NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HOORAY!!! I think I have Wet Foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Holy extra heavyduty secondaries Batman!!!!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 9:04pm
Pulled the engine out today. Came in to post some pictures and began reading the composite stringer thread. NOW I am more confused than ever. I am planning on using Douglas Fir, but am having second thoughts about putting wood stringers in the boat and just waiting for the rot to begin again. I guess I will take a bunch of measurements, grind out the wood in the transom for the exhaust, rudder and lifting eye and wait for a miracle stringer replacement to come along before Christmas. I wish you guys would hurry up and figure this out for me. I thought this would be an easy job guess I was wrong (sarcasm). I guess I will just take my wife out for dinner and drinks.

No wonder the lag bolts won't tighten up, threads are full of wood pulp.

Really considering putting a chevy 350 in this boat. I'm just not a Chrysler guy.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 9:30pm
Since you have been going through the stringer threads, hopefully you have picked up on the pro's and con's on doug fir over composite. I really feel it comes down to cost and how much time you want to spend. Composite will cost more and take more time! However, I feel there's nothing wrong with a doug job, CPES and epoxy.

Keep the engine - you're not a Chrysler guy? They make absolutely fantastic marine engines - do NOT compare them to automotive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 11:44pm
Chryslers sound great, too! Definately old school sound that goes great with that boat.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:42am
I agree keep it chrysler. That is pretty much as original as you can get. Watch out how you leave it sitting out of the boat. The oil pan is cast aluminum and big bucks to replace.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:51am
Wes. You have to keep the chrysler. Your project looks to be coming along nicely. I dug out foam this week. No fun at all.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Since you have been going through the stringer threads, hopefully you have picked up on the pro's and con's on doug fir over composite. I really feel it comes down to cost and how much time you want to spend. Composite will cost more and take more time! However, I feel there's nothing wrong with a doug job, CPES and epoxy.

+ 1

What do yall think about a composite stringer system as a first project? From what I can tell, composite is more technical along with the time and cost.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 4:37pm
Doing the job exactly like it came only replacing the wood with coosa I dont think it particularily hard in terms of difficulty. (This means refoam and fiberglass skin over the floor. In fact when compared to doing a full cpes job where you take care to seal every screw, hole etc it may in fact be easier to achieve the same result. But there is no doubt the Coosa has some expense. There is the effort to laminate together to coosa into longer shapes for the stringers but after the effort it similar only you dont need to cpes.

It is going foamless that adds some extra steps.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 11:50am
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of your input. I am putting the Chrysler engine back in because it is the original engine. The reason I considered changing to a Chevy is that I have an opportunity to buy a marine 350 engine (probably still going to buy it). I think I have made up my mind to use douglas fir, CPES, no foam, drain holes, extra ribs added for strength and leave the exhaust cavities accessible with removalbe panels that span to the secondaries. If I throw some pool noodles in before the floor goes on it will be a last minute decision. I was at that point where I needed to pick a path and move forward and I have. I'm feeling pretty good about the direction I have chosen and believe that based on what I have learned on this site I can do a good job even though I have never worked with fiberglass before. I appreciate all of your opinions and hope to lean on them as I progress and regress all at the same time.
Thanks, Wes
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 7:38pm
the only downside to the pool noodles i used was that mine arent secured and they must move around a bit and the foam is breaking down, also one winter mice got to them . all in all quite a sucess.............
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 5:35am
I am not a fan of noodles after I found the heavy as concrete noodles in the bilge of a boat I restored. One must wonder about the quality of the foam used in a cheap toy VS U S Composites closed cell flotation foam. Another thought I have, that I have no research to back it up, but it seems logical to me, is that by increasing the surface area of the foam dramatically as using multiple noodles does, it seems logical that it has much more surface area to absorb water through.

If you use your boat like this I believe some type of flotation is appropriate.

Flotation
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 9:49am
what about glueing concrete foam to the underside of the floor, its pink and closed cell, you just dont want a place that will trap water.
will you guys ever go out in a rowboat?
"the things you own will start to own you"
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2011 at 12:42pm
John,
I hope I never submarine my boat like that, but my wife may drive occasionally (after several weeks of intense instruction) so the boat may see that kind of crazy driving.

Eric,
I am not going out in a row boat- too much work. Foam of any kind is probably not going into my hull, I just seem to have that thought creep into my mind every now and then.

I have a serious question though, when disassembling my engine and trans I found a bunch of rust flakes covering the top of the trans cooler. Obviously not a good situation but I assume the water flows from top down. In your experience does this mean my manifolds are flaking, cutting off water flow to the cooler and contributing to killing my trans?

