NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60's Correct Craft script emblems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60's Correct Craft script emblems
    Posted: December-01-2011 at 6:56pm
Over the last year, Ive been working to get the 60's metal Correct Craft emblems reproduced. Long story short, we finally got a few sets made- and they look pretty good. Theyre chrome plated brass- so much higher quality than the original (pot metal) emblems. The downside is that the final costs ended up being a bit higher than planned. I need to make a decision on whether or not to produce more, or if these 2 pairs were essentially a failed experiment. Any and all input on what price the market would bear on these would be appreciated! Feel free to post comments publicly, or email if you'd rather keep them private: TRBenj@gmail.com

Thanks!

New emblems on top, original on the bottom:
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:00pm
here is on in brass on ebay for 95.

emblem
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:14pm
Those are the wrong emblems- they are much smaller (10" vs. 15") and meant for a 50's boat. Still, you'd need to have them chromed, which ended up being more than half the cost.

50's vs. 60's emblems:

The 60's emblems that I had made are not currently available from any other source, as far as I know.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:27pm
what do you want to charge? I was just giving a market benchmark. It was all I could find. I noticed they were not chrome so I am sure yours is nicer. So you could charge at least 100.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what do you want to charge? I was just giving a market benchmark. It was all I could find. I noticed they were not chrome so I am sure yours is nicer. So you could charge at least 100.

I would prefer not to charge less than they cost me to make! But that will depend on what the market will bear, hence the question.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:39pm
Tim, Those look great. They rarely come up, but when they do a pair of nice ones go for $200-$250 on ebay and have a lot of bidders.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:49pm
I would think anyone looking for the right details on their boat would pay whatever you needed If it were for my boat , I would pay 200 250 without crying.   by the way tim when i make bruce a new bow stop for his barracuda trailer he thought you might need one also? .. I might make a half dozen at a time. it would be for cost of materials $25 $30 each at most i assume
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:54pm
Peter, I emailed you a picture of a bow stop today.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the input on value, guys!

Peter, Bruce is right- Id love to grab a bow stop from you if you pop a few out. That price seems more than reasonable- sign me up! Actually, I may take 2.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:03pm
good i will get at them before xmas   thanks bruce that should be enough description . tim would yours be as wide for the smaller hull trailer and as tall?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:09pm
Peter, Im pretty sure that the dimensions that Bruce is giving you are from the bowstop on his #2. Judging by the pics, its the same one I have on my trailers- so that should work perfectly.
ChristinesMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:29pm
Tim,

Email me.....may want several

OLD NAUTIQUES never DIE.......but they have KILLER WAKES
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:38pm
Just for reference guy's I had my originals rechromed for 150 ea.Since you made them out of brass Tim they should last even longer than the originals too. There is a guy on the Donzi site that reproduced the ones they needed for 250 a set and later dropped them to 225 shipped.Don't know how many he had made but later he ran off another set of 25.I think the market is there but don't know how fast you could move them unless you went on ebay.Then comes up the question do you need an ok from Correct Craft?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:48pm
George, is that you? Email sent!

Gary, good data point there, thanks. The size on these is what drove up the costs a bit- due to the longer length, they had some casting issues, which in turn drove up plating costs. Im guessing the Donzi emblems might have been a little easier? They had to have been shorter. Either way, Im seeing if there are ways to try and control some of the costs and determine if its worth moving forward or not. The operation was pretty small this go around, so there werent many economies of scale to be had.

Either way, its worth noting that Im not really looking to turn these into a big money maker. Just trying to fill a gap since these are NLA... and Im fortunate to have a few pairs on hand that can be used to make the mold. I just dont want to lose my shirt if they cant be sold for what they cost to make!
ChristinesMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:12pm
Tim,

It is me !! I finally decided to join. I had some reservations ethically as an advertiser but decided I could try to be helpful without looking greedy.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I would think anyone looking for the right details on their boat would pay whatever you needed If it were for my boat , I would pay 200 250 without crying.   by the way tim when i make bruce a new bow stop for his barracuda trailer he thought you might need one also? .. I might make a half dozen at a time. it would be for cost of materials $25 $30 each at most i assume

AGREED!

Bow stop for #2???? What all does this include?? Just the board, or the bracket too!??

Ready to bolt on????   Send me a pic Peter! I might be in the market for 2 also!!!

mtmabe@northstate.net

Thanks,

Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way, its worth noting that Im not really looking to turn these into a big money maker. Just trying to fill a gap since these are NLA... and Im fortunate to have a few pairs on hand that can be used to make the mold. I just dont want to lose my shirt if they cant be sold for what they cost to make!

I understand completely and commend you for the effort Tim. Do you think the more you make you can get a break on them? Or is it that the volume would too low for that? Or that the casting,polishing and plating is pretty much a fixxed cost?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 11:30pm
If they were made to order, (paid for prior to production), what would they cost? At what volume would you get a price break?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 11:39pm
Marty i will make one first for Bruce then get pics out there then if they are correct i will make anyone some . thanks
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:15am
Im in! throw the price out there, thay look great
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:58am
I need a bowstop, please post a photo. Thanks!!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:20am
Are you licensed to reproduce them? I have license to reproduce logos from the 1940's- 1980's.
Tim D
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:38am
Tim, I'd like a pair. Seems like there's decent interest.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 10:59am
Tim, no license (yet). I figured that wouldnt be necessary at the current volume (2 pairs) that I may take a loss on. No profit involved- just making them for myself and some friends at this point.

Im working with the shop to see if costs can be controlled a little better- if not, this little project is likely over. If we can somehow get these back on track, maybe the market would bear a small volume run... in which case, contacting CC may be the right thing to do.

The shop indicated that there werent many economies of scale to be had with the way they produce these parts, unfortunately. Each part requires a lot of touch labor.

Jeff, email me: TRBenj@gmail.com
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:09am
Does licensing even need to be brought up in a non commercial, custom run for Correct Craft owners that need to replace what they already own?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:28am
speaking of licenses ...(thread jack) if you are aware of and support the bill that has already passed the house of representatives and is being brought to the senate for a national right to carry law. please inform your senator of your feelings ...
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:29am
Tim, A great demonstration of persistence, technical success, and attention to detail. I will purchase one pair at the "Market Price", as the pot metal ones on the Classic are slightly pitted. Just like a 5-star restaurant, It is what it is.

Peter, Although we haven't met yet, I am meeting more of the members from New England. I'd like to buy a bow stop for my '63 Classic; payment in the form of your choosing!! It should be similar to a Barracuda. We can arrange transport details later, but maybe we could hook up with Tim's, as I'll see him over Christmas. Thanks, Todd
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Does licensing even need to be brought up in a non commercial, custom run for Correct Craft owners that need to replace what they already own?

Bruce,
You are correct. I believe Tim D needs it due to his commercial sales. Even if Tim B makes a few sets and sells them, CC is not going to go after him. It's not worth their time and certainly not worth the lawyers costs. We are also talking about restoration parts and not new products - there's a big difference. Does GM go after the guy who reproduced a hood emblem for his old Chevy? No!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 8:17pm
The whole license thing started with the help of Pete. He got mad as hell about some retro design shirts I made. He had the post moved. Then Keith wanted to sell them on the web store. Then Correct Craft said I wasn't licensed to produce them. The VP of Correct Craft called me. A company called Threads had the apparel license. Seems they don't let more than one company make the same stuff. So then I got licensed, but it's for guide pole covers, shock tubes, flags and decals. The decals are mostly for restoration projects, which is the majority of what I sell. They don't license ANYONE to sell on ebay. So all that stuff you see on there is bootleg, unless it's a dealer getting rid of inventory.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 8:45pm
Well I, for one, thought it stunk when you had to stop making t-shirts, Tim. I have a bunch of them- Threads doesnt offer anything nearly as cool as what you were able to produce.

Anyways, as far as the emblems go, Im not mass producing these things- and as far as I know, producing them would not be in direct competition with anything Correct Craft corporate is doing. I would think they'd be proud of the fact that people are going out of their way to restore their old boats?

Regardless, Im just trying to make a decision as to whether it makes sense to continue with this project or not. I believe one pair of emblems is already spoken for, Im sure I can find someone who needs the other. The question is whether another run is justified... just trying to assess the demand, and at what pricepoint it starts to make less sense.

Thanks to all thus far for your input!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic