NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop removal questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 10:42pm
So is this something I can do myself or do I need somebody with experience? I'm always up for learning a new skill but prefer to avoid the ones when I could make it worse then when I started.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 10:48pm
If your boat is fuel injected we need advice from those that have adjusted the Fuel Injected GT40 on how to do it. If it is carbureted changing timing is simple but you will need a timing light. A set back Timing light is best so you can check the timing at idle and at all the RPM ranges.   It is also important to see your timing curve actuates very smoothly from idle to full advance.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 11:03pm
I have a GT40.
96 Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I have never checked my GT40 timing assuming it was controlled by the computer and it has run very well since I have had it. 30 degree's seems very tame to me.
I would think you would benefit from moving the total advance to 34-36 degree's.
Try 34 and if you have no ignition rattle or pinging try 36. Timing should be all in by 3,500 RPM. for max power. If you bring it in too early you can cause detonation issues and risk damage so be conservative with changes.

You really can't adjust the total advance. Maybe by setting base timing a couple degrees heavy you may get more not sure if that would work.
"The distributor has no centrical or vacuum advance since the ECA controls the spark timing. Other than setting base timing no distributor adjustments are required.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 11:45pm
With the GT40 you can only set the static timing the rest of the time the GT40 ECM adjusts the timing depending on input from all other sensors it has a range of twenty odd degrees from memory that it adds to the static timing from the table in the ECM.

Base timing per manual is 5 deg BTDC with Spout disconnected and engine at operating temp. I have played around with this and actually have tried other settings up to 10 BTDC. I had mine set to 8 degrees with the GT40 ECM. Tried this setting on another GT40 at GL and could hear a slight ping so set it back to standard.

The GT40 also has knock sensor that will retard timing if detected.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

With the GT40 you can only set the static timing the rest of the time the GT40 ECM adjusts the timing depending on input from all other sensors it has a range of twenty odd degrees from memory that it adds to the static timing from the table in the ECM.

Base timing per manual is 5 deg BTDC with Spout disconnected and engine at operating temp. I have played around with this and actually have tried other settings up to 10 BTDC. I had mine set to 8 degrees with the GT40 ECM. Tried this setting on another GT40 at GL and could hear a slight ping so set it back to standard.

The GT40 also has knock sensor that will retard timing if detected.

Thanks, Lewy. I wonder what sort of advance increase you'd be able to achieve on good premium fuel. I run Mobil ethanol free premium 93 octane. I'm not messing with it regardless as I don't see any performance issues with my GT40. I know I don't need 93 but it's the only ethanol free fuel near my home (if you consider 17 miles to be near).
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:17am
I have been inspired to look for my missing ponies. I have started a new thread here to discuss my adventure.
96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic