Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HOORAY!!! I think I have Wet Foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOORAY!!! I think I have Wet Foam
    Posted: October-11-2011 at 7:23pm
When I purchased this Mustang, I thought it felt heavy when towing it home. I was used to towing an 18' I/O with a 4 cylinder and my truck felt like it was pulling something alot heavier when I pulled the CC. As I surfed this site, I read the stories of wet foam and stringer repair jobs and started to think that I too may have that problem. We took the boat to the lake for the first time Saturday and it ran great [trans may be slipping a little(ok alot)]. When it was at the dock, I noticed it listed to the starboard side and I believe it sits low in the water. The boot stripe is under water at the rear of the boat. Thank goodness that the members here have done foam removal, stringer repair and documented the process as well as discussed foam / no foam. My next step is to drill some 2" holes and dig for water. I'm not that upset at the wet foam or the trans slipping because it will give me the opportunity to become better acquainted with the boat this winter. Just thinking out loud and trying to convince myself that it's just another opportunity to learn something.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2011 at 9:32pm
It's becoming a right of passage. We'll see you over coffee!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2011 at 10:28pm
I love those 70's mustangs! Without question you are going to find water and rot. You will never pay anybody to touch your boat after this winter. Get reading and get ready, and we'll be eagerly awaiting your progress over our morning coffee!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 11:47am
I pulled up part of the floor yesterday. I'm not surprised that the foam was wet, the floor is in 5 pieces just sitting on the stringers, nice fit, but not water tight. There are 2 center access panels over the rear bilge area and under the back seat(not a problem), 2 side panels from the transom to the ski pylon and a front section under the drivers seat. I'm definitely replacing the stringers, re foaming (if I use pool noodles no one will ever know because I won't post photographs!!). I have attached photos of soaking wet foam with a puddle at the bottom of the foam and rotten stringer / floor supports. I am not very smart because I'm actually looking forward to cleaning up this mess so that I can have trouble free boating in a cool boat (my opinion) next year. Next step is to gut the interior, pull the engine and trans and get out my sawzall.

Cavity next to the exhaust

Floor support over exhaust

Floor support around pylon

Floor at front of bilge in battery box area under drivers seat
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 4:24pm
make sure you take lots of picks to relate positioning to for reassembly. also i used a tape measure in my picks to reference things
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 5:59pm
Did you make sure you put the plug in before you launched? Had to ask because i've never seen a CC sit that low in the water!

You will be more proud of your boat than anyone who buys a new one! Enjoy the process, we'll be looking forward to pictures!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 9:52pm
HA!! Yeah I put the plug in, but I can understand why you asked. About 25 years ago I launched my first boat and noticed water coming out from under the engine cover. It was a mad scramble to find the plug and get it in the hole (my specialty) before I sunk. Once you do that you learn a lesson for life. I think it looks lower than it really is because it is listing pretty badly. More water in the starboard foam I'm guessing. I am wondering where the water is getting in?? Maybe the exhaust on that side is leaking. I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 10:07pm
Two questions that can't be asked enough:

1. Is my drysuit zipped?
2. Is the plug in?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 1:45am
Joel...LOL!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 3:03am
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

It was a mad scramble to find the plug and get it in the hole (my specialty)

Well played sir! Well played.....
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 12:13pm
Most people embarking on this endeavor don't have such a positive frame of mind, but it's definately a plus! We'll see after a couple weeks of you walking around with "boat...boat...boat" swimming around in your brain. It's an addiction. By the way, send that trans to Eric at Fantastic Finishes. It'll never slip again.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:00pm

I pulled up part of the floor yesterday. I'm not surprised that the foam was wet, the floor is in 5 pieces just sitting on the stringers, nice fit, but not water tight. There are 2 center access panels over the rear bilge area and under the back seat(not a problem), 2 side panels from the transom to the ski pylon and a front section under the drivers seat.

Interesting- got any better pictures? Based on the way youre describing it, that does not sound like the original floor. Originally, your boat would have had a fiberglass skin over the foam and stringers, and then another (~1/2") layer of non-sealed wood floor above that. The second (wood) layer would have been for impact resistance and cosmetics (it would have been wrapped in vinyl or carpeted) only- it was not a seal. That was the job of the glass layer below it. If you didnt have that layer of glass, I wonder if a previous owner had replaced the floor and failed to seal it back up properly? That may explain the extensive amount of water your hull must be holding in order to be sitting in the water that low!

The only other boat Ive seen sit so low in the water was Roy's Ski Tique.

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 8:35pm

I'm actually looking forward to cleaning up this mess

That will change. I think digging foam, and the subsequent grinding are by far the worst part of the job.

Peter's suggestion about using a tape measure in your pics is a great one. I did that on tons of pics relating to various mounting points and joints. Makes it easy to reconcile some of the different head scratching moments you will run across.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 1:29am
Mike,
I have tremendous respect for your opinion. I read your thread on foam removal and stringer repair (and quite a few others) a couple of times already and I'm sure I will read it more. You did a great job, I hope that I can occasionally lean on your experience in the future. I figure that if I pace myself over the winter I will get done by spring.

Wes
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 1:54am
Tim,
I wanted to thank you for a thread somewhere in the past where you provided links to about 6 different foam /stringer jobs. That saved me alot of searching time. I read all of those links especially Keegans and Wakeslayers since their boats are close to my vintage and style.
I think mine sits a little lower in the water than Roys, but it is close.
The floor does have a layer of glass over the stringers and foam and half inch carpeted non sealed wood over that. It may have been replaced, I'm not sure. You can kind of see the fiberglass jagged edges in the first photo next to my hand. I pulled it up with my hand and snapped a piece 3 inches wide and 10 inches long off to expose the foam. The glass floor extended partially over the exhaust cavity. There are cracks in the fiberglass where it meets the main stringers next to the bilge next to the engine. I will take better photos this weekend and post them.

Picked up some Chineese food and this was in my fortune cookie

I think it should have said "Boats FULL of Water"

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2011 at 12:44pm
"15 garbage bags full of water and foam are in your future"
Mike N

1968 Mustang

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 1:15am
Removed the interior and the carpet covered plywood floor. What was underneath is shown in the photos below. There is a dark outline extending out from the sides of the engine back to the transom in a rectangular pattern. Could be a patch job gone bad. Next step is to yank the engine and trans, sawzall up the fiberglass and get out the flat tine pitchfork, hammer, flat bar and plastic explosives.

Rectangular dark area- possible patch?

Right side- Missing fiberglass is where I inspected for wet foam

Dark foam under tank and on floor- possible fuel leak?

laboratory tests indicated that this area can hold a mass of less than or equal to 224 lbs.- definitely not a "deuce and a quarter"
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 2:08am
You are where you need to be. Looks like you have
a good start. Now come the many trash bags.
From the looks of your "laboratory test",, I would bet
that stringer is no better under that glass.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 12:03pm
that is some serious rot!rest of the boat looks really clean,i love that style.iam at the same point as you,pulling engine today on the 86'.good luck
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 12:14pm

Tim,
I wanted to thank you for a thread somewhere in the past where you provided links to about 6 different foam /stringer jobs. That saved me alot of searching time. I read all of those links especially Keegans and Wakeslayers since their boats are close to my vintage and style.
The floor does have a layer of glass over the stringers and foam and half inch carpeted non sealed wood over that. It may have been replaced, I'm not sure. You can kind of see the fiberglass jagged edges in the first photo next to my hand. I pulled it up with my hand and snapped a piece 3 inches wide and 10 inches long off to expose the foam. The glass floor extended partially over the exhaust cavity. There are cracks in the fiberglass where it meets the main stringers next to the bilge next to the engine. I will take better photos this weekend and post them.

Or water in your boats.
I really like your mustang. Same color scheme as our southwind. I've slowly been tearing into her to put new stringers in. Its a labor of love, but the guys on this site are great support!
You thinking foam or no foam??
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 12:14pm

Tim,

Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 1:04pm
the patch job you refer to looks remarkably simailar to the floor of the marauder 19. when i saw mine i thought is was an isolated incident when they installed the turbos. maybe not?
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 3:53pm
Thanks Scott,
I am thinking foam right now because of the flotation and possible structural benefits, but I have the fear that if I put foam back in I am just setting myself up for doing this same job over. If the closed cell foam doesn't hold water and if I make the floor water tight I should be alright with foam. If any of the above are not true, I will be low riding in the water and thinking of putting spinners on the trailer wheels. I'm really struggling with this decision (and weather to buy the old blue burgee or the newer white and red one). I guess I will keep reading the posts on the subject and decide at the last minute- Foam, No Foam, Pool Noodles????

Bill, I am going to examine the patch job real closely when I tear the floor out. I am puzzled by it. Good to hear that I'm not alone in this endeavour. The glove box I got from you is the only thing solid in the boat, Thanks.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 4:24pm
if you look at it this way, the USCG requires foam in new boats under 22ft, which necessarily does not mean in a rebuilt boat, it is a necessary evil, it has nothing to do on the engineers table to where they said we are going to use foam for structural integrity, what happened is the coastie's said to new boat manufacturers that it must float if sunk under no other conditions without taking into account that these boats are primarily for inland lake and river use, they dont take into account that on a ski boat, most operators are ex-lifegaurds and were born with fins and duck feet. now I cant remember in the last 5 years on this site of a boat sinking and someone dying, if so it would be under very unusual circumstances and yes accidents do happen and if your in a life threatening situation the last thing you should care about is your precious boat going under, and I think thats the persona, save the boat, not save the lives? maybe?
you do have physical evidence of what foam does to a boat many times over, and if you re-engineer your boat the way a boat should be built it will have air tight pockets that will not fill with water quickly, you will add re-enforcements to make the boat structurally sound so you can wash away the fear of a solid piece of fiberglass going across flat water cracking in half. its been a debate for years, and I think if you took a poll here you would see the ones with a high amount of postings and have been around these boats for quite some time opt not to re-foam. it does not de-value the boat, no one is telling you that you have to re-foam, really, I would love to hear all the pros/cons on your personal reasons for foaming a boat and the here are some of my feelings on why not to re-foam.
1. you can build a more solid/lighter structure without it
2. i no doubt traps water
3. it saturates with water with no evidence that it does not
4. its expensive
5. without it, there is not much chance of the boat ever rotting again
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

its been a debate for years, and I think if you took a poll here you would see the ones with a high amount of postings and have been around these boats for quite some time opt not to re-foam.

You'd be surprised...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 9:49pm
That "patch job" is most likely a result of a previous owner replacing the exhaust hoses. Most of the foamed boats prior to '73 had their exhaust hoses sealed up below the floor. To replace them, you needed to cut the glass out around them and remove the foam. Looks like whoever replaced yours put the foam back in but didnt seal the floor back up!

You can almost make out the sealed exhaust cavities on my '71 Skier in this pic:

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 1:26am
You are in it now! Get that engine out of your way and get the vinyl out before doing too much more grinding etc. Yo seem to be on the right path.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 8:33am
My boat went roughly 20 years with the original foam. I figure to get at least that out of the work that went into my re-string. No?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 4:39pm
I would think it should last even longer than that with epoxy and using 5200 etc.

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 6:35pm
Definately going to last longer with CPES, Epoxy and 5200.

Is this insulation under the gas tank?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic