Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

spark plug info for 97 ski 5.8

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spark plug info for 97 ski 5.8
    Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:20pm
Hi guys....at lake shasta with the fam and the boat has not overheated or melted any of the down pipes!   You guys may remember my post from last week.

Anyway..I seem to have a miss. The engine lopes at idle and at times while on a lake run I can hear sudden rpm changes. After the exhaust pipe meltdown the shop never replaced the plugs....I should have!

So im on the lake and want to replace the plugs. Can someone help be with finding a generic plug that will work in my engine. I have the 5.8 ford engine. Im afraid I wont be able to find the factory plugs way up here in shasta. There are a few marinas on the lake but it will be touch and go.

TIA

Phil
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:24pm
autolite #24 if you have std heads
autolite #764 if you have HO engine gt40 heads

if autolite not available cross reference them...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:36pm
Kap, I went in to pick up some 764's and was told they were replaced with the 104 I believe? Not sure if thats the right number but it was a direct replacement. Might be worth investigating.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:38pm
From the Mustang forums...

"not sure about regular GT40's... but I've always been told on GT40P's to use 104's (1 range colder) and 103's (2 ranges colder).."
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 6:48pm
thats what skidim calls for the ho engine...I think everyone here is using the #764 on the p heads also...but I can be wrong....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 8:11pm
Meeze curious if a spark plug wire might have gotten melted by the super-hot manifold condition you had going on before your fix.

Like as in, the insulation got melted and now it's grounding out.

Seems like it would be pretty darn tough to melt an actual spark plug?
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:21pm
I agree ...my plan is to change plugs and wires at the same time but don't know whick plug. I was able to reach CC in florida and they gave me a motorcraft number but the local napa store doesn't have them.

Anyway..if anyone knows an autolight or motorcraft number that would be sweet!

Btw..my 15 year old daughter took her first wipeout on a tube today. She loved it but my wife threw a FIT. !!!!!
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by PhiloM5 PhiloM5 wrote:

my 15 year old daughter took her first wipeout on a tube today. She loved it!

I'm confused, why was she on a tube?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:38pm
Opps...sorry kappa..didn't see your post. Im browsing from my phon... arrrrg.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 9:48pm
Opps...sorry kappa..didn't see your post. Im browsing from my phon... arrrrg.
97 Ski
97.3 hrs
PhiloM5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhiloM5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2011 at 11:25pm
Hi guys.., back from vacation and all went well. The engine started to run better as the days went by. How does that happen ?? Maybe I had some crap in the carb from the boat sitting for so long ?? Anyway.., the plan is to still replace the plugs and wires.

On the way up I-5 around Sacramento a guy in a car next to me was giving me all kinds of hand signals.., looked liked he was saying there was something on the trailer bouncing up and down. I checked the trailer and boat and all looked fine.

Once we got to Shasta I unloaded the boat and noticed the rear seat cushions not aligning.., strange.., so I figured the road vibration moved the seats and just pushed them back.

But when I got back from the trip I saw the seats had moved again as well as the seat back had moved upward about 2 inches. I thought.. "this is very odd". Then it hit me.., the engine tech didn't secure the rear seat sections properly after taking them apart to replace the exhaust pipe. DAM !!! This dealer really sucks !

Peter - she was in a tube that you pull behind the boat. At least that's what I call them. She's never ridden in one and after wiping out I thought she was going to freak out.., but she loved it ! Maybe next year I'll get her on skis :)

Anyway.., thanks again for all the help.

Philo.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic