NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Selling boat to Canadian

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling boat to Canadian
    Posted: October-09-2011 at 12:43am
There's someone interested in my 86 and they're from Canada. Anyone sold a boat to our northern neighbors? What kind of paperwork should the potential buyer and I be looking for to make this potential transaction go smoothly?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 11:25am
the paperwork should have pictures of Ben Franklin on them
"the things you own will start to own you"
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 12:48pm
Eric said it best. As far as you are concerned, you'll just sign over your paperwork as the seller. The buyer needs to educate him/herself as to what their requirement is on that side of the border. But as the seller, you just sign the title, AND the transferable registration for the trailer and you're set. Nothing special on your end.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Eric said it best. As far as you are concerned, you'll just sign over your paperwork as the seller. The buyer needs to educate him/herself as to what their requirement is on that side of the border. But as the seller, you just sign the title, AND the transferable registration for the trailer and you're set. Nothing special on your end.

What if I haven't registered either? Been running under the radar all summer :-)
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 1:05pm
If you havent registered the boat or trailer then it largely depends on the state of the paperwork you have from the original owner. If it has your name on it and is not open then you dont have a whole lot of choice- either you register it (and pay the sales tax)or it will be relatively hard to get rid of
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

What if I haven't registered either? Been running under the radar all summer :-)

The boat or the trailer?

If you haven't registered the trailer, but you HAVE the transferrable registration from a previous year, you just need to sign that. Most trailers use the transferable registration as title to the trailer, regardless if it's current.

But if you've NEVER registered the trailer, you'll need to before you sell it.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2011 at 1:38pm
Sold a jet ski to a canadian, including a trailer that had become "home made" due to a previous owners registration dificulties. Had my ducks in a row and had no problems, but it will not cross the border if anything is in question.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2011 at 10:14am
he can say he had warranty work done on the boat to easily get it across the border
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2011 at 12:18pm
My brother sold his Checkmate to a Canadian. The only thing interesting or unusual about the transaction was that the guy sent entirety of the payment... in cash via Fedex. My brother just had to make the boat available to the transport company that picked it up.

I know he had both the boat and trailer registered at the time though.
guiwang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guiwang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2011 at 2:41am
Just imported my boat this past summer to manitoba from minnesota, and it was surprisingly easy. From the PO i needed a clean title and registration for both boat and trailer. On the bill of sale the price paid for the boat and trailer had to be listed separately as we pay different taxes to different agencies upon registration. The rest should be up to him. Good luck

Gui
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic