Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Excalibur 330 in a Barefoot nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Excalibur 330 in a Barefoot nautique
    Posted: June-17-2011 at 3:13pm
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about a PCM Excalibur 330,i want it to put in a BFN.

-where do i find/ get a service manual?
-What kind of Gauges can i use analog or digital?
-what kind of wiring harness do i need from the engine to the dash?
-and wich prop do i need?

The engine is a PCM 330 Excalibur from 2003 with a pcm 1.23 trans. The wiring harness connection on the engine looks the same as mercruiser (10 pin). I want to to use the original gauges of the barefoot nautique from VDO.

All advise welcome!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:13pm
I know it's possible from talking to SKIDIM about it, supposedly not terribly difficult. I would talk to Jody at Florida inboards, he does a fair amount of motor swaps.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:27pm
There's a guy on this site that put an Excalibur 330 in an 80s ski nautique as part of his complete rebuild. I'd imagine some of the principles are the same.

On ski dim they have that 305 Chevy Prosport repower package they market with the powerplus trans as a way to repower old Ford boats. They mention something about a square to round adapter for the wiring harness. Sounds to simple to be true but maybe it is.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 4:43pm
yup his name is akabulla ..it was actually fitted to an 82..but I think he used all the gauges from the boat the Ex330 came from...
He sold the boat then..Not sure if he still hangs around here though...

edit: his last visit was yesterday..so If he sees this post probably he will hace some info...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 5:56pm
i,ve read the topic from akabulla, but there is not much info about the gauges and the wiring harness he used. I think that i can use normal analog gauges but i,m not sure.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:40pm
Hi,
No Brainer to put the Excalibur in the boat. In fact it will with the right harness adapter plug right in to your current hull harness. about the only thing I can think o that might present a bit o engineering is that if the boat had a BBC that you may need to relocate your motor mount landings to accept the small block. We have done a number of re-powers in older 80's Nautiques with modern e-controlled PCM motors.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 6:31pm
thanks everybody for the information, It is very nice that i can use the current hull harness and gauges! The current engine is a ford 351 and not a 454.

Anybody knows where i can find a service manual for the excalibur?
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 10:29am

Here is a picture of the boat and the engine witch i want to put in. i,m currently rebuilding the engine. I,m still looking for a manual. and does anyone knows where a i can buy diagnostic cable for reading the the engine parameters?
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:50pm
Here a picture of the engine
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:00pm
Looks like ski dim has Vortec manuals, and separate MEFI manuals, as well as something they call a "Winky Blinky" for diagnosing codes. Maybe Jody, or PCM corporate could point you in the direction of an Excal specific manual:
skidim manuals

PCM Owners Manuals
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:10pm

nice wakeboardboat!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:16pm
Nice looking boat! Thats an interesting motorbox cover- any idea where it came from? Ive never seen one like it.

Like Jody said, the motor mounts (SBC vs. SBF) may be a challenge... but I believe they make special mounts that allow you to put a Chevy where a Ford once was.

With a true 330hp and the lighter weight of the small block, that boat should perform nicely with that engine.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:35pm
The motorbox is original for the 351. they only lift it a bit to fit the propane mixing intake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:49pm
Maybe its the angle of the picture... but the box looks different to me.

Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:50pm
here is an other picture of the motorbox (and the sundeck witch want to make)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:52pm
Ahh, thats a better shot- now I see those curves in the front of the box. It still looks pretty flat on top though... strange.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:55pm
I,m almost sure that it is the original one but it is not the same as the others
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 8:29pm
definitely rare
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 9:35pm
Ben Their just is not an Diagnostic system cable available unless you are a certified dealer of the product that you are servicing to acquire a diagnostic system from Rinda technology's.
Excalibur motors from 2002-2005 ran MEFI-4, with the DBW in 2006 they ran MEFI-4B. 2007 to current run E-control engine management. Their really are not a whole lot of things that can go wrong on these motors that a talented tech cant figure out with a multi meter. I have gotten spoiled with the Diacom system but still keep my multi meter handy in a pinch.
I have generalized service manual for these motors that can be copied at kinkos if you want to pay for the copy and shipping.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:44am
Ben,
how do you open the motorbox with the sundeck in place?
are you gping to put ballast bellow it?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:50am
no kap he is going to put ballast up top on the sundeck.......2-20 year olds, he wont need to look at the motor
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 10:08am
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 6:43pm
yes that would be my first option
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Ben Their just is not an Diagnostic system cable available unless you are a certified dealer of the product that you are servicing to acquire a diagnostic system from Rinda technology's.
Excalibur motors from 2002-2005 ran MEFI-4, with the DBW in 2006 they ran MEFI-4B. 2007 to current run E-control engine management. Their really are not a whole lot of things that can go wrong on these motors that a talented tech cant figure out with a multi meter. I have gotten spoiled with the Diacom system but still keep my multi meter handy in a pinch.
I have generalized service manual for these motors that can be copied at kinkos if you want to pay for the copy and shipping.

At the moment i,m rebuilding the engine and i know that timing of the engine is cam retarded and can't be adjusted as usual. A diagnostic system would be very helpful to adjust this.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 7:26pm
Witch would be the best prop to start with 12.5 X 15 ?
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 7:38pm

here are some pictures of my other project, i,m planning to put in the 351 engine witch is currently in the barefoot nautique, or maybe is first try the excalibur
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Ben#155 Ben#155 wrote:

Witch would be the best prop to start with 12.5 X 15 ?

Do you have one on hand already, or are you buying new?

What are you going to use the boat for?
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 7:59pm
I will use it for wakeboarding mostly, but i don,t want to ballast it continuously. I have some props but not for the 1.23 transmission.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 8:31pm
The 330 might have good top end, but it doesn't pull out of the hole like a GT40.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2011 at 8:41pm
That is a true statement, but the 1.23 trans should still give the powertrain an advantage over the original Ford with the 1:1.

I would beg, borrow or steal a prop to avoid buying one before running the boat. Trying to prop an unknown powertrain/hull combination correctly right out of the box will be tough, especially when you throw in the ballast. My guess is that a 422 or similar (12.5x15.5) would be a good starting point, if you had a choice- but anything in the 13x15 or 13x16 range would work for starters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic