NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 bogs/lacks top end speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:57pm
The weather is not favorable for a ski today but I will run her first chance I get. I will pay attention to my RPM plus carry my GPS to see exactly where I stand.

This whole boat deal has been crazy. I'm 41 and I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to going for a ride/ski. For you guys with more ownership time under your belt, does that ever change?
I Love to ski, but what I Love more is watching my children learn to Love it too.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 4:59pm
No.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 5:05pm
Nope, I always get excited too. I've recently converted some friends and relatives to slalom/wakeboard nuts and that keeps the fun going too.
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 5:53pm
I didn't suspect it would. So its actually better than candy, cause after you lick the red off its not as good. Ha
I Love to ski, but what I Love more is watching my children learn to Love it too.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I'm thinking you have a fuel pressure problem. The pressure should stay constant from idle to WOT.
I think it could be two things
1) HP pump going bad. (not maintaining pressure)
2) Fuel regulator stuck/gummed up, not fully closing. (Allows too much fuel to return to tank when accelerating. )
The fuel regulator opens with vacuum to allow the extra fuel not needed at idle and low rpm to return to the tank. As you throttle up the vacuum decreases and the regulator valve closes more, routing more fuel to the rails to maintain the 39+/- 3 psi

Since the fuel pressure starts at 40 then is fading with out the engine running I don't think its a vacuum problem.

The HP pump was the first of the two original problems I felt it could be.
As for RPM's you should be able to get 5,200 and around 47-48 mph with the right prop. I have the 1442 on mine.
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 12:26am
Walter,
Seems my problem was my high pressure fuel pump. I say that carefully because I haven't been out for a good 2 hour ski yet. The initial ride was smooth but I wont know for sure till maybe Thursday when I go looking for slick water.

What exactly is your boat doing?
Fly100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2011 at 9:52am
Did a test on mine tonight SN 1996 196 351W. 39 mph @ 4100 rpm it has the Protec conversion dizzy and coil on it.I run LPG and the LPG carb is a very very basic unit.Also I think LPG gives 10% less power (its 60% the cost of petrol here)
With all the above in mind I think im not far off the mark.

Comments ??

FLY
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2011 at 11:11pm
Hey Guys,
It has been a while since I have updated the thread. Since replacing my HPFP the boat has ran so much better! I wish I could say there have been 0 surging issues but I can't. It has been very minimal though.... only a couple of times. I have been skiing trying to make up for lost time,so all is well.

Fly100, this is what I'm getting out my 1995 SN with the GT40 EFI: 45 mph @ 4800 rpm. Im running a broke mans 3 blade prop LOL.

I'm all smiles because we able to play in slick water.
Fly100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 6:19am
Originally posted by scooter t scooter t wrote:

Hey Guys,
It has been a while since I have updated the thread. Since replacing my HPFP the boat has ran so much better! I wish I could say there have been 0 surging issues but I can't. It has been very minimal though.... only a couple of times. I have been skiing trying to make up for lost time,so all is well.

Fly100, this is what I'm getting out my 1995 SN with the GT40 EFI: 45 mph @ 4800 rpm. Im running a broke mans 3 blade prop LOL.

I'm all smiles because we able to play in slick water.

Scooter T my 4100rpm is WOT and wont rev anymore.thats full tilt including the mirror folded in! :-)
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 3:22pm
Hey CCF,

I am still dealing with the same surging issue that I've had for the past 3 summers with no resolve. Thought I would seek your advice again. Fuel pressure @ idle: ~37psi
Fuel pressure w/regulator disconnected @ idle: ~41psi
Fuel pressure @ WOT: ~39psi
Fuel Pressure w/regulator disconnected @ WOT: ~41psi

Motor would surge when under a load (typically between 35-40mph)
Fuel pressure remained consistent during surges

Motor continued to surge irregardless of whether or not the regulator was connected

Schrader valve on the fuel line gave us some issues. It was loose so we tightened it. However, once it was tightened the valve stayed partially open and leaked fuel. We loosened it and this stopped the leak.

Checked resistance in the TPS w/multi-meter. Needle made a clean sweep from idle to WOT.

Note that one of the plug wires arced on my hand. Wires are supposedly only a couple of years old according to PO. They are marine grade 8mm wires.

Not sure where to go from here. When we're at a cruising speed between 35 and 40 (it does surge at slower speeds but it's more noticeable here) the boat feels like it has lost most of its power for maybe half a second and then regains power. It is a very sharp, noticeable contrast. The motor doesn't sputter or sound like it's missing, it just sounds like the key has been switched off and the motor naturally reduces rpms but then instantly regains all power. Sounds like it would either be fuel or ignition related. Is it possible to have fuel problems but still maintain high pressures during the surging?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by scooter t scooter t wrote:

Note that one of the plug wires arced on my hand. Wires are supposedly only a couple of years old according to PO. They are marine grade 8mm wires.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Very possible that a wire or wires is bad right out of the box.

I'd check the Distributor cap too.

Need to cross the simple things off the list. Basic tuneup items can cause problems.
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 3:45pm
The Distributor Cap looked ok. If I were to replace the wires, do they have to be marine grade or can I pick some up at the local part store? One thing we noticed is how the wires are bundled together and touching the block. There just wasn't a lot of slack there and I could see where if the wires were bad they might ground out on the motor. Is that normal for the wires to be tightly bundled and laying againt the block?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 4:23pm
I would go with the wires specified for your motor to be on the safe side. I think it's more the length (to get around the marine exhaust manifolds) that makes them marine more than anything.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK120015

These are a nice to have to help organize your wires and keep them from hitting stuff: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-9-28150/overview/

I wouldn't say that hitting the block is automatically a problem... but if the wire insulation were to chafe against something moving like a pulley or melt on something hot... well like the block, then yeah, it could be a problem. Although, I think some contact is normal and un-avoidable.
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 5:55pm
Thank you for the advice. Wires have been ordered and I will let you know if that is the fix.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 12:58am
Hi Shawn, Did you get a chance to try the new spark plug wires?
scooter t View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 1:47pm
Hey Brian - I did replace the plug wires back on 7-19, and have been out 5 times since then and the boat has run perfect. I had to go at least 3 times before I felt for sure it was fixed. I appreciate your help.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 1:57pm
Nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic