Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HOORAY!!! I think I have Wet Foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:33am
Well, to no one's surprise except mine, I didn't get the boat finished to take on vacation. I still had a great time- as great of a time as you can have for 10 days in a cabin with 5 women (all related to me and I'm not from Arkansas!!). I worked as hard as humanly possible but fell short. We skied behind an 18 inboard outboard and I was pertty down in the dumps every morning at 7:00, looking at Otsego Lake when it was like glass and wishing I could fire up the V8 inboard. We are back now and I am ready to finish the boat but not rush the job. I've come too far to cut corners now. The following photos detail the progress up to June 30th, when I admitted defeat and left for up north the next morning.

All of the fiberglass done, 2", 4", 8" and Biax on both sides and over top of the stringers

Supports installed, PVC through the bulkheads

Through hull wood glassed in

Exhaust and Lift eye ring wood glassed and Biax'd in.

Time for the floor to go in- no foam, no noodles. floor CPES'd and bottom side has a layer of cloth epoxied on it

Luckily I have plenty of large, heavy rocks to weigh the floor down until the thickened epoxy dried
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:43am
Stringers look great. Nice work.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:57am
More photos- just had a scare where all of my boat restoration photos disappeared- Dang Friday the 13th. Thank goodness this is my lucky day. The photos are back and now backed up on a flash drive.

Floor in with CPES on top and layer of cloth on it. The floor to hull joint has thickened epoxy and taped to the sides of the hull with 2", 4" & 8" tape.

I was so busy I neglected to take photos of the installation of the copper exhaust pipes, harness, gas tank, new cutless bearing, strut, shaft and coupler.
I adjusted the position of the prop shaft through the shaft log. At first the prop shaft was not centered in the shaft log opening (it rubbed on the side and top of the hole. I adjusted the strut by putting a washer under each front bolt hole between the hull and strut. I then had my assistant move the strut slightly until the shaft was completely centered in the shaft log hole. I tightened it down and have perfect alignment through the hole and plenty of 3M 5200 sealer on all hull protrusions.

Carpet is down, access panels over battery, rear access and second rear access under back seat. I'm having a problem with the back access panel. The exhaust sticks up because I used one piece exhaust tips instead of the pipe and trim ring that were original to the boat. The one piece tips cause the exhaust hose and copper pipe to rise up and prevent the panel from laying flat onthe stringer tops.

Panel sticking up- not sure what to do to fix this. I am considering notching the panel for clearance.

The back seat covers the rear access panel completely.
I may need some help on what to do about this- any suggestions??
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:03am
So here is as far as I got before I realized that I was going to have to continue after vacation. I am going to assemble the trans to engine and attempt to install starting tomorrow morning. I appreciate all of the help this site has given me. I haven't had to ask too many questions because of all of the detailed restorations on the site. I will keep the photos coming.

I feel like I am getting close and can't wait to see it when it is in the lake for the first time.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:15am
Nice work on the stringers. However, Im curious as to the reason for only two scuppers on the inboard stringers, none on the outboard stringers ( that I could see), and none in the boxed out areas?

Water will get in there again, ya know!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 1:43am
I didn't take enough photos at every stage. I added more supports just before I put the floor down. I put the supports at every plywood joint on the mains to secondaries and secondaries to hull where possible with the drain cut outs on every support. I have a drain hole in the middle and back (transom)of each main stringer. I put a drain cutout in the back of each secondary stringers thinking that the secondary cavaties can drain to the back of the hull and into the bilge through the drain holes at the rear of the main stringers. Hope I understood the question correctly. Hopefully I have enough drain holes too
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:04am
It looks great! Very nice workmanship.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 9:32am
It's looking great. Good work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 11:12am
Wes, keep up the good work my man. She's looking great!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 2:36pm
Nice work
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 5:05pm
Lookin' Good !!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 11:28am
That looks great!
Nice job!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 6:00pm
No Bilge paint ??
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 10:51am
No, if you can believe it- I was moving along nicely, it fell off my endless list and I forgot about bilge paint and didn't feel like going back. I am going to pull the engine and rebuild it this winter and I will paint it then.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:03am
Installed the engine and Trans

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:09am
Rebuilt the trans myself. I am by no means an expert, but I have rebuilt engines. I bought a new Damper, Trans rebuild kit and gathered information. It went well (not as well as if Eric rebuilt it) Pulled the trans back out and switched the pump orientation. Pumps for Clockwise rotation (RH) engines should have LH cast mark up top. I am sure of that now. I put it in gear and the trans did nothing. A little reading and troubleshooting and now I put it in gear and it spins. Everything I do has a steep learning curve.

RH marking up top is WRONG for a Clockwise rotation engine

LH up top is correct
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:18am
Boat is all back together. I feel pretty good about it. I haven't been to the lake yet though.

I rubbed the gel with 600 and used a wheel with colishing compound and painted the boot stripe. (probably be taking the stripe back off after putting it in the water-with my luck)

I still need to do the trailer, but want to get on the water first. Trailer will be painted white.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:27am
I bought a ladder from Ski it Again. com thanks to a heads up from a member here. It was from a Southwind and didn't fit. I had to cut a section out of the rail on top so it would fit on top of the transom and had to remove a length of material out of the back because it was too long. A friend welded the rails back together and I routered new, wider Teak steps. Turned out pretty good. I have banned my wife from the boat for being a non believer. (she can ski behind it, but cannot get in, so she better not fall). She says stuff l ike" you paid $100.00 for that ladder then had to cut ip up AND make your own steps??" Woman you are officially banned....again.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:37am
I had a lumber company make new teak steps, I should have routered them myself and saved $70.00.

Interior is just like when I purchased it except adding a glove box (from a member here)

One of my favorite shots (sticker purchased from a member here)

Ready to head to the lake- when the wind isn't 40m.p.h.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:41am
Beautiful!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:11pm
Thanks Chris and everyone else who had comments.
That 78 Ski Tique in your diaries is exactly what I want for my next boat (already thinking of my purchase)
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:36pm
Wes,
Could you give me the measurements on the teak steps on the deck, I need a set made for a 1973 Martinique, Ask who made them for you ?
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:27pm
I still have one of the originals and will get the dimensions and photos for you tonight when I get home. I had them milled by Michigan Lumber, but they aren't the exact profile that the original was. The new ones are more rounded in the valleys where the originals were more square. I bought the teak off ebay and they charged me $70.00 to mill them. It would have cost alot more if they had custom knives made. Actually if you are going to have some made, I can ship you the original that I have and when you are done you can ship it back? Just a thought.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:04pm
A-WE-SOME!!

She looks beautiful Wes!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

I bought the teak off ebay and they charged me $70.00 to mill them. It would have cost alot more if they had custom knives made.

Wesley,
Custom knives? It's a profile that can be cut with a standard stack dado set on the table saw! If you ever need it done again, it would take me about 30 minuets out in the shop. They must have seen you coming in the door. Did they ask you to bend over?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:49pm
Wes,
I have a good friend who has a wood shop I would like to take you up on your offer to borrow one of your original ones to see if he can duplicate for me and I would gladly send it back to you.
Mike
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 5:27pm
Mike,
PM me your address and I will send the teak step to you. I'm not sure I would need it back. Pete is going to make me some.

Pete,
Thanks for the offer, I actually considered using an adjustable dado that I have had in the garage for years, but in the conversation with the guy at the lumber yard (when he was bending me over) we discussed how square grooves would be more likely to split and break as opposed to a radius in that corner. As we know from stringer installation a fillet on a joint is much stronger than without one. I would have liked square grooves just for the originality   
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 12:53pm
I took the boat out to the lake a few times and it ran great. We skied behind it quite a bit, but no tubing...yet. One remaining problem is a 8 amp drain on the battery when the key is off. I systematically disconnected components until I narrowed it down to the alternator / regulator circuit. I am thinking it is internal to the alternator. Hopefully I am on the right path....but I always think that

I thought I would post this picture to contrast with the first picture in this thread.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 1:00pm
Wow, you can really notice that it sits higher in the water. It looks awesome.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

I took the boat out to the lake a few times and it ran great. We skied behind it quite a bit, but no tubing...yet. One remaining problem is a 8 amp drain on the battery when the key is off. I systematically disconnected components until I narrowed it down to the alternator / regulator circuit. I am thinking it is internal to the alternator. Hopefully I am on the right path....but I always think that

I thought I would post this picture to contrast with the first picture in this thread.

Easier to compare when theyre on the same page...

Before:

Nice difference!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic