Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Martinique Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martinique Stringers
    Posted: August-28-2011 at 6:53pm
Hi everybody.

After several months of lurking mu first post.

I recently bought a 1986 Martinique and having removed the rear floor and pressure washed all the c**p out found that I will be doing a stringer replacement next year. The screwdriver test goes the full 8" with no resistance. The photos are by the rear cross brace above the shaft exit.

POs have used builders foam and pained it to disguise the lack of wood in the stringer.

Has anybody done one on a Martinique? How d you get round the fiberglass floor in the open bow?

Any info welcome (I am working through all the other threads on stringer replacements)

What other materials are usable or have been used other than Douglas fir and LVL?

Thanks

Tom

1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 4:22pm
I'd guess all the big martiniques need stringer replacement--mine included! But you'll be the first as none I know of are documented here. Sounds like you've done a little research, but you're going to have to "pull the cap" to get at those stringers. I think there's a current southwind thread that shows it being done. Basically, you remove the top of the hull from the bottom at the rubrail where it should be fastened together. Might want to check out the BFN stringer threads as well, as the martinique should be similar under the floor. Jsarski's fish thread might be good too, but he did some pretty unique stuff that might not translate to your job. Welcome, and keep the pictures flowing!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2011 at 6:32pm
Tom welcome to the site. It sounds like you are going to be busy this winter! Almost everyone, myself included, asks about alternative stringer materials when starting their research, but the bottom line is that D fir is what you need to use unless you are willing to spend the extra time and money to fabricate stringers out of coosa board. Its not always easy to find DF but with some persistence you will find it. (Just noticed you are in Italy so it may be hard to get DF over there, but you never know) We have a few site members scattered around Europe. They may be able to help you out.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:44am
You may want to look at the thread by Okieboarder. It is a Supra but he had to pull the top off. I would like to see you document this on this site. I haven't seen one of these done yet. I will be watching as mine will need this someday.

David
86 Martinique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 7:38am
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

POs have used builders foam and (painted?) it to disguise the lack of wood in the stringer.

That's a dirty trick. Even so, that's where the water intrusion starts.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

POs have used builders foam and (painted?) it to disguise the lack of wood in the stringer.

That's a dirty trick. Even so, that's where the water intrusion starts.

Wow, I didn't see that before! Thats terrible!

I'm interested to see where this thread goes. Consider me signed up!
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2011 at 5:38am
I think that the big job will get bigger, I had guessed at taking the top off. I don't think that D fir will be common in Italy. I need to go to the builders and see if composite roof beams are available. Importing will probably be impractical, but feasible and preferable to haveing to laminate one's own.
1986 Martinique - sold

must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 7:18am
I am starting to plan for next winter and am looking at Douglas fir and LVL for the stringers. Does anybody out there know what dimensions/lengths the stringers are. Beening where I am I would have to order the stringer blanks before starting the job.

Thanks
1986 Martinique - sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 8:32am
Tom,
Welcome. We'll help when ever we can. You're going to have to measure the size needed for the stringers. If you can get LVL over there, it's a great alternate to the doug fir. Just remember it's a 1/4" thicker so you'll need to adjust your spacing. Don't forget the CPES. If you can't get it, Roger over in England, came up with a "home brew" by using the Rot Doctors MSDS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 8:21am
I spoke to Rot Doctor yesterday and their minimum order id $700 plus freight....

What 'brew' did Roger come up with? What is his user name?

Thanks
1986 Martinique - sold

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 9:31am
Roger is uk1979. Look down this page for 'UK's 78 SN'. I think his formula is in that thread near the beginning. If not, someone with a better memory will help out.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 9:33am

I spoke to Rot Doctor yesterday and their minimum order id $700 plus freight....

What 'brew' did Roger come up with? What is his user name?

Thanks

Roger's screen name is uk1979 and then something happened so he had to get a new one which is uk1979 part 2 I tried doing some searching to see if I could find his post where he listed the brew but I couldn't find it. Roger visits frequently so hopefully he'll pick up the request.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2011 at 12:01pm
Sorry guys I'm a bit slow here look in my Starflite Rebuild it has the home brew that Billy,and Tim put me onto should be links to more info, you have 2 of the top guys on your build so your in safe hands.

Info on page 3.

Starflite Rebuild
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2011 at 4:34pm
This may be of help I use Sicomin Epoxy they have a Italian distributor Sicomin I used SR8200&SD8205
43Kg drum works out cheaper here than buying it in 5kg lots, its none blush and easy to use but if mixing allot put it in a big tray or it will kick fast, I think 1 43kg drum will do your job just need to check that this epoxy can be thinned like I did with the other type Sicomin epoxy I think you can by what I read on Tim's link,this is a cheaper epoxy as its for laying up/bonding and not so clear as the other one I'm using.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic