NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft and strut issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft and strut issue
    Posted: August-20-2011 at 7:39am
I don't know if this is an issue or not. I've been keeping the boat at the house lately and I noticed that there is a out a 1/4in or so polished part on the shaft just behind the strut. I don't usually see this part so I don't know how long it's been there.

I've pulled the floor and checked the coupling, it looks good. It is a bit different, 8 bolts and the 2 that run across the shaft. It kinda looks like it's clamped in instead of the usual zero clearance fit. I cant pull the prop to the rudder or push it away, and the prop clearance to the rudder looks fine. There isnt anything on the coupling end of the shaft that looks like it is moving there. The bushing in the strut looks good and with almost 900hrs I'm thinking it's been replaced before. If I look at it from behind the boat, I don't notice it so it could have been there from the beginning, 300 hrs ago. Looking at it from behind the boat it's not noticeable.   

I can't think of anything else I should check, but I certainly don't want tear up most of the underwater gear because I missed something, anybody got any other ideas?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 9:24am
Don,
A picture or two would be great but it sounds like you have a clamp on style prop shaft coupling. The 8 bolts is confusing unless there's a urethane "prop saver" between the two coupling halves. Installing one of them without shortening the shaft pushes the shaft aft and you then would see a polished spot aft of the strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 12:36pm
I'll see if I can get some pics, remember it's a Vdrive, so it's kinda hard to see. I used a mirror to look at it.   There isn't anything between the coupling halves, and I guessed at 8 bolts, but there's a lot, no space left for anymore.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 3:01pm
Tx,

I looked at my Excel this am, and I have the exact same polished area on my shaft.

Do you notice a slight noise in reverse? I noticed it the last time, and now I see this.

My coupler is same as you describe.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 3:18pm
If you see a polished area aft of the strut, then the prop shaft has slipped aft out of the coupling! The polished area is from the cutlass bearing. Guy's, it's a PITA to get to the coupling in a V drive but you need to check it out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 3:29pm

Sorry, they're a bit over exposed and the underside of my Vdrive is not pristine, but i refuse to pull it out just to clean it.

I can't see where something moved on this end, and it looks like all the parts are original.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 4:03pm
Don.
Post a picture of the polished spot aft of the strut. So far, everything looks good and it does not appear the shaft has slipped in the coupling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 9:56pm

I think you can see that, like I said everything in the back looks like its in place. If something was loose i think loading it on the trailer would have pushed it the other direction.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 1:15am
OK, I figured it out talking to a neighbor tonight.   He looked at it and knew what it was right away. The non stretch ropes are stinger than the motor so when they get wraped in the prop they don't break and the weakest point is that coupling so the shaft gets pulled out. I can't remember the last time I caught a rope, not even positive that we've hit one with this boat, so it's been that way at least a couple of years. He did the same thing last year and it actualy pulled the shaft completely out of the coupling which is why he recognized it right away.   I'll put it on the todo list since it now has at least 200 hrs on it I'm guessing its not causing an issue. I'll keep an eye on it though just to make sure it's not moving any further.

I am curious though if that coupling requires the usual treatment with the heat, or is it just a mater of loosening the 2 bolts and slipping everything forward a little.   
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 2:35am
I can tell you if you remove the 2 bolts, the shaft will not just slip out.

I just tried tonight, working on my replacing my packing gland, that the shaft will not just slip right out. I did not get to put any real force on it, other than slight taps. Might need a bit more "help"

It got too late tonight before I could get to the other 8 bolts.

I hit some rocks last weekend. Now I have the polished area, just like yours. I have never hit a rope though. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary, but my friend who owns a Super air Nautique, thinks mine sounds funny in reverse.

I'll let you know, if it helps, in a bit when I finish taking mine apart.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 3:13am
That's good news, if it's hard to get out then I don't have to worry about it moving. You'll need to look up the socket trick to remove the shaft from the coupling. I guess it also means it has to be heated to reinstall and that's gonna be a beotch to put on underneath everything.

I think think the Borg trannys just sound different from the PCM's and the Hurth's, I think they're quieter, might be the gutless Chevys they're attached to though.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic