NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:37pm
It's not so much the weight of white oak that bothers me.
It's the un-stability over time.

It was a phone call inquiry on the mahogany, so I haven't seen it.   I asked for mahogany, the kid on the phone said: "Yep, we got some, it's been back there for awhile."

I've been waiting for things to quit carving into the wallet to go and buy all of it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Keegan is right about shopping around and I thank him for that guidance. I have determined that the difference in weight per bd ft between oak and dfir. Oak weighs in at 4.2 lb bd ft and dfir weighs in at 2.6 per bd ft. We are not talking a lot of material here so is weight really a factor? Would love to find mahogany to do it in. Far as the fasteners breaking in 40 yrs of woodworking and cabinetmaking I've learned to deal with that. What kind of mahogany was that species?

Jack,
Silicon bronze fastenings and no matter what type of lumber you put back in, I highly recommend a CPES treatment.

BTW, with only the Gray 4-75 engine, the extra weight may make a difference. CC had higher HP options. Still, a Junior with the 75 should move along at about 35 but you may have to throw you wife overboard to compensate for the White Oak's extra weight!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

It's not so much the weight of white oak that bothers me.
It's the un-stability over time.

I agree, I've seen some pretty weird shapes of White Oak frames come out of a hull!! To the point of pulling fasteners!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Oh, Yes I do believe the ACBS Is truly a very wonderful group of fine people.

This still has me laughing! LOL

Oh, the good DrCC!!!!

Steve,
Well, as a ACBS member, this puts me in a "tight spot" since I feel the comment was sarcastic?? If it was, I love you too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 8:57pm
Thanks to Pete and DRCC for the input. It sure helps in the decision making process. I will sure shop around for mahogany before I purchase anything. The original stringer measures 1 5/8' thickness and I think by the way it rests on the perches that is the optimum thickness. DrCC knows the rules about wimen on the boat. I do plan to CPES every part I put on this boat but it is important to note that oak weighs in very heavily on the rot resistant scale and that is a very important consideration as we note that all previous replacement has been from rot.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Oh, Yes I do believe the ACBS Is truly a very wonderful group of fine people.

This still has me laughing! LOL

Oh, the good DrCC!!!!

Steve,
Well, as a ACBS member, this puts me in a "tight spot" since I feel the comment was sarcastic?? If it was, I love you too!!

Pete,

First of all..... Love ya Man! What had me laughing was the link.... I don't think anyone looked at the hyperlink.... what a wild bunch of double speak! Wayyy too funny ......

BTW - I am easily distracted on this site..... I follow link after link after link..... sometimes it actually pays off!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:13pm

The original stringer measures 1 5/8' thickness and I think by the way it rests on the perches that is the optimum thickness.

That's only because CC' surface planer wasn't working that day!! seriously, you will find their workmanship to be very low and the reason I made the "finishing hatchet" comment!!

important to note that oak weighs in very heavily on the rot resistant scale and that is a very important consideration as we note that all previous replacement has been from rot.

Absolutely and the reason many of the premium boat builder used it but, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much since, you're doing the CPES. Also, I don't feel the Junior will be sitting in the water for extended periods of time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:17pm
I could have sworn I've heard someone say that
Sarcasm was the most flattering form of affection.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:22pm
You'll have to admit that thirty five bucks a year makes for a pretty expensive fifty cent newsletter.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:29pm
If anyone would have bothered getting out the tape measure they'd find all stringers were 1 5/8".
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:34pm

If anyone would have bothered getting out the tape measure they'd find all stringers were 1 5/8".

Now thats a helpful piece of information I couldn't get elsewhere. Thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:44pm

Wow, now I'll need to take the tape measure and see what the X55's and the Atom's stringer thickness is!! The X55 has Sitka Spruce and the Atom of course has the Mahogany.

Al,
BTW it's not a "newsletter" but a magazine and it's called the "Rudder".
When was the last time you took a look at it? I've been a member since 1979 and have always found it to be a wonderful group. Of course the local chapter does make a big difference. You must have a bunch of AH's down by you!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 9:44pm

Three most common places for un-seen rot - transom frames, inner chine and keel.

Thru bolt #1 on the gripe, this is a laminate of ply stripping to acheive the sten to keel transition.I still have a small leak on the Starflite at that bolt, go figure. Poor choice for durabilty ? I have four that lasted 60 years,but cheap to build and quick to plank, send her out..........
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Three most common places for un-seen rot - transom frames, inner chine and keel.

Thru bolt #1 on the gripe, this is a laminate of ply stripping to acheive the sten to keel transition.I still have a small leak on the Starflite at that bolt, go figure. Poor choice for durabilty ? I have four that lasted 60 years,but cheap to build and quick to plank, send her out..........

Billy,
You are correct as far as this being a problem area and I did forget to mention it. It's the low spot of almost evey older wood hull. It's more of a problem with double planked hulls. The water sitting/trapped between the two layers seems to contribute to rot at that point. Yes, CC went real cheap (as well a other areas) on the stem and used ply to laminate up the curvature of the stem. Then, tried to mate it with the inner and outer keel with layering the lamination's. The ply lamination with only their bedding compound to seal it quickly sucked up the water. BTW, what I found is they even used short lengths of scraps to laminate their stems!! Plus junk ply and NAILS!!!!!

Every time a topic like this comes up and we talk about the old "hackers" out there in the CC shop comes up, I shutter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 10:30pm
The "Rudder" was probably the number one choice for the magazine title.   Had they selected "The Shaft" well....
that would have been way too obvious.

How far off is my 35.00 per year guess?

All kidding aside, I just don't feel my '74 is classic enough for me to give them my gas money.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 12:27am
DRCC, Gotta disagree with your reasoning on the cost of membership.The magazine is first class, the best friends money can buy at any show.We are members of a chapter 550 miles from us, the chapter closest to us just did not "FIT". We kept our membership in ACBS and found a chapter better suited to our needs" Sunnyland Chapter" in cental Florida was the home we were looking for.
You sure are missing a lot, IMHO.....35.00 wont give me an afternoon ride....
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Billy,
You are correct as far as this being a problem area and I did forget to mention it. It's the low spot of almost evey older wood hull. It's more of a problem with double planked hulls. The water sitting/trapped between the two layers seems to contribute to rot at that point. Yes, CC went real cheap (as well a other areas) on the stem and used ply to laminate up the curvature of the stem. Then, tried to mate it with the inner and outer keel with layering the lamination's. The ply lamination with only their bedding compound to seal it quickly sucked up the water. BTW, what I found is they even used short lengths of scraps to laminate their stems!! Plus junk ply and NAILS!!!!!

Every time a topic like this comes up and we talk about the old "hackers" out there in the CC shop comes up, I shutter!!

Interesting and insightful observations here. I think I have just the stem described by Pete and perhaps a leak to be determined where the stem meets the keel as Billy points out. I will need to rebuild the stem from the inside out. This is the next job after the stringers and before flipping the hull and tending to the bottom needs. I will be looking for backyard methods of rolling the boat at that time.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:06am
come on guys the stems aren't that bad.

Billy is you stem actually plywood? Mine was at least mahagony.

If the stem in that boat is suspect you will never get it repaired without pulling it apart, it is a lot of work but woth it when it comes out solid as a rock

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:26am
Absolutely.   Re-building a bow stem from the inside would be one neat trick I've never seen before.

In fact this would be one area where I would re-build the bow stem with one piece of over dimension stock like a Chris Craft.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:30am
Well actually the entire stem would be two piece with one "S" joint.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:02am

Pete,
First of all..... Love ya Man! What had me laughing was the link.... I don't think anyone looked at the hyperlink.... what a wild bunch of double speak! Wayyy too funny ......

Steve,
I never went to Al's "ACBS" link!! I did now!! Thank's for clearing it up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:11am
Al, that link was a riot. The ACBS does a great job of putting on shows. From what I've seen around here their members aren't into Correct Crafts. There's definitely way more knowledge and interest on CCF.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:59am

In fact this would be one area where I would re-build the bow stem with one piece of over dimension stock like a Chris Craft.

Yes a traditional stem and gripe would make things easier than building a laminated one like I did. No jig to build, no steaming, no glue up. That was a quite a time consuming process.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Yes a traditional stem and gripe would make things easier than building a laminated one like I did. No jig to build, no steaming, no glue up. That was a quite a time consuming process.

You did a fine piece of work on the stem rebuild. Did you put all new hull material on also? I was trying to stay away from that but do have some marine ply if needed. Thought about making the stem from solid material and in a few pieces. The modern glues are more friendly than resourcinol and perhaps with a strategic reassembly and reglueing in place I may be able to get the repair accomplished. Remains to be seen. I have made many a chair with steam bending and the process though time consuming can be rewarding as is apparent in your stem rebuild.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:21pm
Pictures of the Gray that came in her. I have no reason not to think it's original.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

You did a fine piece of work on the stem rebuild. Did you put all new hull material on also? I was trying to stay away from that but do have some marine ply if needed. Thought about making the stem from solid material and in a few pieces. The modern glues are more friendly than resourcinol and perhaps with a strategic reassembly and reglueing in place I may be able to get the repair accomplished. Remains to be seen. I have made many a chair with steam bending and the process though time consuming can be rewarding as is apparent in your stem rebuild.

Yes my project has new bottom and topside planking as I had several frame repairs to make. You'd have to refasten the hull side & bottom plywood to the new stem anyway so might as well just remove the fasteners and let the ply move away from the stem a few inches so you can get good access. It is done all the time without complete removal and you'll know exactly what you've got for a structure, might find some rot in the chines at the stem that need addressing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:56pm
I suspect this repair is best done with the boat upside down so that will be the next challenge as soon as the new stringers are in place. Best way to flip a boat in the garage or driveway is what I'll be looking for. Then the fun begins. I do have some heavy duty dollies to keep under the boar longer term.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:18pm
Jack,
That hull isn't that heavy. If you have the manpower, you can roll it over on a few old tires and movers blankets. Just screw some temporary bracing between the gunnels. I'd "X" brace low to high on a couple of frames.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 5:10pm
This is obviously not a correct craft but shows you can open them up with out complete removal of the sides. Gives you much better acces for repairs.

courtesy of Halls boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 7:45pm
Jack,
What are you planning on doing with the chewed up ply hull sides where it meets the stem. Hopefully you're not just planning on covering it up with a cutwater - That Junior never came with one and that wouldn't be very original!! I suggest seeing how far you would need to cut the ply back and then rebuild the stem (and deck) accordingly. No one is going to get a tape measure out to see if the hull is 3/4" shorter than it should be (CC never got them that close anyway! ) plus you do not want to get into scarfing new ply together for the hull sides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
  Share Topic