Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:02pm
I'll eventually get all mine rebuilt, but that will be my last step.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 4:13pm
I had a reality check moment today. I am just about at the point of admitting my Mustang will not be done this summer. I had some minor surgery yesterday that will keep me from doing much for the next two weeks, after which I must make a round trip driving from Chicago to Victoria, BC (4,800 miles). I figure that is a minimum of two weeks and possibly three, which takes me to the middle of April. I still have about 2 weeks of work left on my garage project before I'm really digging into the Mustang project, (I'm very slow).
I will be a grandfather in August, if everything goes according to plan, and I must go back to Victoria then and see the new kid and help my daughter and her husband move back to the USA.
That doesn't leave a lot of time to work on the Mustang. I have considered throwing it together and using it this year and making the overhaul next winters project, but I hate to do stuff twice. We will see, I can hardly bear the thought of not having a ski capable boat on the lift this year.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 7:07pm
Free rides in mine when i get up there haha.

John, have you considering flying over driving?
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Free rides in mine when i get up there haha.

John, have you considering flying over driving?

Thanks for the offer, I would love a ride. One of the spring projects is to build a guest dock up north so it is easier for people to visit by boat.

I usually fly to Victoria, but I am driving there because my daughter is giving us one of her beagles. It is too much for her with the new kid coming, and my wife misses her beagle Sandy, who died last halloween. My daughters has two beagles. The one she is giving us, eV (Electronvolt) is special needs and is very fearful of strangers / strange places. My vet has told me it is very possible she would not survive the flight as luggage. eV is a little to large to carry on. She is very cute and I have a lot of fun with her. She loves Manny Waters and the 'toon. Riding on it is her favorite thing, with running around in the woods a close second.

eV

eV at leisure

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:12am
jn

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:14am
I am feeling a little down because I won't have my Mustang done this year. My garage project is finally wrapping up so I can begin some work again soon. I needed to listen to a little music to perk up my spirits.
Music by the Radical Bumpsticks

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:24pm
John where is your boat that your working on?

Is it in MW? Would like to stop by and see it while I'm up there.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 4:15pm
No, the Mustang is at my Chicago home. I would love to see yours sometime, but I believe it is in Ohio. If I can just get this garage finished I can spend some time up north. Didn't you say you wouldn't be in MW until early August?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

No, the Mustang is at my Chicago home. I would love to see yours sometime, but I believe it is in Ohio. If I can just get this garage finished I can spend some time up north. Didn't you say you wouldn't be in MW until early August?

Boat is in MW for the time being actually. I store it up there, no room here in cincy for now and yes I'll be up the 3rd-11th, i have about 2days worth of work to do on it.

I need to finish the gas tank, gun new gas lines, then wire the dash gauge, and change the oil, i'll be doing this that saturday or Sunday.

I might place on a new carb also. I had a tough time getting it to run smoothly, but a part of that make me believe it was the ***************ty rust filled fuel tank, anyways feel free to stop over to help haha.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2013 at 5:45pm
I will be up 7-3 to 7-13. Give me a pm when it's good.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2013 at 6:39pm
You guy's better get pictures!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2013 at 12:18pm
Sorry I should have clear, I'll be up 8-3 to 8-11.

Damn, i guess next year?
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 3:47pm
JohnB good news I'll be up at the lake house June 22-25th if you're up at all or anyone else on the MW Chain that would like to stop by.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 12:59pm
The garage is nearly done and the time is nearing to dig back into the Mustang, probably around the first of November. I am apprehensive because of the de-lam problem with the stringers. I wish I had more fiberglass knowledge and experience. I have done several boats before, but not to the standards I see from some here.
I will know what I need to do when I cut the de-laminated glass off of the stringers. I am prepared for the worst. I am curious, does anyone here have a boat near this age where the glass has not delaminated from the stringers?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 2:03pm
John I assume you're talking about near the gast tank compartment? It seems like this is common on our boats, both of my mustangs delaminated towards the gas tank/rudder mount area of the boat, everything else is solid from there on up.

I feel like the delamination occurred because of the lack of actual fiber glass though. Like the epoxy just got brittle.
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 10:23pm
UPDATE;
I was ready to ship my distributor to Mallory for the rebuild / electronic conversion today and I called tech support again because I forgot to tell them it was a RR distributor. The guy wanted the model # and I told him it was an L445. He told me there is no such model and it must be a YL445. I explained it was a Mallory dual point modified by Holman Moody into a single point distributor by removing the second set of points and putting the condenser in their place. That was where the help ended. The guy told me he was very familiar with Holman Moody and they would rebuild it to original specs with points, but their electronic ignition would not fit in my L445 and they would not try to make it fit. I have no idea why because I believe the cases are the same aluminum casting as the YL445. He told me that Prestolite was now part of Accell Performance Group and they have sold the marine division and would give me no more information about the buyer or anything else.
I called Summit and they referred me to the Pertronix Tech Center. Great guys there. I talked to Paul Rogers who was very knowledgeable about Holman Moody and had met Lee Holman several times. Paul asked for good digital photos and within an hour I had an answer. Two of their units fit my distributor.
ML181 and 9ML181 The 9ML181 fits entirely under the distributor cap so no one knows that bit of technology is lurking in your original looking distributor, well, unless you post a distributor conversion thread here.
Maybe this will help someone else.
Pertronix 9ML181

John,

The correct part number would be a ML-181 or a 9ML-181 for the Ignitor II
version. Either one will work fine.

Thank you,
Paul Rogers
Pertronix Performance Products
Technical Dept
909-547-9056

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 10:42pm
I would totaly rethink putting a Pertronix in anything let alone something that I could not get out of and walk home John. Put the points in it and worry what to do later,right now it runs the same on points or electronic conversion anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2013 at 10:52pm
Tell me more Gary.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2013 at 9:08am
I agree with Gary, I have seen many bad Pertronix modules right out of the box. The only upside to EI conversion in an old distributor is the (supposed) lack of maintenance. It offers no performance benefit. I have found points to be reliable and great starting when adjusted properly... and I only touch them every 5 years or so. Plus, when they fail, you pop the cap off and dry them off or scuff them with sand paper. When an EI module goes bad, there is no limping back to the dock- youre getting towed. Ive said it several times, but my best starting and most reliable running boat still has points, which I last touched in 2006.

Personally, I'd have Mallory rebuild your old dizzy and have them leave it set up for points!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 3:34am
I am soliciting opinions.
I expect to disassemble the instrument panel over the week end and send the gauges in to be freshened up next week. The wiring, while functional, is not very neat. Some gauges have up to 5 ring connectors on one terminal. It also seems to be predominately crimp connectors. I prefer solder on with shrink tube. I understand that it is acceptable to change wiring for safety on real classics, but what is the consensus on changing mine from original and making it very neat? With multiple ring connectors on one terminal it would be easy to develop a bad connection. I want this thing bulletproof reliable when it's done. I have a complete spare harness if I should need any matching wire. I understand this is no Chris Craft Cobra, but I love it all the same and my daughter's will get it with the cottage some day, so this is for the long term.
THIS IS MY LAST BOAT OVERHAUL!!!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 8:21am
John,
Yup, the back sides of the dashes were/are never pretty to look at! The 5 ring terminals on one stud are probably all the switched "hots" and the ignition key switch. They could use a terminal strip.

Besides solder on terminals, the other option that I have had very good luck with is crimp on's with adhesive lined heat shrink already on the terminal. Molex makes them and McMaster is a good source.

If you add or change any wire, make sure it's the tinned marine grade.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 9:42am
Since Pete didn't voice any originality concerns, I'd take that as permission, John!

I certainly wouldn't have any heartburn over making the changes you describe. I'd actually opt for all new wiring AND connectors- all of the dashes I've torn into have a lot of corrosion at all the connectors that extends up into the wires a ways. All new, marine tinned with soldered and shrink tubed connectors is the way to go. A few buses (ign and ground at a minimum) would reduce the number of daisy chains. Just stick with the existing color conventions and no one will be the wiser.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:48am
I have recently read somewhere that crimping and those adhesive connectors are the preferred method now. When you solder them it said that the solder wicks down into the wire putting a stress point further out on the wire which then vibration can affect. I'll see if I can find it again. That said,I soldered mine when I put the current gage's in.Since the tach's have no terminals on them I used a plug so I could remove it easily rather than cut the wires.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 11:06am
I have my dash off at the moment too and am also replacing and tidying up the wires. I totally feel your pain. I was quite surprised by the amount of exposed wire between the shrink wrap and actual end of the wire.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 11:53am
Also not a fan of soldering on boats. If you do make sure that wire is tied up really well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 12:02pm
Those adhesive lined heat shrink connectors are pretty nice... but nothing is going to make a better high reliability electrical connection than a proper solder joint. Combined with a high quality, adhesive lined shrink tube, that's the best option. The shrink tube takes a lot of the mechanical strain off the solder joint. Ive put connections like this through some pretty extreme environments (much more so than a marine environment) and they hold up really well.

If you cant solder (well), then the adhesive filled connectors are a good option!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 2:28pm
The ABYC recommends crimping over soldering because of poor soldering technics. They also recommend to be crimped because if you solder only and the resistance goes up it can cause the solder to melt and the connection to fail. The best is to crimp and solder but you need to use heat sinks to prevent the solder creep.Many articles I found mention that NASA,Lockheed Martin,Ford,GM, Toyota etc use crimp only method. I don't think it matters much in our applications but those are the standards. My Mustang has to be one of the hardest models to work on wiring wise.Gauges mounted directly into the dash with no removable panel and then a console mounted right in the way blocking access,another reason they might not have been to popular even with the people building them.Here is some reading for you John
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 3:04pm
Gary, I'd like to see the article about crimping as it relates to L-M. Soldering and appropriate strain relief seems to be the norm in my experience with aero/defense. Ive subjected solder/heat shrunk connections to some pretty wild environments!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Yup, the back sides of the dashes were/are never pretty to look at! The 5 ring terminals on one stud are probably all the switched "hots" and the ignition key switch. They could use a terminal strip.

Besides solder on terminals, the other option that I have had very good luck with is crimp on's with adhesive lined heat shrink already on the terminal. Molex makes them and McMaster is a good source.

If you add or change any wire, make sure it's the tinned marine grade.

Thank you!
They used the hot side of the ammeter for a bus for four ring connectors and the ground of the temp gauge for five grounds. It has worked for 44 years so I can't fault them too much.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 12:09pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Gary, I'd like to see the article about crimping as it relates to L-M. QUOTE]

I cannot find it now Tim but here is another interesting one. If you google crimping vs soldering it's like asking what is the best oil to use,it was just in something I stumbled on to. In our use I don't think it much matters,I soldered mine,and so far as you know,it matters more on what battery you use
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 54>
  Share Topic