NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1997nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Cable
    Posted: August-30-2011 at 12:51am
Have 1997 Ski Nautique with 460 hrs & going to try & replace steering cable myself. I looked at it tonight & does anybody have a good way to loosen the bolts that hold on the rudder. They seem impossible to lossen up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 9:28am
A big wrench and a little penetrating oil. There are 2 of them, top one locks the bottom one so be sure your loosening the right one first.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 12:39pm
Just to make sure when you say the bottom bolt that would be located at the back end of the boat. Thanks for the info.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 1:01pm
Just to clarify, hopefully you're not trying to remove the whole port by mistake. The nuts are inside the boat on top of the rudder shaft unterneath the tiller arm.    The top one is thin and the bottom one is thick with a cup underneath to hold the packing rope in the port. There are some washers and a bolt on top of the rudder that prevent it from falling out. The top one locks the bottom one in place so it need to be loosened first. Once that one is loose the other one may not even need a wrench to loosen.    When you reinstall, the bottom one goes first and once that is tight enough to prevent the port from leaking, then the top one is tightened to keep it in place.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2011 at 1:50pm
By the way, to change the steering cable you don't need to mess with the rudder port, just take the cable loose from the end of the tiller arm and out of the clamp block. .
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 3:06pm
I assume the rudder port is located under the rear seat under the floor? So must have to remove the back seat & also the floor to get at? When I ordered the steering cable from Nautique parts I talked to them & they said it was best to pull the old cable out from under the steering wheel & then attach the new cable to the other end & pull thru. That sound correct?

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 3:14pm
Hook them together so as one comes out it pulls the other one in. A helper is nice to have too. Everything is under and probably behind the back seat, take out along with the panel behind the motor and you should be able to see it. Then you can decide if you want to remove anything else to help out.
Hammerhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammerhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 3:21pm
I want to replace this in my 77 Ski Tique, is it a similar process? How much should a steering cable run me if I buy it and do it myself?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2011 at 1:50am
They are about $250, best insurance you can buy.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dillon5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2011 at 1:13am
Please see my link:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20274&title=steering-cable-replacement-on-a-95-sn--do-it
95 Nautique 351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1997nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 1:50pm
Replaced the cable last weekend. Turned out to be a very easy job. Wow does it steer nice now. Thanks for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic