NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop removal questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Well, the time with the 1868 was short lived. Yesterday I hit something while backing it off the trailer and bent one of the blades. The same thing happened with the 422 I have, I must have had 3 uses out of it before I whacked something. Same lake, same ramp.

What brand 2003 trailer did you buy?

Also as a complete and total threadjack, I saw you had some really bad oxidation when you recovered the boat off the lift, what type of compound did you use?
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well, the time with the 1868 was short lived. Yesterday I hit something while backing it off the trailer and bent one of the blades. The same thing happened with the 422 I have, I must have had 3 uses out of it before I whacked something. Same lake, same ramp. I put the "old reliable" 14x16 OJ back on while I send the 422 and 1868 to Admiral C&B for repairs. Time to petition the HOA to pony up the dough to get our ramp cleaned out and dredged.

Ouch, are you sure it isn't the prop guard on the trailer.. there are some out there known to be blade benders.

Nope, definitely trash on the bottom. I was well clear of the trailer both times, it was something soft like an old branch or something. Probably would have been OK if it wasn't in reverse, which tends to bend blades a lot worse.

Our neighborhood ramp is private and didn't get much use for 10+ years until we moved in, so every plant, stick, branch, rope, etc. has piled up along with 2 feet of Florida muck. I try not to run the boat much in close to shore because it clogs up the strainer with weeds and algae, but of course yesterday was the exception.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Well, the time with the 1868 was short lived. Yesterday I hit something while backing it off the trailer and bent one of the blades. The same thing happened with the 422 I have, I must have had 3 uses out of it before I whacked something. Same lake, same ramp.

What brand 2003 trailer did you buy?

Also as a complete and total threadjack, I saw you had some really bad oxidation when you recovered the boat off the lift, what type of compound did you use?

It's a Ramlin, originally from a 196. I moved the bowstop as far forward as it would go, but the stern still overhangs by about 12 inches. The prop is still within the prop guard, but the rudder isn't. It was the best I could find locally after about 4 months of looking. It tows pretty well, but it's a bit more bouncy since it doesn't have as much tongue weight as the original. This actually worked in our favor for a while because we were using my wife's Mazda CX-9 since FWD and tongue weight aren't a great combination. Doesn't hurt with my 2WD Durango, either.

As for the oxidation, I just called a friend who runs a marine detailing business    With two kids at home I don't have the time for wet sanding and buffing anymore. He sanded, buffed, and reapplied the graphics which I had already purchased.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I've finally got numbers on my new 1442. First, strange thing happened with the stock OJ 13x16 4 blade. Until I dinged it, I was getting 44.5 mph at 4,600 rpm. I sent it out for recondition and put it back on first. I could tell from the first minute that something was different with it, had less bite at idle in gear. Here's the numbers I got with it after recon:

OJ 13x16 4 blade
rpm   mph
2000 13.0
2500 22.2
3000 28.0
3500 32.3
4000 36.4
5230 44.7 WOT

Crazy, huh? They must have really altered the prop when they reconditioned it.

On to the 1442, here's the numbers today:

Acme 1442 3 blade
rpm   mph
2000 13.1
2500 22.0
3000 28.2
3500 33.3
4000 37.6
5180 45.4 WOT

The prop felt great, excellent holeshot. I hope to get behind it on the ski in the next few days. At 4800 rpm the speed was 43.6 mph. Even though the numbers for the 2 props seem similar, the Acme felt much better, more responsive.

All numbers were with 1/4 tank of fuel, fair amount of gear in the trunk and ski in the locker, just me in the boat, light breeze.

Now if I can stay away from rocks ......

I've been meaning to post an update for a while, finally am getting to it. I'm enjoying the 422 I put on at the beginning of the season, seems like the perfect prop for this boat for my use. Here's the numbers:

Acme 422 4 blade
rpm   mph

2000 13.2
2500 24.0
3000 29.7
3500 35.1
4000 36.6
4500 42.8
4940 45.4 WOT

32 mph ski speed is at 3210 rpm

1/2 tank of fuel, light breeze, my usual ton of gear in the trunk, Flitepipe was in place, just me in the boat. Smooth as smooth can be at all speeds. I was surprised at the same WOT speed as the 1442, my first pass had 45.2 mph but 2nd time gave it a bit more room to find a top speed. All numbers off of perfect pass in rpm mode.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 3:29pm
Stargazer or paddle wheel?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2015 at 3:33pm
Stargazer.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 6:56pm
I had to put the boat in this morning to take monthly water samples for the State of Florida (part of my HOA Lake Watch volunteer duties). It was too cold and windy to ski so I did a couple of WFO runs with the repaired 422 on. I managed 50.9 @ 5430 with the wind and 49.8 @ 5300 into the wind. Only mod on the motor since my last post is some 1.7 Crane rockers that I put on when I changed the valve cover gaskets a few months ago, which didn't net me any additional speed when it was warm out. I guess the 50 degree air and choppy water today helped.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2016 at 10:24am
I'm want to start looking for a new prop for my 95 Sport and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd add to this one. After doing some reading it appears the 422 is probably what I need. I'm planning on using the boat mostly for wakeboarding but would also like to keep some top end speed as I am interested in learning to barefoot. I'll be running at pretty much sea level. At WOT I got 43.1 mph at 4560rpm both measured using perfect pass Stargazer.

I believe I have the stock prop on the boat but I'm not sure how I confirm that.

I'm probably a couple month away from buying so I am open to any kind of testing to get performance number to help make the right decision
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2016 at 10:48am
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2016 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

I believe I have the stock prop on the boat but I'm not sure how I confirm that.

Take the nut off and read what it says on the hub.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Take the nut off and read what it says on the hub.

Prop was a stock OJ 3 blade 14 x 16.

My folks got me an ACME 422 prop for my birthday. OJ has a few nicks in it and I figured it would be good to start with a modern prop, Delta recommend the 422 and it seemed to be what was most often recommended here.

The OJ was a B to get off. Went around the prop 4 times with the prop puller over about 2 hours before we pulled out the MAP torch. Took about a minute of heat and it pop right off. What a great feeling.

Got the ACME, lapped and put on Sunday but haven't had a chance to give it a run as it was so windy I opted to do some work on the boat instead of taking it out . I'll do that this weekend and post some numbers. Hoping I don't loose much top end with the 422 and gain some hole shot and a smoother ride.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 3:13pm
So looks like I gained 0.4 mph on the top end my WOT numbers are now 43.5 mph at 4560 rpm. Overall the prop is much smoother. I honestly can't notice much difference in hole shot but I haven't had the boat for long. Across the RPM range I have added about 0.5 MPH. (at 3000,3500, 4000) vs the stock OJ.

So overall the boat runs great. Good news is I don't have a slow hull, Bad News is I am probably missing a few ponies since I can only get up to 4450 RPM max and top speed is 43.5mph. This makes sense because I had low compression on a couple cylinders when I tested the engine before buying. That's something I plan to address in the future but for now I am just enjoying the boat.

Overall I am happy with the 422, hope my results will help other make a decision.
96 Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 12:38pm
What motor do you have?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

What motor do you have?

Looks like a GT-40 from his diary listing. He can gain an easy 3 mph with better compression, but it's a lot of work for 3 mph.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 12:57pm
I have yet to try a 422 on our boat but I bought a used 224 Acme from TR Benj and it has been a great prop. We have the 310 HP 351W Pro Boss, 1995.
We saw some runs just above 50 MPH and just over 5,000 RPM before I bent the prop and had to have it repaired. Since the repair I have not been able to go over 47 MPH.   The acceleration is outstanding so I don't plan to change it but I do miss the previous MPH.
I would keep the 224 in mind as a possible option to the 422.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

What motor do you have?

Looks like a GT-40 from his diary listing. He can gain an easy 3 mph with better compression, but it's a lot of work for 3 mph.

Those RPM numbers are way low for a GT-40 with that prop
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 9:38pm
I think he stated he is in Denver, 6,000 foot elevation will rob some power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I think he stated he is in Denver, 6,000 foot elevation will rob some power.

That would make sense but his profile says NY that's what was throwing me.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 10:38pm
If it's Blarney you're talking about he states he's using the boat pretty much at sea level a handfull of posts back.

If Denver's at sea level, we all have a lot of problems (except LC Gordon who now would have a better running boat)

Now White Plains NY.........that's pretty much at sea level.

Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If it's Blarney you're talking about he states he's using the boat pretty much at sea level a handfull of posts back.

If Denver's at sea level, we all have a lot of problems (except LC Gordon who now would have a better running boat)

Now White Plains NY.........that's pretty much at sea level.

Yup, I'm in White Plains NY and I run my boat on Greenwood Lake. I think it's at 700ft, so no altitude issues.

And yes, I have a GT40. The boat does have compression issues. It's something I knew about when I purchased it. I haven't done a leak down yet since I don't have the money to fix the engine but hope to get it looked at some day.

Im pretty sure the compression issues that are affected my top end but really if there are any other suggestions to look at I'd appreciate the help.
96 Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 10:02am
I guess we can start with what are the current compression numbers?
Have you done anything to it like a tune up?
How do the plugs look black, brown, wet, worn?
Is the air cleaner/spark arrester clean?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 5:06pm

I guess we can start with what are the current compression numbers?
Have you done anything to it like a tune up?
How do the plugs look black, brown, wet, worn?
Is the air cleaner/spark arrester clean?

Well that's interesting because I was not aware that most of the above should be done.. To all the service items the answer is no. The flame arrestor is dirty and I've been meaning to clean it but keep keep forgetting to take it out.

All i have done is the regular stuff. Oil and filter change, trans fluid change and fuel filter change. I also ran some fuel cleaner through the system.

I was going to change the spark plugs and I have new ones. I have been researching the doing a tune up the week but figured since I wasn't noticing any miss firing issues it wasn't to important. Same goes for wires. Do you think this could help?

I'll try pull the compression numbers from an old post but I'm on my phone now.

Edit: Here are the compression numbers from last year when I bought the boat.

1. 120
2. 100
3. 120
4. 110
5. 120
6. 110
7. 90
8. 120
96 Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 6:27pm
It' my understanding that the difference between the lowest and highest cylinders should be no more than 10%. You're outside that range based on the numbers you posted.

I'd re-check those numbers and if they come back to confirm the originals, then you need to figure out why the difference. Maybe a leak down test would be the next best step once you confirm the compression numbers.

Make sure you do the test with a warm motor.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 9:21pm
I would do what Jpass said and see if the numbers are the same now that you've been running it.
I know your not worried about getting into the compression problem until after the season but the other things may help get better performance until then.
Also take a peek inside the cap to see what kind of condition it's in.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:56am
I guess if it was me I'd take a look at, and likely change, the plugs, inspect the wires, cap and rotor, and maybe most of all get a timing light on it. Would be nice to know you have good ignition and are timed right.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 1:25am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I guess if it was me I'd take a look at, and likely change, the plugs, inspect the wires, cap and rotor, and maybe most of all get a timing light on it. Would be nice to know you have good ignition and are timed right.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The prop I had on before had a few decent sized nicks in it and I wasn't sure if that was affecting performance, turns out it was but not by much. With the new prop I now know I have an issue but figured it was just due to the low compression. Now that I know a tune-up could help I'll look into getting that done.

Should I just go ahead and replace the cap and rotor, wires and plugs? I'll probably start a new post on this tomorrow.

Not sure how to use a timing light, guess that something new to learn.
96 Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:14am
Not necessarily. If the cap looks clean on the inside, contact points not blackened, rotor also clean, no cracks in the cap, you don't have to change them. Spark plugs I think I'd change if you don't know how long it's been, and confirm correct gap. If you don't see any obvious wear points in the plug wires you can leave them for now too. Timing, if off by a lot, could definitely affect performance at WOT and elsewhere. If you can get a mechanic to go for a ride with you and bring his timing light, you want to check timing at idle and also total timing at speed to make sure your distributor is advancing properly.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 2:23pm
GT-40 computer advances spark not distributor per say.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 9:41pm
Paul is right..... and to set the static timing remember you need to remove the "Spout" plug.

The GT40 is pretty conservative with ignition advance.

Timing
No load                                   Running on Water

700rpm             8 degrees                         700rpm             8 degrees
1000rpm     11 degrees                         1000rpm     11 degrees
2000rpm     20 degrees                         2000rpm     27 degrees
3000rpm     28 degrees                         3000rpm     31 degrees
4000rpm     30 degrees                         4000rpm     30 degrees

To get this thread back to prop testing here is my numbers from the same day I logged ignition timing.

ACME 1442 Testing 20th October 2013-10-22

20mph          2450rpm
27mph          3000rpm
34mph          3700rpm
36mph          3970rpm
43.1mph      5030rpm

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 10:24pm
I have never checked my GT40 timing assuming it was controlled by the computer and it has run very well since I have had it. 30 degree's seems very tame to me.
I would think you would benefit from moving the total advance to 34-36 degree's.
Try 34 and if you have no ignition rattle or pinging try 36. Timing should be all in by 3,500 RPM. for max power. If you bring it in too early you can cause detonation issues and risk damage so be conservative with changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic