Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil change issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
cragginshred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil change issue
    Posted: November-05-2011 at 7:42pm
I released the hose opened it up and only a little came out. it is all downhill and gravity fed and not emptying. I also released the oil cap and nothing,... help
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:02pm
It's a long slow process, helps if you warm it up first and have some suction to pull the oil. Takes over an hour for mine if I just let it drain through the hose.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:44pm
For sure warm it up, but all day doesn't sound right.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:55pm
Got it, it was real slow,.. thanks guys. I got the straight 40w like the manual calls for 6$ a qrt!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by cragginshred cragginshred wrote:

Got it, it was real slow,.. thanks guys. I got the straight 40w like the manual calls for 6$ a qrt!!!!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
And, an oil with plenty of ZDDP. Valvolene VR1 20-50 is a popular choice.
????
Yes, unless the oil is HOT, that damn drain hose through the hull throuh hull never seems to work. I tried it once because my Tique had the hose!!! Then went back to the super sucker.

What 40W did you get? Did you follow our recommendations on the ZDDP? If not, I suggest draining it again!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 9:48pm
I'm probably forgetting I have a V-hull again. Still, 20-30 mins.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 11:44pm
The 40W is Valvolene SAE 40 premium conventional . I have not filled the engine because I was unable to remove the oil filter by hand or with an oil filter wrench. What the heck?????   Any ideas on getting the filter off And what is the ZZDP you spoke of?????
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 4:55am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 9:35am
It'll be messy, but you can drive a screwdriver through the filter to remove.
1988 BFN-sold

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by cragginshred cragginshred wrote:

I was unable to remove the oil filter by hand or with an oil filter wrench. What the heck?????

turning it the correct way?

I often get the wrench pretty tight and then step over the handle, a slight pressure with the foot usually releases the stuck filter.
Remember to put some oil on the new filter seal and tighten by hand so you dont go through this hassle next season.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 11:17am
you gotta oil that seal up for next time, i just winterized a boat that my ex fired guy put a filter on last year, I tried everything, i finally had to beat it loose with a screwdriver at the top heavy edge, when i finally got the filter off, the seal was dry...I really was about to pull the engine, the filter was in a bad spot...im wondering how many more i will have to do like this in the next couple of weeks.
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 1:52pm
I bought the boat this past Sept. so the stuck filter is from whomever changed it last. So for a definitive answer on the oil type for a 95 SN with a GT 40 motor is- VR! 20- 50 ??    It is not too late to swap what I bought.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 4:17pm
Sometimes my oil doesn't start to really drain until the opening of the hose is pretty close to the ground. That actually can be kind of a good thing because it gives you plenty of time to get the hose situated into your collection pan before it really starts to spill out.

I have the MAC version of this pliers and it comes in very handy:
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2011 at 12:34pm
I use the hose system all the time. Takes about 15 minutes. Definitely need to warm it up though. No muss no fuss. Valvoline VR-1 20 / 50 wt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 2:35am
Some large channel locks worked to get the filter off, thank God! Also I put the VR 1 20/50 in tonight, however the Nautique parts place in SC e-mailed me back and said that is too heavy???? Whats the deal with that?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 2:57am
I've been using it for 8 years or so, about 900hrs on 2 motors with no issues. To the best of my knowledge they are both still running fine. I'm not sure what you can find these days with the appropriate ZDDP levels that is much lighter.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 10:00am
rotella 15w40
"the things you own will start to own you"
Dawgnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawgnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 9:25pm
I understand the need to use an oil with high levels of ZDDP such as in Valvoline VR1 racing oil but why would you not use the straight 40W viscosity instead of the 20w/50 you use? I am not challenging you, just curious.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 9:36pm
Multigrade oils offer better start up protection than heavier straight weights. A 20w50 oil acts like a lower viscosity (20w) oil when cold, and a higher viscosity (50w) oil when hot.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 11:35pm
Way back in the day when Pete was as old as Tim is now multi weight oil wasn't as good either.10w30 could break down leaving you with the lower of the two.It was common for manufactures of high stressed engines to use straight weight oil.Oil and web discussions of it have come a long way.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 12:50pm
I never can seem to get a straight answer. I went with a straight 30w this yr. One guy says 4ow is better on these older 351's and 350's.. But do like rotella..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 1:26pm
Most have their own opinions and favorite oils. I have an older '80 with the same 351 in it. The first time I had it serviced the guy put regular 10W30 in it. After learning a bit about inboards and readig alot on CCF and talking with Pete I was convinced that Valvoline VR-1 20W50 is what I would use. Have been ever since with excellent results.
If you are happy with the 30 weight use it. Don't forget to look for maximum ZDDP. Enjoy the ride.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 2:30pm
VR1 comes in a 10W30 as well is that too light? I think the sticker on the valve cover of mine says 10W30.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

VR1 comes in a 10W30 as well is that too light? I think the sticker on the valve cover of mine says 10W30.

My understanding is that the levels of ZDDP aren't consistent across the different grades, even within the same brand. I think the heavier weight VR1 is necessary for the higher ZDDP, not necessarily for the weight.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

My understanding is that the levels of ZDDP aren't consistent across the different grades, even within the same brand. I think the heavier weight VR1 is necessary for the higher ZDDP, not necessarily for the weight.

While that is sometimes the case with certain oil brands/lines, I do not believe that to be the case with VR1. I think that all of the weights have the higher levels of ZDDP- there was something addressed on Valvoline's website under the Q&A.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 2:44pm
6.Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" racing oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.

Seems that according to them its the same for all VR1. .13 percent. So the 10W30 is an option I would say for those concerned about the heavy weight. You would think that could hurt performance 50w
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 3:00pm

So the 10W30 is an option I would say for those concerned about the heavy weight. You would think that could hurt performance 50w

Justin,
Keep in mind that a mutiweight oil is really the lower weight. So, a 20-50 is a 20 weight that acts like a 50 weight when warm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 3:07pm
ok so I had that backwards then?

The weight or thickness is always 20W it just has the viscosity of a 50W when hot? So there would be no difference in the ability of your engine to circulate a straight 20W oil over a 20W 50?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 3:38pm
If your looking for a straight 40W with good ZDDP levels at a reasonable price, I just switched (from VR1) to Brad Penn Racing SAE40. Brad Penn ZDDP (independantly) tests between 1200 and 1500 PPM.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 4:33pm
I tried something new this year, mainly because I wanted to drain the oil hot and had not bought the new oil yet at that time. I let it drain ALL WEEK. And, let me tell you- for the first time ever, the boat actually took the full 5 quarts (inc. filter) of new oil. I've pumped it before and let it drain for hours before but this was the first time I think it ever really, fully, 100% drained. Kinda nice.

As for multi-weight vs. straight weight- one key thing to know would be at what temp do the viscosity modifiers "react" to produce the heavier weight? And, is the reaction progressive as the temp goes up or down or is it pretty much an all or nothing thing? If it's above 50 degrees or so that 20W50 becomes 50, then I'd imagine it wouldn't help starting the engine during the summer season. However, if it becomes 50W at, say, 160* and it's 20W at 85* then that's a different story.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic