Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EFI Conversion on a 76 PCM 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EFI Conversion on a 76 PCM 351W
    Posted: June-15-2011 at 4:34am
I have begu the conversion to fuel injection. I have a Projection III kit from Professional Products, have it mounted to the manifold now and it looks just like a holley carb. I had the oxygen sensor mount installed (pretty cool, seals out the water in the exhaust) I have to plumb a return line to the back to the tank and will be ready to fire it up. Its a total of 4 wires for the harnes and 2 wires to the external fuel pump. I keep you guys posted. I got tired of adjusting the carb at each lake I went to. Each lake being a big difference in elevation, I am at 5200 ft and some of the lakes I go to range from 1200 to 6500.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 10:12am
lets see some pics, you wouldnt happpen to work for professional products would you?
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2011 at 4:10pm
pics or it didn´t happen!!! lol..I´m curious into seeing how it performs...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:02am
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:04am
don't mind the rusted coil bracket and coil laying around its getting replaced soon.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 1:59am
Pretty cool idea, I think the problem with the Holley system is that these motors are at or above the HP levels that it will support. I don't see a thing on your site about anything being marine rated so, good luck with your testing, hope you don't blow yourself up.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:22am
The other efi/ tb efi systems from the marinizers don't appear any different than the automotive ones other than a flame arrestor.   Who knows?

As far as the sensor in the exhaust, it works that way?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 2:59am
the HP rating is up to 500 Hp with the fuel pressure set at 45 psi. You could increase the fuel presure and go beyond that. The base system i am using is far above the HP rating of a 351W.

The marine version which doesnt exist would consist of a marine spark arrester which I am using from my old carb. Its a Professional Products 70026 Powerjection, not a Holley Pro-Injection sorry I messed up the name in my earlier post.

The oxygen sensor mount is a neat design, you drill a larger hole in the outside wall, then a smaller one inside.

I will uploadsome pics
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 3:04am
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 7:48am
How much does the kit cost?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 8:38am
That sensor mount looks like they used a spud washer assembly off a urinal! No matter as long as it works.

Yes, keep us informed of how the project works out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2011 at 10:41am
Location of the o2 sensor is always an issue because any moisture and it's toast. I think you should be ok there but time will tell, please keep this thread going after you get it running and report back with results/issues.

I played around with making an adapter for an o2 sensor a while ago so I could hook up an air/fuel meter for engine tuning, that was a semi success because it worked for a while but I killed 2 sensors from moisture as the final sensor placement on my log manifolds was too close to the water entry. I don't think it takes much to ruin an 02 sensor.

This first picture is an adapter I made for PCM manifolds which I never installed but think it should work. The later is the one for my logs which again worked long enough for tuning but failed later. Both versions install between the manifold and elbow.

Good luck with your project, sounds like fun.
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 2:43am
Started up, idled a bit ruff for about 10 seconds, then the self tuning kicked in and idled perfect, revd it a couple of times and sounded it great, took it to the lake, started first try, idled perfect like it wasnt even cold, took off hard from a full stop several times to get it to finish tuning its self and then went full throttle, hit 44 mph at 4000 RPM, It has never been that fast, never got past 38 before. VERY happy, should continue to tune itself and get better. Will keep you guys posted.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:21am
How's it working out?
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2011 at 2:08pm
Yes, I am interested in how things are running also. I have a '86 Martinique, that I am selling, but I may keep and do a conversion.

How long did the conversion take, any "gotcha's"?
Would you recommend?

-dave
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:57am
I couldnt be more happy, took about 5 hours to install, time was spent plumbing the return line. I would have replaced my fuel gauge sender with one that was plumbed for a return already so I didn't have to drill a hole in my tank. A alot of the time was also spent running a whole new fuel supply just because I had so much braided line.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 3:30am
Cool, I've been hoping you would be back with good news. How much did it improve your fuel consumption?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 1:53pm
Yeah, definitely keep us posted. I looked on their site and there are returnless versions too.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2011 at 4:23pm
Sounds good. I have done some research on it, and they now offer a "PowerJection III" unit which no longer requires a return line to the tank, and the electronics are completely on the throttle body itself.

Sounds like a real nifty kit, I will wait and see if I don't sell my Martinique, it would be a great candidate.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 2:26pm
Price? If you don't mind.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 2:41pm
I haven't done much searching, but looks like about $1800 plus whatever they charge for the exhaust plug. That was the company website so maybe some others have it cheaper. A little more than the Holley system, but nobody seems to be anle to make that one work.   Looks like they also might have the pieces to make a multiport system, but I haven't found a complete kit for that.   If this is as easy as it sounds, might make my winter project todo list.
dwp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 2:10pm
Yes, $2000 when all said and done, I'm sure.
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 5:43pm
That is a sweet O2 adapter! Do they sell it alone? 81nautique's are slick too.

I've run a Megasquirt TBI system on my 1975 351w for about 18 months. However, it runs open loop only (so you have to dial it in a little more precisely). I'd love to let it autotune with O2 feedback.

My system cost me a total of about 600$ (and a pretty steep learning curve). It was definitely not a drop-in "kit".

All fuel lines, connectors and wiring are marine. The throttle body -- from a GM truck -- temp sensors, fuel pump, computer (w/ map sensor) and home-made relay board are not.     
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

That is a sweet O2 adapter! Do they sell it alone? 81nautique's are slick too.

I've run a Megasquirt TBI system on my 1975 351w for about 18 months. However, it runs open loop only (so you have to dial it in a little more precisely). I'd love to let it autotune with O2 feedback.

My system cost me a total of about 600$ (and a pretty steep learning curve). It was definitely not a drop-in "kit".

All fuel lines, connectors and wiring are marine. The throttle body -- from a GM truck -- temp sensors, fuel pump, computer (w/ map sensor) and home-made relay board are not.     

pictures of that setup are welcome!!!

How is it runing performance wise? how you fuel consumption?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 1:21am
You know, most efi parts on efi boats from the factory don't have specific marine ratings and are simply automotive items.

Post up. I' m interested.
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2011 at 2:37pm
The mount was purchased from Howell Engine Developments at http://howellefi.com/ . I didn't establish a base line for fuel consumption, wasn't really paying attention to it, my problems were rooted in going to a different elevation lake each time and never having the carb adjusted right for any of them. I really like the easy of the tuning, just tell it what displacement it was, start it up idled ruff for about ten seconds and it smoothed out and then run it around on the lake and it self tuned. the returnless system was my first choice but was back orderd for 4 months so I changed to order to the return style when I found out the return computer controll part of the kit was what was holding it up and they could ship the next day if I go tthe return style and it was $300 cheaper. I got it for $1600 but that was ordered before the price change.
tedwarde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedwarde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:32pm
On your Powerjection install, did you use their fuel pump or did you use a USCG approved marine fuel pump instead? If you used theirs, any problems with the fact that it was not a marine unit? I've heard that automotive pumps do not perform well in boats.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by tedwarde tedwarde wrote:

On your Powerjection install, did you use their fuel pump or did you use a USCG approved marine fuel pump instead? If you used theirs, any problems with the fact that it was not a marine unit? I've heard that automotive pumps do not perform well in boats.

A VERY excellent point!!! Why "upgrade" if it's not marine rated??? So, you create a bomb under the dog house?? Real nice!!!!

Not given,
Please fill us in before you potentially misdirect someone else.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
28_OFF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28_OFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2011 at 3:06am
From my experience the issues with the automotive mechanical fuel pumps are the problem with the weep hole and single diaphram. Instead of the dual diaphram and overflow tube running to the carb on the Marine. This is fuel injected so a return line sends the excess fuel back and all you have to worryabout is the electrical connections being sealed to prevent a spark. As for the possibility of corrosion this is always related to salt water and I have no intention of taking my 18 foot comp ski boat in the ocean.

In the end I went with a marine efi fuel pump just so I didn't get yelled at.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2011 at 11:57am
QUOTE]
A VERY excellent point!!! Why "upgrade" if it's not marine rated??? So, you create a bomb under the dog house?? Real nice!!!!
Not given,
Please fill us in before you potentially misdirect someone else.[/QUOTE]

As said before...
Gee Ward aren’t you being a little rough on the beav'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic