NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 6:21pm
West Marine has the special stuff on sale this month, $8.99/gal after rebate.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I still do not agree about pouring it in vs. sucking it in, in my case. You aren't pouring it in on a BBC in a Vdrive. And the stat on the 289 is vertical. It's is just easier to draw in it from a bucket on both these crafts.

No comment on the BBC v-drive, as Ive no experience there... but its really easy to pour in on an Interceptor/Conquerer. Just pour it in the (big) hose attached to the circ pump.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I still do not agree about pouring it in vs. sucking it in, in my case. You aren't pouring it in on a BBC in a Vdrive. And the stat on the 289 is vertical. It's is just easier to draw in it from a bucket on both these crafts.

No comment on the BBC v-drive, as Ive no experience there... but its really easy to pour in on an Interceptor/Conquerer. Just pour it in the (big) hose attached to the circ pump.

Agree but Tim the debate will go on long after I'm 6' under!

Yes, what ever happened to our -100 member?? Maybe he didn't follow OSHA PEL guidelines and inhaled too much of the -100??    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 1:16pm
For me I don't feel it's that big of a hassle to run the A/F through. It also makes me feel better and that I got it through the heater, shower and anywhere else it may go.
But that's just me being anal which I tend to be with my toy's.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

For me I don't feel it's that big of a hassle to run the A/F through. It also makes me feel better and that I got it through the heater, shower and anywhere else it may go.
But that's just me being anal which I tend to be with my toy's.

Do you drain everything first? If not, youre taking a dangerous shortcut.

If you do, then I still think youre doing more work than needed. Anything beyond draining properly is just a bonus- I cant see how pouring in is being any less complete vs. arranging the contraption you have pictured above. If youre worried about how well youre draining, see my comment above!

Being thorough (or anal) is one thing (and Ive been called both many times). But adding extra, inefficient work for no reason at all is another.

Just my 2 cents!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2011 at 5:21pm
Tim,
I do drain the block so it doesn't get too diluted but that's about it. It isn't really more work as I use this time as the motor warm-up to change the oil.
Plus this way I'm sure there isn't any pockets of water left in my heater/shower lines.
The contraption is simply a PVC elbo with a piece of pipe and some 1" flex hose at a couple cents a foot.
I disconnect the strainer stick the flex hose on fill it with A/F start the boat and go get a beer.
Crandonskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crandonskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 2:35pm
I just bought my first ski nautique and have started the winterizing process. I have owned outboards before, but never an inboard. I have removed the drains plugs on each side of the block and both plugs on the exaust manifold. Additionally, I have removed cold hose to the shower which also opened the line to the water pump on the front of the engine. How do I get the water out of the heater? I have also read the posts that say to pour anti-freeze back in. Do I pour the anti-freeze back into the block from the drain plugs or does it have to be pumped in with some special tool?
CS
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:46am
Jason - I suggest reading the owners manual that can be found in the reference section of the site. It gives very good directions. You didn't mention draining the U-pipe, don't miss that!

I don't have a shower or heater but would suggest blowing them out with air & then getting AF poured in those too. Some guys have had leaking heater cores.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic