Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NSS Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NSS Confusion
    Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:21am
I recently purchased a new NSS for my boat because I was having problems with the boat starting about 50% of the time while out on the water and after stopping. When I mean not starting, I mean you turn the ignition switch on and nothing happens even though it may have started a few minutes ago when we began skiing. My thought was that after 36 years, I need a new switch(against what Pete advised and was correct again) but alas I was apparently wrong. I put the new switch in and it's the same problem.

I can't take the boat out again until this is fixed because I am subject to being towed in due to this problem. I never know if it will start or not. I got it started yesterday and made it back to the dock and barely got it on the trailer because it would not start even then.

I thought it may be corroded wires in the ignition or some where in the process like the starter wires, battery connections, or connectiions.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:44am
Scott,
Do you know if the start relay (solenoid) is getting power and energizing? You should be able to hear it click. Check for power on the cable going to the starter when you turn the key to the start position. We'll go on from there.

Did I post the wiring diagram for you? Do you have it? It will come in handy when we dig into the problem!!

EDIT: I just went back through your first thread about the problem and found I hadn't posted the wiring diagram so, here it is:

The only problem is this diagram doesn't show the NSS but, it in line with the white wire between the "S" term on the key switch and the coil them on the start relay.

Did you ever check the cable adjustment??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 7:22pm
Pete,
No, I do not know if the solenoid is getting power. I had the engine cover up yesterday but I can't say I heard any clicking but that may be because I was not listening for it.

Can you tell me how to check the power on the starter cable and do you mean when it is in the "on" position or turned all the way to the right or the "start" position?

As far as the cable adjustment goes, it looks to be in the perfect location with no slack. The linkage looks to be straight up and down 12:00 when the shifter is in neutral.

On a side note, my tach has not worked since the stringer rebuild last year and someone(I think it was a DR.____?)told me where the four wires associated with the tach to verify but I can't find the post. Maybe this diagram will help me find the problem.

Thanks,

Scott
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 7:38pm
Scott,
You have a meter correct?? When the key switch is turned to the start position, You should see 12 volt nominal at the small white wire on the relay. That's the coil hot coming from the ignition switch via the NSS. Check it and get back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:04pm
I recently had this problem and it turned out to be the wire that leads to the solinoid that kicks the starter over had been resting on the hot part of the exhaust manifold and had burned right through.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:19pm
When this happens if you giggle the throttle forward and back about 1/4" does the boat start? The morse control may be a little worn and not resting dead center in neutral or the trans shift cable is slightly out of adjustment.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 12:19am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

When this happens if you giggle the throttle forward and back about 1/4" does the boat start? The morse control may be a little worn and not resting dead center in neutral or the trans shift cable is slightly out of adjustment.

Thanks for the hint but I have done this and it does not seem to work. The shifter seems firm and snug..........not that this is wrong but to the contrary maybe like it felt when it was originally installed.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I recently had this problem and it turned out to be the wire that leads to the solinoid that kicks the starter over had been resting on the hot part of the exhaust manifold and had burned right through.

I'll check this out tomorrow or soon and let you know. It was just too hot out in the garage today to mess with it. Thanks.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 12:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Scott,
You have a meter correct?? When the key switch is turned to the start position, You should see 12 volt nominal at the small white wire on the relay. That's the coil hot coming from the ignition switch via the NSS. Check it and get back.

Will do Pete. But you know me and wiring(remember my bilge pump topic ). I will try and work on it this week. Thanks.

Scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 12:52pm
UPDATE:

Just got back from a two week vacation on the lake. Probably put 30 hours on the boat.

No problems with this anymore. Don't remember if I told everyone how we fixed it so here goes. Back in January, we were trying everything to fix this problem including leaving the ignition on when I accidently touched the fuse holder directly above the ignition switch. It was so HOT it would almost burn your hand, if fact it would if you held it for a few seconds. Found out the problem was one wire on the back of the fuse holder was about 1/3 or 1/2 way connected. My friend John said that if that female wire is not all the way conncected to the male terminal, the load is too much and caused the fuse connector to get hot and not work and thus no ignition.

We pushed the wire all the way up, made sure all the other wires on the ignition were fully connected and the problem I have had for years is fixed, and at no cost. Started every time this summer no matter how much driving I did.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic