Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 2:21am
inboard trailer!
Southbound from northern Wisconsin with the spare H/M engine and Velvet Drive.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 7:51pm
My ring & finger needs re-plating. I avoided doing so when I had my other parts re-plated because I am afraid of damaging it. The roll pins have been removed by the PO. I have read the threads that indicate it is difficult. Any suggestions? Should I try heating the pylon?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 8:30pm
John,
Is the pylon still in the boat? Can you get it under a spot for a come-a-long or your engine hoist? Since you have read the other threads, you know the best way is to apply upward force, penetrating oil, waiting and then rotating back and forth.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

apply upward force, oil, and then rotating back and forth.

Sounds like one of Quinners's Saturday nights
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:05pm
It's not in the boat. The boat came with an extended pylon I sold. If it is likely it will break I will live with it but I don't like the finish.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:25pm
John,
Since it's not in the boat, find a machine shop that will chuck it up in a lathe and then pull on the ring and finger with the tail stock. Another idea, if the pylon is a hollow one is to get a bar up the center and knock the ring and finger out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:38pm
I win the dumb*ss award. I broke it. It didn't take much, brains or force.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:47pm
John,
Get the shank out and repair it (welding and grinding) since you are having it re chromed anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2014 at 9:58pm
That's the new plan Pete. I will find a machine shop to do the work. I am very disappointed right now. Maybe the Chicago Beers get together will lift my spirits. Anyone know a good machine shop?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 11:33am
How'd you break it? We've been trying to remove one on a 1969+- pylon and it does not want to budge. Engine hoist didn't work or plenty of heat. We've given up on it for now as we no longer have the correct boat for it.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 12:19pm
I heated the pylon and tried turning it with a large screwdriver. The welds that hold the ring to the finger broke. It didn't require a lot of force to break it. It appears that the welds had been ground down for cosmetic purposes to the point where there was not much bead holding it together. Fine for skiing, not good for twisting.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2014 at 11:54pm
I took the pylon with the ring & finger in to an automotive fabrication shop ( Roman Performance & engineering ),and told them I wanted the finger pulled from the pylon and the ring welded back on and the weld ground down like it was to go out for plating. Their response was pretty much OK, see you next week. I hope it really is that easy.
Roman Engineering

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 9:26am
That pic is worth a 1000 words! Now I know what not to do. It's amazing how stuck some of this stuff can be. We still haven't been able to remove the steering wheel from our Mustang. If the shop is successful, find out how they did it.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 10:10am
Thinking that a may be joining this thread in the near future.....I have either found something to bring back to life or part out. stay tuned
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That pic is worth a 1000 words! We still haven't been able to remove the steering wheel from our Mustang.

Bruce,
Yes, pictures! How about some showing your attempts at removing the wheel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 4:32pm
That would be a thread in itself Pete. I've tried about everything, except for picking up a new wheel on ebay and breaking out the sawzall.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 5:03pm
Is it the original three spoke plastic wheel? I broke one of those too. I am single handedly trying to deplete the supply of Mustang spare parts.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 6:50pm
It is a two spoke wheel with a non tapered shaft. I'd like to remove it so that I can paint the helm and restore the wheel. They're really ugly, especially the black helm.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 7:32pm
bruce have you tried a wheel puller and either the new penetrating oil with a refrigerant or its equivalent (i forget the name) or some heat ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 7:46pm
David had a 5" 3/16" plate made up that we slipped behind the wheel. We attached it to a wheel puller and put enough pressure on it so that it bent the plate. I've smacked it with a hammer, tried Kroil, Liquid Wrench, Sea Foam, I've even left the puller on for a week and kept spraying Kroil on it hoping it would pop. I haven't heard of the new stuff you're talking about. Damn thing is stuck on there.

This wheel and the pylon have defeated us so far. I'm glad I know about the pylon as I thought the finger was the fragile part.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2014 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

bruce have you tried a wheel puller and either the new penetrating oil with a refrigerant or its equivalent (i forget the name) or some heat ?

50% ATF and 50% acetone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 12:23pm
the stuff i have is crc freeze off.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 2:05pm
This will either my foray into the Mustang restoration thread, if not it will become a source of parts and a Badin Lake adult beverage distribution center (tiquee bar). Time will tell.

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 2:58pm
Is it complete and running? Tell us more. Someone would like that trailer if it has its day with the Sawzall.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 3:17pm
More pic's / information to follow - finalizing the deal on Friday.

It is the same old story....It was running great two years ago when we put it away for the season.
The boat has been in the same family since new (71). Powered by a 302 HM (9.5 to 1). Looks like everything is there, plylon is laying on the floor.

Looking forward to a fresh oil change, temporary gas source, impeller and battery - will see what happens.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2014 at 3:26pm
If it is sacrificed keep me in mind if you post the engine or manifolds.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 6:07am
I got my manifolds back today. If everything goes according to plan, liquid and gas will pass through simultaneously but separately.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 5:30pm
Tim, I looked at your dual exhaust conversion thread again but couldn't find what schedule pipe you used. 304? 304L? Which tubing is best suited for this?. I need to have pipes fabricated from the riser outlets to the tips and i don't want to have to service them....ever. I'm going straight pipes connected at both ends with silicone hump hoses. Good idea? I hope my lake patrol relationship doesn't change from social to professional. I think I will be OK if I am responsible with it. I plan on using hump hoses to connect them at both ends. I had considered copper for a while but I don't know why I did that. Stainless looks like the way to go from your thread. I have a fab shop in mind but they don't do boats generally. I am not sure I want to rely on their choice of tubing.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 5:49pm
John,
Tim I'm sure will be along but I can comment on your SS tubing. In thin tubing, it's not typically rated by schedule but by wall thickness. However, schedule 10 does have the wall thickness of about .065". Type 304 is fine. The 304L is just a lower carbon version. Are you sure you want to go with the silicon hump connections? Did you just tell me you wanted to stay original?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2014 at 5:57pm
I think you should wait until the stringers are done and the engine is in. The angle of mine in the boat is more than 90*. It would work but since your having them made you might want to get them closer,silicone 3" 90's would be perfect if you could afford them or if they are even made.Somewhere I have a pic of the side angle too.if you do go stainless you will have to see what the fabricator can work with too,I don't think all grades will bend the same. For reference John I used plain steel the first time around ,they lasted 20 years any stainless should outlast us
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1516171819 54>
  Share Topic