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 10:57pm
When I pulled the engine out of the boat I noticed a core plug (freeze Plug) laying in the bilge along with water and some coolant. I guess that when I drained the block the drain hole was plugged and I didn't get all of the water out. Just filling the engine with coolant was not enough to "winterize" the block. Next time I will keep the drains open when filling with coolant to see it coming out the drain before capping it off. Hopefully no damage like a cracked block, but I am going to disassemble and inspect the engine. Rings, bearings, gaskets, freeze plugs, seals and valve job at a minimum. I am learning alot....the hard way.

Trans crated, need a new damper too. List is getting longer and I haven't even started making a list.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:16pm
You just trying to slip the picture of the turbo by everyone or what??
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:22pm
Just trying to be funny
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 12:03am
I have two that are not in use if want to get serious.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:54am
normally the cooler flow is from the bottem of the boat right to the "in" side of the cooler, how was yours plumbed, I just did a complete r and r of a trans, the guy winterized it when he brought it to me, well i pulled the hose to the cooler and it was packed tight with sea-weed...he told me he seen that and thought it was some type of screen and left it in there...in hindsight he did remember the boat being very sluggish after runs and his temp gauge was not working...so the cooler affects the entire system
"the things you own will start to own you"
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:23am
I haven't posted in a while, been busy working and going to school- plus sneaking in the stringer replacement job when I can. It has been alot of hard work that has been made easier by the people who have gone before me. I really learned alot from reading on this site and have had no real surprises, except for the cake decorating bag of molten epoxy that I had to throw out of the boat to prevent 3rd degree burns on my hands
I thought I would post a few photos:

Pulled out 2 stringers that were good for templates

Thank God for Tyvek suits and asbestos rated full face respirators

4 1/2 inch Angle grinder and 15 36 grit flap discs
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:38am
I couldn't find clear vertical grain Doug Fir, so I ended up buying construction grade Doug Fir and stacking inside my family room for a month to get it down to 9% moisture content
Wife: how long is that wood going to be in the house?
Me: til I put it in the boat.
Wife: So, you are saying it is here permenantly?
Me: &^%$#@)(*&^

I shaped the stringers using the template stringers, bevel gauge and a carpenters square. Power planer made short work of the changing angle of the bevel. I replaced them one side at a time using 2X for both the main and the secondary stringers. Test fitted them, and then coated with CPES.

I made fixtures before removing the stringers, but had to add a small piece of the fiberglass that I removed to compensate for the bare stringers. I replaces port stringers and then removed the starboard and got out the grinder....again!!!

Flipped my fixtures around and installed the other stringers, CPES, Cloth, Peanut butter.

Filled in some small gaps between the hull and stringers, put in some fillets, and I have 2" and 4" tape down. I am putting 8" and 12" Biax on both sides with 12" biax over the top of the stringers tomorrow.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:46am
How is this for a clueless boat guy who is eternally optimistic:

I am going on vacation the week of the fourth of July and want to take this boat with me (and ski behind it!)

My plan is to be done by then. I have been buying parts for the boat all winter- gas tank, fuel pump, fuel hose, rebuilt the carb, exhaust hoses, copper pipe, New damper, rebuilt trans, ladder, the list goes on and on. I wnated to state my idiotic goal in public so that it will motivate me to work night and day to meet my goal. I'm just saying....
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:54am
Ty Pennington can build an entire house in a week, I'm just saying.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Ty Pennington can build an entire house in a week, I'm just saying.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 8:45am
You are going to be a busy beaver, cool era Mustang.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 9:39am
Wesley,
I'd say you are optimistic for the 4th but just keep going and see what happens. It may work out.

So far the job is looking fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:01am
Looks great Wes. Have a great 4th of July!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:13am

How is this for a clueless boat guy who is eternally optimistic:

I am going on vacation the week of the fourth of July and want to take this boat with me (and ski behind it!)

My plan is to be done by then. I wanted to state my idiotic goal in public so that it will motivate me to work night and day to meet my goal. I'm just saying....

He's looking for us to pump him up, motivitate and help him get er' done. Don't be so negative Pete. he might have the rest of June off.

Great job, looking good she's coming along. Ya got exactly 3 weeks left. Drive on with a vengence!

Wife: how long is that wood going to be in the house?
Me: til I put it in the boat.
Wife: So, you are saying it is here permenantly?
Me: &^%$#@)(*&^

I'm still laughing over this one!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 11:28am
Looks like super nice work.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:37pm
Very nice work. You're getting there..... keep pushing forward!

80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 3:41pm
Love the jigs you used to hold the stringers. Looking good, hope you hit your date.
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic