NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HOORAY!!! I think I have Wet Foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 1:43pm
Wow!
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 2:27pm
Thanks Tim, That's why you are a Grand Poobah and I never will be
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 3:03pm
Wesley,
Wow is an understatement!!

Regarding the 8 amp draw to the alternator, check the wiring diagram in the manual (reference section) and look for a diode in line to prevent the reverse current. I'm not sure if Chrysler did it but I do know OMC used one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 3:59pm
Wes, it looks like a brand new boat, great job!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Regarding the 8 amp draw to the alternator, check the wiring diagram in the manual (reference section) and look for a diode in line to prevent the reverse current. I'm not sure if Chrysler did it but I do know OMC used one.

I looked at the manual and I don't see an inline diode, but the alternator has rectifiers in it. I assume that there are diodes in rectifiers that may have gone bad and are allowing the current to flow backwards???? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous and get myself shocked.
I will probably take the alternator and have it checked.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 5:01pm
Wes,
Take it in and get it checked. Also ask the shop about the diode. Yes, there are diodes creating the full wave bridge rectification but that's for the output. Don't forget there is also a excitation from the regulator back to the alternator. BTW, don't take it to Autozone or any auto supply for that matter. You want to go to a good "auto electric" shop. In fact, it would be a good idea to take the regulator with you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 1:37am
thanx Tim..know you had guys like me in mind when you put the pics together.

very nice looking job BTW...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 12:54pm
Having gone through the foam removal thing some years ago, I have some suggestions.
Don't try to re-foam the boat with pour-in-place foam. It doesn't contribute much to structural rigidity. If you want flotation, either buy blocks and cut to fit or, I don't thin the pool noodles are not a bad idea. I have no idea what the durability of those would be. The only downside I found was that the hull noise from the water is a bit louder without the foam.

Don't try to put the glass over the bilge with thoughts of sealing out water. Water will get in no matter what you do. Build a good support frame for the plywood floor and upsize the floorboard pieces to 3/4" plywood. If the boat currently has the glass pan type floorboard in it, junk it and replace with the plywood.

The USCG requirement for flotation in those days was (and I think still is) that when submerged the boat must not sink completely to the bottom. Meaning that as long as the bow light is still showing above the surface, it's legal.

Having said all of that, I did sink my '65 Ski to the bottom one night after removing the foam. I put it the lake, tied it out, and left the lake. About midnight I woke up and remembered that I had not put the plug in. Pulled it out, took the starter, alternator and voltage regulator off and put them in the oven on "warm" with the door open, and had it running within 12 hours. Of course changed oil and trans fluid. Surprisingly, there was no water in either.
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic