NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Excalibur 330 in a Barefoot nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Read my thread UK's 78 SN all the sizes you need to work with when changing to Chevy/1.23 combo may help on the BFN,the Key will be if the log angle is the same as a SN....

Moving the pylon/engine forward will make the engine sit high and a pain to do alignment and may find you have dog house issues.

The shaft angle will be a little different on the BFN, but the concept will be the same.

Moving the powertrain forward 3" will also affect the way the boat handles.

Steady Eddie has a few Python-powered BFN's with 1.23:1 transmissions, so I dont see why you wouldnt be able to fit a SBC+1.23 in yours without much issue.

So long as you can get the packing nut off far enough to change the packing out, Id say you have enough room. See if you can use a 3" shorter shaft.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2012 at 8:40pm
I will try to drop it in first, and see how the shaft coupler height is compared to the engine height, and than i will measure the distance at the front.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 5:53pm

Here some pictures! Yesterday i put the engine in the boat!
And there is more space than a tought ( like you guys told me)
This is mainly because the angle of the engine.
i can use my original shaft seal. Only the rawwater pump pulley is very close! but not a problem.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Ben#155 Ben#155 wrote:

Only the raw water pump pulley is very close!

So don't slam on the brakes.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 1:54pm
Little update. the boat is nearly ready for testing but i don't have much time to work on the boat. I found a used ACME 422 so i just have to finish the boat. I will give an update when i have it in the water!
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:05pm
I have some news

Today i tested the boat for the first time in the water!

I have done a couple of hours and everything went okay
The performance is very nice! The ACME 422 seems a nice prop for this combination very nice hole shot max rpm is 5000 TRB thanks for your advice!

the only thing i don't like is the temperature of the left cylinderhead
the temperature is about 95 degrees while the right cylinderhead is about 75 degrees i think the circulation of the coolant is oke.

here is a litle clip from today.

http://youtu.be/xUgdkLw_ELM
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:14pm
Wow! That sounds pretty nice.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:59pm
sounds good pegged the speedos, have you gps'd it? what was your top speed? wonder when its loaded and towing a footer how fast it will go???

nice setup
This is the life
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:07pm
i don't have a gps, but i think it is fast enough to pull a footer
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2012 at 10:12am
Yesterday i did another test. I have my doubs about the advantage of the
1.23 transmission. it has a good hole shot and acceleration is very smooth! The aceleration feels a bit like a stern-drive application.
But the speed at 2000 Rpm is far lower than with the direct drive transmission. At 2000 rpm the higher pitch prop does not compensate the reduction of the transmission because the slip of the prop. I also think that the fuel economy of the direct drive transmission is better. reverse is also very different!
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 8:31pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QP1dxcK47U

here an other clip of the BFN in action
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 8:41pm
says it's private?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 8:48pm
Oops, and now?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 10:45pm
Nice work.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 1:17pm
That thing looks like it screams. Maybe you've started a small block footer revolution !
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 7:09pm
Full throttle it sounds and feels really strong! And yes i,m not scared
for a BFN with a std 454.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 8:33pm
That things a good bit healthier than a stock 454. Gps it yet? I'll wager a guess at 53.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 7:41pm
I have no Gps, i will try an smartphone with 'Gps' i don't know if that will work. i dont think it will reach the 50. Last year i measured the speed of my ski nautique with an ipad and it was just 40 i guess this will do 45
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:37pm
Based on the revs youre pulling that 422, and what the wake looks like at wot, you're going a good bit faster than 45! I don't put a lot of stock in the gps smart phone apps... You may want to consider investing in a half way decent hand held gps. I use it to set my speedos in addition to measuring max speed- very handy.

This is what the wake on our '79 looks like at 42-43mph.

The spraying of the prop wash in front of the rooster tail doesn't happen until you're at or above 50. And you have plenty of it- that boat appears to run very strong.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 11:24pm
I like how at about 1:54 in the video, you think it's already maxed out and then it speeds up a whole other level.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 11:25pm
Glad to be the model on that one, Tim.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 4:34am
The phone gps depends on the phone and the software, the problem is they don't update rapidly so you may miss a few 10ths or may even a whole mph. It will get you in the ballpark though, even my Stargazer will move around about a half mph at the very limit on fast (slightly rough) water. I think it just the boat breaking free and then falling back in. Hard to get them to stay out for very long with the hook, but as rough as you can stand @ WOT seems to be the fatest. The water in that video looked like it should have been that way and a run in each direction will take the wind out of it.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Based on the revs youre pulling that 422, and what the wake looks like at wot, you're going a good bit faster than 45! I don't put a lot of stock in the gps smart phone apps... You may want to consider investing in a half way decent hand held gps. I use it to set my speedos in addition to measuring max speed- very handy.

This is what the wake on our '79 looks like at 42-43mph.

The spraying of the prop wash in front of the rooster tail doesn't happen until you're at or above 50. And you have plenty of it- that boat appears to run very strong.

Ok,i'm curious about the GPS speed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 3:26pm
A later direct drive BFN with the 454 is usually good for ~47mph. An earlier version (pre-87) will be a little faster (49-50). Yours looks and sounds a good bit faster than both.

The Garmin eTrex works well and can be found for <$100 here in the US (brand new).
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 4:09pm
GPS that bad dad. That wake gets awfully far back there when you crack the throttle wide open. I like how you can see how much it torques over when you give it that mid range punch in the video.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2012 at 4:25pm
Garmin GPS V has setting for big numbers and is easy to read and can be had for about $50 on ebay.

Put your interior back in...you need at least some weight in the boat or the wake won't appear the same. The real test is how fast it will pull a barefooter while at least 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 people are in the boat.
This is the life
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:18pm
Here we go!

today i tested the speed with an Iphone app and it is 47 mph @5100 rpm
i did a short run so maybe i can reach 48. this is the first prop i tried so i think with a bigger pitch prop you can reach the 50!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:48pm
Fisheye lens on the gopro makes the wake look narrow and out there, me thinks!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 6:52pm
5100 is right in the wheelhouse of that Excalibur, so no- I very much doubt it would speed up with a bigger prop. The speed vs rpm numbers are pretty much spot on with a tsc2 196 (45mph @ 5000rpm), which is weird- I would expect a bfn hull to have more than a 2mph advantage, and be closer to 1:1 (speed vs rpm). It should have a significantly faster hull and a few hundred lb weight advantage.

I'd get a more accurate speed measuring device if you really want to know what it's capable of.
Ben#155 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben#155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 7:29pm
For me it is ok so,i know that the floor is not to good so it can be that i have some wet foam. but would that make a difference? i will replace the floor next winter. I first will put the the ford 351 in my 72 skier.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic