NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I looked at another Mustang for sale.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I looked at another Mustang for sale.
    Posted: July-21-2011 at 3:33am
I finally recovered from my 620 mile round trip to Lake Minnetonka, MN, where I went 2 weeks ago to look at a 67 Mustang. It was complete and had the 260 interceptor engine, but the stringers were rotten and the engine had compresses the port one 1/2 inch under the front motor mount. Priced at $4,750 it was not right for me.
Yesterday I made the 520 mile round trip to West Bend WI to look at the one listed as a 1969 H/M in Milwaukee on this site. The owner, Travis, was a very polite and patient guy to speak to. The boat is fairly nice and has a minimum of chips and scratches. First off, the Mustang is a 70, not a 69, and has a flat top doghouse. The front seats have been replaced with Overtons type folding seats, but they are installed on the original brackets. The boat has Osco manifolds in place of the H/Ms, and the trailer has had the tongue extended. The bow has about a 3" hole on top of the snout?, that has been covered with heavy vinyl tape. I believe this is where the BAC light was originally mounted. It is now right on the tip of the bow. Being that the boat is 41 years old it has a laundry list of things that I would like to do to make it pristine.
That being said, I almost came home with it. If I were to take off all of the fittings, wet same with 1500, buff, wax, and polish the fittings I think it would be a serious head turner. Some parts, like the windshield hardware, could use replating for a purest, but they are all there and would look pretty good with some elbowgrease. It is it is nice for its age. Other than the seats and manifolds it is pretty much all there. The hour meter indicated 1652, which seems low by my standards. I don't know if it works though. I was ready to buy it when I took off the flame arrestor and found it did not have J tube vents. To me that indicated that it had been replaced with anautomotive carb. I may have been mistaken. The carb is an Autolite C8AF-AE. It may have been original. Although I did not see it run since I lost interest thinking I would have to replace the carbs with a Holly marine 450 for $520 that may not be the case. I obviously didn't core sample the stringers, but I couldn't see any damage. E.ventually every boat needs to be restrung.
The bottom line is I may regret walking away from this one at the asking price of $4.500. On the way home I called on the mustard color Mustang listed in Orlando, it is sold. I may have a line on a 69 M/M Mustang that has been sitting outside with a bad cover job and a cracked block for years. When I recover from my last road trip I will try to arrange a viewing. It could be interesting if just for parts. If you're looking for a Mustang the Milwaukee boat may be worth looking at. I am a CC novice and may have overlooked its real value.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 3:48am
John, I live in Minnetonka and would have been glad to host your visit. good luck on your search. You will know when the right one comes along.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:44am
I just looked at a 73 last Tuesday. Price was right and boat is in running condition but it has a laundry list of stuff that needs to be redone. An older non boating guy had painted it up with car paint made it his get around hot rod crusin boat and had made very many non stock mods (seat / floor / engine / trailer). With that much distruction already done I might could continue the (not original theme) and not be a dissapoint to the pureist.     
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 11:38am
Based on your description and the $4500 price tag, you did the right thing by walking on that one, so don't fret making a bad decision. If you are patient you will find a much better boat for that price. Keep hunting.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 12:13pm
I agree with Larry- theres a reason that boat hasnt sold in the past 12 months its been listed for sale. Its a $3k boat all day long (max), in my eyes.

As far as that hole in the bow goes, if its in front of the lifting ring, there should have been a chrome scoop covering it- thats a trademark of the '69-70 Stangs:

If Im not mistaken, that '70 was also missing the original pylon. Between that, the seats and manifolds, those are some pretty difficult parts to source if you wanted to bring it back to original condition. Keep looking!

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:00pm
John:

I have looked at the Mustang in Reidsville (Eden) NC. I could give you info on that if it was part of your search. The owner is a VERY nice fella and I helped him understand what he has but there are serious floor/stringer/seat concerns........ but I have info and pics if you want to go through....

Steve
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:01pm
I want one just like the one in the photo above. It is beautiful! I guess I should slow down, good things take time. I prefer the style of the 60s doghouse, however the flat top is very practical. My wife and I have pretty much decided that we want one that has no real issues, original gel coat, seats and all the parts intact with good stringers, either original or restrung, and, if possible, the fiberglass floor. We are not that picky about the engine, although a H/M would be nice. Maybe I should attend a reunion and look at some of the boats there. Thank you to everyone for the advice.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:30pm
They are out there. It's even green like the one above.

70 mustang
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:44pm
I spent $1000 on my mustang and it had all the original parts minus the front seats, and steering wheel. It needed a floor and stringer job but they all do at that age. If I were to spend $4,500 on an old Mustang, it would need to be pretty good shape. You'll spend at least $2,000 on stringers.

What's the trim piece in this photo between the scoop and lift ring? Is that a flag pole insert? I have a retractable radio antenna there in mine from the P.O. Wondering what to put there once I remove it.

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 4:52pm
Tim, when you going to make some of those buckets? I just realized how little room I have in mine after putting the crappy aftermarket seats back in. Looks like the originals sure free up some space.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:20pm
Larry, that green boat outside of Boston is in significantly worse shape than the white one in WI. Lots of missing original parts and marginal overall condition. Its been listed for sale for 2 years at least- Ive corresponded with the seller a few times and he's not very reasonable.

Vondy, yes, that hole is for the burgee/flag pole. Youre right that the original buckets free up a ton of space- theyre very low profile. It makes moving around my Skier much easier compared to the Stangs with the original wood framed seats. Popping a few out of the mold will be a winter project for sure. I am guessing they wont be cheap to produce, though- so I dont expect to do it on a very large scale.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Larry, that green boat outside of Boston is in significantly worse shape than the white one in WI.

Well that's a shame. Looked nice in the picture, but then, they usually do. I hesitated posting figuring if it was any good, you probably would have grabbed it, knowing your quest for an olive boat (did you ever get that olive skier home)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:31pm
Cindy, is that your Mustang in the photo? Are you tired of it yet?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:31pm
Vondy, is that your Mustang in the photo? Are you tired of it yet?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:32pm
Like I said before, put me on the list and tell me how much.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Larry, that green boat outside of Boston is in significantly worse shape than the white one in WI.

Well that's a shame. Looked nice in the picture, but then, they usually do. I hesitated posting figuring if it was any good, you probably would have grabbed it, knowing your quest for an olive boat (did you ever get that olive skier home)

Ha, Ive got a few pictures that are much less flattering if you want to see them. Missing the step pads, H-M manifolds, bucket seats, added platform, lots of oxidation.

Im trying to coerce Mr. Mars into coming to the NE reunion and dragging that Skier back with him! Im hoping that boat will be a quick project that ends up in the hands of one of my buddies. I do love olive green, but the boat Im really on the lookout for is a '68 dark blue Mustang.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 5:54pm

Here you go Tim
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

What's the trim piece in this photo between the scoop and lift ring? Is that a flag pole insert? I have a retractable radio antenna there in mine from the P.O. Wondering what to put there once I remove it.

Link for bow staff socket.It's listed as a stern one because of the angle I think. Just hope that the PO didnt make the hole bigger.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:27pm
Gary, is yours angled? I really didnt think my sister's was. Hers actually came with that tough-to-find metal staff and the original pennant/burgee.

Tom, nice looking car- but it wouldnt float so good! Something like this would look pretty cool being towed behind it though:

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:36pm
I knew you meant boat. I was just being a wisea$$. As far as the pics you posted.Amazing what you find out in the boonies, if you keep your eyes open.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:45pm
Yes it is angled Tim. Please post a picture of her burgee. I think since mine is angled, the burgee should be too? That dark blue must be one of the hardest colors to find,this one must be painted since the doghouse matches.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:48pm
This must be the one your looking for-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 6:55pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 7:00pm
Ha, I know Tom!

Gary, thats close, but I think its a '69 with those buckets, bow light, etc. I also want the glass motorbox. Interceptor powered please! Reid's new '69 is the closest Ive seen to what Im looking for. One of these days Ill stumble across one!

Bruce, thats the same flag my sister has. Going by memory, I thought the whole thing was angled, save for the base, which enters the deck vertically. I could be wrong though. Maybe Marty will post a picture of that rare staff.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 7:08pm
Reid's new Mustang is sharp. Told me it was his new favorite. Be kind a hard to choose a favorite out of all his boats.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 8:03pm
Is this the one you guy's are talking about? Any other pictures? What bow light am I supposed to have?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 8:14pm
Gary, thats the boat.

I believe your bow light is correct- you have the same as Rodney's olive oil (above), right? Reid's "Royal Flush" seems to be a mix between '68 and '69, as it has the older wood framed seats and bow light, but the newer dash and scoop on the nose.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 8:17pm
Yes I do Tim.I should pay more attention when I'm parked next to him Must have been the heat,yea thats it!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tricki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tricki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 8:46pm
have absolutely no affiliation / nor have i seen either boat, but i just completed a search and purchase of a 1986 and remember seeing these. noticed you're in illinios, these are in norther indiana . . . just passing them along

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/2505707819.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/2492735222.html

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/2434034747.html

good luck

rich
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2011 at 9:03pm
Reid had that Blue Boat Buffed out and it came out GREAT!!!!! Looks like a completely different boat.

Donald
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic