NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop removal questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop removal questions...
    Posted: May-23-2011 at 1:25pm
Hey all,

Sorry I couldn't find the thread on this, I suck at searching so if you have the link let me know. I thought there was one started.

Anyways...tried removing the stock OJ off our sport but it's on there pretty good, as I was afraid.

Anyone have awesome methods for removing a stuck on prop? Little guy just doesn't wanna let go!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 1:52pm
You tried with a puller? or hammer it?
Mine was there pretty stauck also...wouldn´t budge using a home made C puller....had a mechanic to remove it...
Follow my soup again thread..there´s some advice on different pullers...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 1:55pm
Thanks Kap...We have a puller but couldn't budge it.

I will check the thread, we have a puller with the 4 long bolts connect to a C looking thing that goes on the back side of prop, then one bold in the middle on the front side to tighten and pull the prop off. I'm sure it's talked about, but I'll check. Thanks again
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 2:01pm
might try heating the prop with a torch...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 2:40pm
Put the puller on and let it sit, it's not a NASCAR pit stop.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 2:45pm
That will really work?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 6:38pm
Mike, should have warned you about pulling the prop on the sport, we had a puller and two torches working for 30 minutes to get mine off. I figured that thing must have been on there for at least 10 years. Oh and yeah, that prop is hot...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 6:41pm
In the back of my mind I knew it was gonna be an awful deal, but was hoping by some miracle it'd just pop off. Yea right.

thinking about taking the nut off and driving around the river till the forward gear doesn't get me anywhere. Just have a flatty follow me around. [/end sarcasm]

I hate the prop that's on it now. Motor turns great with it, problem is you don't go anywhere! It's like it sits there and spins
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

thinking about taking the nut off and driving around the river till the forward gear doesn't get me anywhere. Just have a flatty follow me around. [/end sarcasm]

You may want to try reverse.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:32pm

thinking about taking the nut off and driving around the river till the forward gear doesn't get me anywhere. Just have a flatty follow me around.

If you do, please do down in pool13 and not 12. That will give you plenty of time for that flatty to catch you. You don't need to repeat the "Tx Damn Test"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:32pm

thinking about taking the nut off and driving around the river till the forward gear doesn't get me anywhere. Just have a flatty follow me around.

If you do, please do it down in pool 13 and not 12. That will give you plenty of time for that flatty to catch you. You don't need to repeat the "Tx Damn Test"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:49pm
Mike I had the same feeling with the original prop. It felt like it was using far too many rpms at speeds above 30mph. This was comparing it to my 89 with the 422. I decided to change the original prop (OJ 13X16 4 blade) with the 422. The results were disappointing in that the rpms only went down 100-150rpm at 40mph.

The original prop was also very tight on my boat it bent my g clamp style puller so I made a quick copy of Pete's puller and it came straight off.

I think the larger hull does require more thrust to get it through the water. I was just not used to the extra rpms required. Remember the GT40 is good for 5200rpm.

Overall I think the OJ is a reasonably good prop for these boats.

Looking forward to you testing the 1442 on this hull. Get the speed and rpm figures at reference points with your current prop before changing. I regret not doing that myself. One of my winter projects is to back to back both props with full data.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 11:04am
Thanks Mark,

Your puller looks like the exact same thing I have been trying to use. Your right, the OJ is not an AWFUL prop for the boat by any means, but we use the boat mainly for show skiing. It'd be really nice to have that extra diameter that the 1442 offers. Can't wait to try it out. Dad is afraid I'm gonna wreck his boat trying to get the old prop off.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Remember the GT40 is good for 5200rpm.

Mark, what is that number based on?

I agree with HW. Tighten, wait, retighten. If youre in a rush, a single hammer blow to the back of the puller will usually do the trick.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:21pm
Cool thanks Tim.

We were rushed the day we were trying to remove it, I'll admit that. I will put that puller on it and tighten it here and there and see if that will budge it. No rush really now. Although I don't think I'll be able to mess with it til after this weekend. Skiing all week and we have our first show Friday!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:23pm
With the C-clamp style if it doesn't pop off after ther first 1/4 turn I'll take it off and rotate between blades. Only once did I have to use a little pursuasion.
dougs_boat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougs_boat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 12:49pm
I was initially planning to design my own puller...Then I saw the above one(lewy2001), it quotes Pete's puller. Is there a link to Petes puller, I am not having any luck finding it. Pete's design would most certainly be better than mine
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by dougs_boat dougs_boat wrote:

I was initially planning to design my own puller...Then I saw the above one(lewy2001), it quotes Pete's puller. Is there a link to Petes puller, I am not having any luck finding it. Pete's design would most certainly be better than mine

Doug,
Here's one of the threads the puller came up in: Build your own prop puller towards the end of page one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 6:11pm
Eric has a sweet design that also doubles as a shaft coupler remover. He said if he could get 5 people to commit he would finish them up.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 9:54pm
...sign me up. I just picked up a puller but will always buy whatever eric is selling.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 4:48am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Remember the GT40 is good for 5200rpm.

Mark, what is that number based on?

Tim you are right it is 5000 max recommended rpm just checked the GT40 manual. I think I picked that number up from a couple of other threads on GT40 engines. I have seen 5200rpm on my tach starting to think I need to check the calibration. Don't think the engine is rev limited electronically so you could go past 5000rpm for short intervals.

I had to check the manuals I bet you knew the max rpm figure off the top of your head.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 9:47am
i keep using the steel plates for other projects, and my machinist keeps bugging me to come in on Saturdays to finish them up. i will eventually build them...lost a bit of fire over the years.....
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 3:12pm
Eric, theres a guy selling a similar version on ebay for ~$70... but since yours could be used to push a coupler off the shaft, Im in for $100 if you can get other interest. Hopefully the back plate is thinner than 3/8"?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 5:41pm
GOOD NEWS!!! Dad just texted me (he's off today)

"got the prop off, heated the crap out of it and invited Joe and Moe"

While blowing kisses to his arms he likes to say "once you meet Joe, you don't want no Moe"

Goofy guy yea? Heat was the answer I guess!

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 7:36pm
When do we get performance testing? I assume you put the 1422 on... Looking forward to seeing the numbers!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 7:39pm
Steve, ACME 1442 on 2000 Sport Nautique GT40 Perf testing will begin promptly tomorrow morning at roughly 9AM CST.

I will report back on my findings. From what I understand there aren't many 1442's on Sport Nautiques. Should be fun to see the numbers and feel it! (feel the power and the prop) Can't wait to see how smooth it'll run, hoping it's better than the stock job. We have a tiiiny bit of mirror wiggle with the stock prop.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 8:40pm
I am anxious to hear how it goes. The 422 that came with my boat (that I bunged up on the trailer) was a hot prop, I was seeing upper 40's with RPM's around 4800. The "spare" 422 I purchased is a real dog, I am doing really good to get 4400 RPM's and 43 or 44 mph, 41 with 2 or more footers in tow. Can't believe their is that much difference between the two. I am anxious to put the repaired "original" (to me) 422 back on their.

So if the 1422 makes your Sport more "lively" I may switch out my spare 422 for a new 1422. I also am anxious to see the actual prop to hull clearance, I figure it is going to be close. I think I may end up in Dubuque next weekend, so if you guys are around I may have to drop down.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 8:47pm
Awesome Steve. By the way, we have the 1442, NOT 1422 (if that's even a prop ACME makes)

Dad said we have 1.25" between the blade and glass which is plenty of room IMO.

We also have a 654 I may try if I hate this 1442 (I didn't like the 1442 on the 90) reason being I think is because the 90 didn't have enough power to turn it. I don't know.

I have my bachelor party on the 18th but we will be skiing Sunday the 19th for sure. The bach party will be around town so if you're in the area whatever time works come on down. Sunday would be our best bet though!

I'd love to post on tach numbers but after our new gauge install our tach has been flakey....we need to have our Marina check it out again.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 8:58pm
Yes, 1442, that is what I meant, sometimes the fingers just don't listen to the brain...

Bachelor party huh? sounds like fun, but usually that ends up with me in no shape for driving. Anyway, if things go as planned we probably won't get back until later Saturday afternoon (post kids soccer games...). So Sunday is more likely. Hope to see you!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2011 at 9:05pm
Did I mention that It's my bachelor party? Haha let's plan on sunday!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic