Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Overflow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Overflow
    Posted: August-21-2011 at 2:21am
I've tried putting the gas nozzle in different positions and using different fill speeds but no matter what I try gas overflows. Any suggestions?   1990 Sport Nautique if it matters....

Tom
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 10:23am
Tom, from my experience when filling up the boat they all do it.... it's just the nature of the beast. Only solution that I have found is when filing her up you'll need to listen as the gas is going in. You'll here the pitch change when she is almost full or pretty close to it then you'll know to stop.

Only problem you have is when some idiot has his BOOM BOOM going so loud while he is filling up his ride that you can't hear it then you'll have to lower your ear to listen and hope you shut it off before you get an ear full of fuel.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 12:43pm
Tom,
You are talking about it coming out of the vent correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 1:09pm
I think he is experiencing the problem when filling. Gas is not going down the tube and spilling or gurgling.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 1:25pm
If you cant afford to fill the tank full its not a problem.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 1:57pm
Sounds to me what he is describing is a problem during fueling not when the tank is full. Open up the pump all the way and it squirts back out of the receptacle. Right? I have a funky bend in the 6" hose going from the receptacle to the tank which constricts the flow and makes it a real PITA to fuel up. For now my solution is that I only get gas from the one place I know I can control the flow. (also happens to be the station that has the best deals on 93) Makes it real exciting when I am at a marina in the water trying to fuel up. Seems like marinas always have monster pressure at their pumps.

For your situation, if this is the problem, I would say take a look at the path the fuel follows from receptacle to tank. Are there any major bends, or anything out of the ordinary along the way? Maybe there is a curve to it and has sort of collapsed?

I am not sure what I am going to do about my problem. The best solution for me might be to make a hard elbow out of pipe and then use the hose to connect it to tank and receptacle. For me its mostly been a problem when I go out of town to an unknown gas station or marina.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 4:45pm
Mostly just when it gets completely full.. gas gushes out of the fill hole. (not the vent)

Tom
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 6:09pm
Guessing game on this one. Just watch your gallons-- think about what it's gonna take to get full, start slowing down-- Just like a man--- wanting to do everything quick Gotta go slow and let her enjoy too !!

Yours like mine has a tricky bend where it goes in -- The Fuel Fill Hose guys! It is a sharp "S" on it's side. Until it gets air- it'll explode on ya like that--MESSY! MESSY! MESSY!

I would have trouble with mine at first, until I figured that the safety cable that holds the fuel cap was kinking and getting in the way of FULL INSERTION! Now that I straighten the cable out, it goes all the way in, deep, and no problems since then. So experiment with her and take it slow-----    I'm still talking about fueling the boat guys!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

I would have trouble with mine at first, until I figured that the safety cable that holds the fuel cap was kinking and getting in the way of FULL INSERTION! Now that I straighten the cable out, it goes all the way in, deep, and no problems since then. So experiment with her and take it slow-----    I'm still talking about fueling the boat guys!

I thought I'd help Marty explain himself better by cutting out some unneeded wording.

What Marty was really trying to say is this...

I would have trouble with mine at first, until I figured out it was kinking Now that I straighten it out, goes all the way in, deep no problems FULL INSERTION with boat fueling guys
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 12:36pm
I have the same problem with my 2000 Sport.

Solution: slow and steady wins the race ... and like Morfoot said, listen for the sound to change as it nears the top.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 7:19pm
What works for me is to hold the pump handle upside down and NOT insert it fully...just the tip, that way there's air flow around the nozzle. Then slow and steady. Mine overflows if I rush it no matter if its full or empty. The gas dock guys at my marina don't even try to help any more, they know it'll take twice as long if they do.

Try to just flip 'er over, only stick it in a little, then squeeze gently. Works every time for me.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 9:29pm
I fought this for years then found the problem when relocating the HUGE honking tank (1997 Ski) the vent anti-spill valve is a rubber ball that needs to be in the vertical position to work right.

CC installed it flat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by SharkSN SharkSN wrote:

I fought this for years then found the problem when relocating the HUGE honking tank (1997 Ski) the vent anti-spill valve is a rubber ball that needs to be in the vertical position to work right.

CC installed it flat.

Please read the thread again. This is NOT a vent issue and the reason I specifically asked the question!!! Paul, you are ADD

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 9:57pm
>>> gas gushes out of the fill hole. (not the vent)

if a tank can't vent the gas gushes.......

i can read cheers,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic