9:06pm
Greg you won't be sorry,I think they add something like 100hp
Not cheap and I'm not sure they always have them,John will know
he was looking to get some.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 8:04am
I just got in from the garage after buffing for about 8 hours tonight, thanks to the new Black Keys album. During intermissions this kept going through my head:

The gardener plants an evergreen
Whilst trampling on a flower.
I chase the wind of a prism ship
To taste the sweet and sour.
The pattern juggler lifts his hand;
The orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the buffing wheel
In the court of the........aw, you know the rest.

I'm trying to decide on upholstery patterns. Neither the brochures nor the diaries are of much help. I have seen Gary's but don't remember the front bucket pattern, I like his back seat choice.
I have photos of two Mustang interiors, one that is almost a twin to mine that I believe to has the original brown skins on the front seats, the other is a Mustang I looked at in Gulfport MS prior to buying mine. The owner said he recently had the seats upholstered to look like the originals, whicht were shot. Can anyone shed more light on original upholstery patterns? Christine's doesn't offer them so I might have to just punt on this. The rear seat on the brown interior has been re-upholstered. Mine came with a blue-gray interior. The front seats had been replaced, but it is possible the rear seat and the motor cover pad are original. I wouldn't bet on it though. The bottom cushion of the rear seat has velcro on the leading edge that affixed to a velcro strip on the bottom of the seat frame. I have a hunch they were not built like this. Mine is the last of the three.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 9:55am
John, I've only seen the motorbox pad on larger boats and on Pete's Tique, which he added... I'm not sure when the option was first offered but it was a rare one I think... I suspect yours was added later?

The brown bucket facing us in the picture looks to be correct for the late-69 and 70 bucket pattern (the middle section on the drivers seat seems narrower). None of the other interiors look original to me. Most interiors prior to 69 lacked color, like these boats (I may have better pictures for some of these- email me a reminder if you want to see them):

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6444&sort=&pagenum=1
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3674&sort=&pagenum=7

In late 69 and 70, it seemed more the norm to get colors. The usual scheme was for the same color vinyl everywhere (including side panels) minus a neutral stripe down each bucket and 2 stripes down the back seat. These boats have nice original style interiors, even if non original... These will be the ones I use for inspiration when i do my '69 and '70.

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2372&sort=&pagenum=7
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2041&sort=&pagenum=8
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=9
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=200&sort=&pagenum=11

You'll notice that some of these boats belong to some of our more notorious members- I would not hesitate to reach out to Reid and Gary as they've done nice original style interiors on these boats in the recent past. No one has the patterns, this is a custom local job. I am tempted to bring mine to the Amish guy in OH!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 10:18am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, I've only seen the motorbox pad on larger boats and on Pete's Tique, which he added... I'm not sure when the option was first offered but it was a rare one I think

I need to see if I can get some pictures of my old 70 Cuda as well as a neighbors 70. Both came through Watercraft with the dog house pads. There were a couple more in the same era up north - I need to see if I can find them as well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 11:38am
That 3rd pic looks original to me as far as pattern. With your cream colored hull and deck, I'd go for interior colors that would compliment them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 12:00pm
Those pads must have been a Wisconsin thing, ha. They're not the most attractive option in my opinion, but it's a personal preference.

With a white hull and deck, I'd add a bunch of color on the interior too... You can probably go any color you want, I'd probably add a matching color boot stripe. I'd go with a fairly bold, contrasting (dark) color, personally.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:28pm
The nice thing about doing the boat interior is unlike the Corvette you just did,no one can stand there and tell you the stiching distance is .040 too wide or the thread thickness is .005 under because no one knows! After bothering Tim countless times,I based mine off of that red Mustang and naturally Rodneys because I have seen it many times and took pictures that I could show to the person who was going to do the work. The hardest part was the side panels since I didn't have any,your help was invaulable in getting them worked out so your ahead of the curve on those. I basically tried to match my hull and deck and assume that is what was done on Rodneys.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021 54>
  Share Topic