NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration
    Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:10pm
Greetings to all. I am new and this will be my first post. I have lurked for some time and my son even longer. He has an older Nautique. My involvement came into play recently when he discovered this wooden boat for sale on your forum. As a retired woodworker with a passion for toys and time on my hands he thought it a good father and son project. The story goes on and on but, here we are and with a old CC under serious repair. There will be pictures to follow and many questions.

Thanks for running a great site.

Jack
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:13pm
Jack welcome to the site! We look forward to seeing the pictures. Use this thread to record your progress.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:17pm
Jack,
Sounds like from your screen name the boat you found is a "Junior". Fantastic and we'll be waiting for the pictures.

Those were typically double planked so do plan on a complete down to frame restoration. (I have a feeling it hasn't had one! ) do plan on doing a 5200 job. It's the only way to go!!!

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:25pm
Yes, thanks to all for the quick responses. I have not yet found ser# and may not as there has been some stringer work done previous. The motor ser# if original (got to go by something), indicated the year as 50. I suppose it could be 51. I am currently removing one stringer and trying to figure what to use for replacement. Looks like the more available may be white oak. We shall see. Pictures soon I promise.

Forgot to add it is a plywood hull.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:33pm
Jack,
Even though White Oak was used by many of the high end boat builders, in a Junior it's not needed plus it's too heavy. Back then CC used Mahogany for their stringers when they had the supply. It was available in large sizes and cheap. Then, they switched to using Doug Fir. That's a great alternate if you can find it in your area. The other big stringer material that was used by some was Sitka Spruce. ( my X55 Dunphy has Sitka) That stuff has gotten so expensive that Mahogany may be cheaper!!

What's up with the stringers? Is the hull in that bad of a shape??? Typically the main stringers of any wood boat that is so far gone, the stringers are still good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:56pm
The hull is in good shape other than the bow is a bit chowdered up. The stringers were patched at some point. Not sure if for of aft section was replaced however there is a joint under front cockpit area. I want to go all the way new. It has become hard to get good quality dfir anywhere and for the slight gain in weight I believe white oak may be the answer. I have a source as I worked in the business. I don't expect this boat to see seasonal immersion again. Probably occasional use.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:11pm
Jack,
We need the pictures!!

I have to warn you about the CC double plant process. The used a talc and linseed oil bedding compound between the inner and outer planking. I found it to be a 1/4" thick in spots to fill the gaps and I believe Alan on his Hurricane restoration found even thicker spots!! It has dried out through the years so, the hull needs to go down to the frames. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU ALL IT NEEDS IS SOAKING!!!! That is an old "wives tale" and a TRUE indicator you have a VERY bad bottom!! Sorry!!

Look for the the Doug Fir. Even if you need to bring it it, you'll be better off than goining with the White Oak.

Scabbed stringers at the bow end? never!! You will not believe what you find inside that hull. We affectionately refer to the "craftsman" out in the old wood shop at CC as using their "finishing Hatchets"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:29pm
Sorry, I don't know what the double plank process is. Mine is a plywood hull.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Sorry, I don't know what the double plank process is. Mine is a plywood hull.

OK, so you do not have a double plank Junior!! We sure need the pictures!!!

The talc linseed bedding compound was also used on ply hulls. A ply boat should NEVER EVER leak a drop!! The exception is via the prop shaft stuffing box.

Get those pictures going!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:08pm
Jack,
If in fact you do have a ply "junior", then its's a "standard" and not the double planked. CC had a tendency to "upgrade" many of their hulls into a deluxe version by simply adding a second layer of true mahogany planking over the top of one of their ply hulls.

As long as you have joined us, take a look through the reference section and all the old catalogs/brochures. It's a fantastic source of info.

BTW, I'm going to continue to "bug" you for pictures!!

One other thing is to NOT listen to other sites about bout building a wood boat. Talk here first and I'll walk you though it.

If you really want to get involved with wood boats, think about becoming an ACBS member. It's truly a great organization even though one of our CCfan members doesn't think the same way I do.(sorry Al!! [;))

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 11:38pm
Oh, Yes I do believe the ACBS Is truly a very wonderful group of fine people.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 12:00am
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:54am
Cool boat! Great project for sure. Pete has an unparalleled passion for these boats, doing them right, and keeping them original. He knows his stuff too and is very generous in helping others in their pursuit of restoration. You have truly found the best resource out there for your project. I look forward to watching.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:42am
Jack,
Thanks for the pictures. It sure looks like a non double planked Junior. No ID plate? It may be inside the dog house or on one of the port side hull frames.

I sure would not worry about replacing the stringers just because they don't run all the way forward. What I would worry about is as mentioned is that "bedding" compound CC used. There's a good chance that you will be able to unscrew the ply off the frames. The screws are the only thing holding it together with the dried out bedding. I highly recommend taking it down to the frame. If you simply do a cosmetic job on it, the seams will always open up and leak and as mentioned, a ply hull should NEVER leak. Taking it down to the frame will also allow you to take a real close look at areas where there may be rot. The lower transom frame is one as well as the inner keel.

What engine is in it? They came with several different Gray's, some Universal's and even a Chris B tagged as a Correct Craft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:12am
Jack,
One thing I can't express in words strong enough is the importance of doing everthing as close to original as possible. If not, it will not be a restoration and the boats value will be substantially lower if even existent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:40am
Pete. i almost have a guy talked into repowering his dads original 1964 CC (chris) that was left to him in pristine condition, all the original bills of sales, nice boat,
i told him "dont you want to go faster?" lol,
because of you, i told him not to touch it
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:41am
his wife pulled me aside and told me he is obsessed with this boat and he likes it more than her
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
One thing I can't express in words strong enough is the importance of doing everthing as close to original as possible. If not, it will not be a restoration and the boats value will be substantially lower if even existent.

Pete, I thank you for your knowledgeable advice. It is probable that I will follow much of it though at times may well go off on my own. As an experienced woodworker it would be my intention to replace any part removed and not serviceable with an exact replica. These old boats deserve nothing less. I may reserve the removal and re-installation of bottom panels for the next owner if needed. The boat is sound and after close inspection the frames would look to be fine. I intend to do the structural repairs topside and hope to flip the boat after and fair and refinish the bottom. May have a better determination as to the extent of that work at that time. Though gaining in value and appreciation the older Correct Craft plywood boats seem to fetch in the neighborhood of 10k max. This kind of return does not justify going overboard on the overhaul rather a clean and complete servicable hull will do the trick and get these beauties back on the water where they belong and not sitting on some display trailer at some show. Just my HO.

Thanks again for your sound advice and please keep it coming.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:38am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:55am
Jack,
With your last set of pictures, I now see where the stringers have been sistered!! I've seen some crazy stuff come out of the CC factory from back in the days. That may be original!!

If you find any loose bungs (wood filler on that hull) then the chances are very high that the screw below is loose as well as the ply on the frames.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 11:03am
Jack,
You haven't mentioned anything about the engine??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
You haven't mentioned anything about the engine??

The engine is a 4-75 Gray Marine. I took it out the other day and my son will take it to his garage where they will run it on a crate to check systems. Will follow up with pictures.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 5:33pm
In need of stringer material I just spoke with a specialty lumber supplier in my area. They have in stock two pieces of lumber 8/4 in white oak. Kiln dried. Cost, about $10 bd ft. or around $150.00 ea. out the door. I'm thinking that with the cost of fir and it's lack of availability this might be a good choice. Open to advice on the contrary or positive.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 6:45pm
That price seems super expensive to me. I am in NC and got 2 2x8x12' and 4 1x6x12' for $231 all D Fir. It took me a few days of calling around but eventually found a local guy that ordered it for me and I had it in hand in 3 days. Not a single knot in any of it, and the moisture content was right where it needed to be. I would keep shopping!

Some pics

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:30pm
I would highly advise against the use of white oak for stringers.   It's too heavy, it's unstable and too hard.
Leaving too much chance of screw breakage on re-assembly.
There are too many other really good choices.   One would be white cedar (commonly mistaken for sitka spruce).   Other good choices would be cypress, poplar and douglas fir, even mahogany.   Not saying it can't be done with white oak, It would be more time consuming.

In order to properly re-place the engine stringers you will have to peel off the bottom sheets of plywood.

I do agree with Pete on removing the transom and the sides.
Three most common places for un-seen rot - transom frames, inner chine and keel.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:35pm
That's one fine looking job you have done on the stringer replacement. Problem is on the woody the material needs to be thicker than the nominal dimension they sell the stock today. Should be closer to 1 3/4" so clean dfir framing will not suffice in my estimation. Thanks for your input DrCC. I did use similar stock on my son's tique last year and it worked just fine.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:44pm
And I agree with Keegan about shopping around.
Sometimes you can find certain woods that haven't sold very well in a particular area.
For example there is a lumber co. not too far from me that still has mahogany from years ago for only 6.00 board ft.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

And I agree with Keegan about shopping around.
Sometimes you can find certain woods that haven't sold very well in a particular area.
For example there is a lumber co. not too far from me that still has mahogany from years ago for only 6.00 board ft.

Keegan is right about shopping around and I thank him for that guidance. I have determined that the difference in weight per bd ft between oak and dfir. Oak weighs in at 4.2 lb bd ft and dfir weighs in at 2.6 per bd ft. We are not talking a lot of material here so is weight really a factor? Would love to find mahogany to do it in. Far as the fasteners breaking in 40 yrs of woodworking and cabinetmaking I've learned to deal with that. What kind of mahogany was that species?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Oh, Yes I do believe the ACBS Is truly a very wonderful group of fine people.

This still has me laughing! LOL

Oh, the good DrCC!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

That's one fine looking job you have done on the stringer replacement. Problem is on the woody the material needs to be thicker than the nominal dimension they sell the stock today. Should be closer to 1 3/4" so clean dfir framing will not suffice in my estimation. Thanks for your input DrCC. I did use similar stock on my son's tique last year and it worked just fine.

Jack,
I have to disagree. Where are you getting this information?

As mentioned previously, I feel the White Oak is way overkill plus you what to go to 1&3/4 dressed??? Have you compared the flex modulus of the rather poor quality Philippine Mahogany CC used for their frames to the White Oak? It's not even African!!!

Just as a comparison, did you price out one of the Mahogany species?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
  Share Topic