Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Noise on 95 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jarnold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Noise on 95 SN
    Posted: October-12-2011 at 2:38am
When turning the boat to the left at speed I get an unusual noise. When the boat is turned to the right there is no noise. Any ideas on what to look for?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 8:55am
Jeff,
Due to the prop rotation, many hulls will make different sounds turning to port or starboard. Knowing what boat you have will help. Condition of the prop???

Welcome to CCfan and of course, we always ask for pictures!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 11:44am
Our 85 SN makes a noise when turning left as well. Kind of a higher pitched gurgling sound.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
jarnold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 1:26pm
The boat is a 1995 Ski Nautique that I just bought from the original owner back in March. I just had the prop redone before putting it in the water due to some slight damage on one blade from the 1st owner. It is 19.5 feet long and is the closed bow model. The owner said that they all make this sound but it is very noticable turning left and when turning right it is quiet as a mouse.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 1:30pm
Jeff,
I'd have to say what you are hearing is normal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 1:32pm
maybe its low on foam.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 1:35pm
What prop are you running? The only CC Ive been in that made a strange noise when turning was Keith's '94 with the original 3-blade OJ. Going to a new prop (Acme 422) cured it.
jarnold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 2:55pm
I am running the stock 3 blade OJ.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by jarnold jarnold wrote:

I am running the stock 3 blade OJ.

Well there you have it.

A new CNC prop would likely eliminate the problem, as well as give you all sorts of performance benefits.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 7:35pm
Jeff,
Where in Pa are you? I'm just north of the 'burgh, we're starting to get quite a few Pa people on here.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:14am
I remember a 2001 hull I drove for a summer just howled when turning to the left. It was sort of a groaning noise.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
jarnold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 2:29pm
I'm up in the northeast - close to Scranton.
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 11:11pm
My 95 howls when turning left and no sound to the right. Don't worry about it!
95 Nautique 351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic