Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Oil Change
    Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:28pm
Hey Everyone,

Next week I am going to do my first oil change on my 96 Sport Nautique. What kind of oil should I be using and what kind of oil filter. Is there anything else I should be aware of?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:44pm
Many here use Valvolene VR1 20-50. (silver container - off road) It's got a great ZDDP level your flat tappet engine needs.

Wix or Napa gold but NEVER a Fram!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by leftseat88 leftseat88 wrote:

... Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'll just throw it out there in case it really is your very first oil change:

You're aware there there's a drain hose right? The boat will be on a trailer, and you thread the drain hose through the bilge (plug) hole.
Put a container beneath for the old to flow into.

The oil fill flow pretty slowly through this hose, but faster obviously if the motor is warm.

It only takes a gallon in total, which is surprising for such a big motor.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

It only takes a gallon in total, which is surprising for such a big motor.

I think Brian meant 5 quarts for most motors.

Like the motorcraft oil filters as well as what Pete mentioned,

Wrap the oil filter in a plastic bag when you remove to catch any oil from going into the bilge.

You should change the trans fluid annually if it has not been done, for that you will need an extractor/pump. Use DexMerc trans fluid there.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Actually motor wasn't mentioned. I know the 351 Ford is 4 quarts:
Check out page 95.
96 Owners Manual PDF

Of course, always defer to the dipstick. I'd put in 4, and then see what you've got before adding any more.

It will read a little high until you start it, because some will go to fill up the filter.
nautique5454 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 6:01pm
Just curious, what is the issue with Fram filters?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Actually motor wasn't mentioned. I know the 351 Ford is 4 quarts:
Check out page 95.
96 Owners Manual PDF

Of course, always defer to the dipstick. I'd put in 4, and then see what you've got before adding any more.

It will read a little high until you start it, because some will go to fill up the filter.

That manual specifically states "oil pan capacity" which is misleading, the 351 requires 5 quarts of oil to properly fill the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by nautique5454 nautique5454 wrote:

Chris,
There's lots of info here on site on the cheaply built Fram filters. A couple of the treads even have links to studies where they opened up a bunch of different brands, took a look inside and got all the details. Fram internals and even the cans are junk!! If you think they are good, you have fallen for their marketing scam. If you have some time, you can do a search and you'll find some interesting details. Just say no to Fram!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 11:58pm

Here we go!   
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
88 S NAUTIQUE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 S NAUTIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 10:54am
4 quarts without oil filter, @ 5 quarts with oil filter. How misleading in the manuals. Who changes the oil without changing the filter.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 11:41am
you would be surprised   
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 3:20pm
Confession time - I changed oil last summer mid season & did not change filter. My rationale was that I would only put another 20-25 hours on that new oil before winterizing. The new oil should have enough ZDDP / additives to overcome the tired 1 qt of old oil in the filter. I changed filter at winterizing.

Also, the oil I use has Honda & Ford certification for 7500 mile change interval - not that anyone recommends that except those car companies!

Didn't have any adverse consequences that I know of.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 4:02pm
Here ya go check out the info
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 4:30pm
I can vouch that Fram filters are junk. I used to circle track race and I had a pretty high performance SBC engine that I catastrophically lost due to a Fram HP4 racing filter when the filter element fell apart and clogged the pre-filter screen after flowing through the entire engine. This all happened in about one 17 second lap around Winchester Speedway. By the time the oil pressure light came on, the engine was gone. I left pieces of the bottom end all down the front straightaway.

I will NEVER put a Fram filter on anything I own ever again, not even a lawn tractor. If that was their $10 racing filter, imagine what you are putting on your boat for $3.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 6:23pm

Chris,
I forgot to ask you, what brand of filters have you been getting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique5454 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 7:27pm
When I bought my boat at the end of last summer the first thing I did was change the oil and not knowing any better, threw a Fram filter on. Will plan on changing oil again before this season and will be sure to use a better one.
Fly100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 6:16pm
Ive run mine on 15/40w with a zddp additive last year.im no re educated.
With the Vr1 20/50w my oil pressure has risen from 40psi to well into the 50 or even 60's

Im hoping more is better and it wont blow any seals.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Fly100 Fly100 wrote:

Ive run mine on 15/40w with a zddp additive last year.im no re educated.
With the Vr1 20/50w my oil pressure has risen from 40psi to well into the 50 or even 60's

Im hoping more is better and it wont blow any seals.

everybody has there own preference, with these motors 20w50 will do you right.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 2:46pm
This has been a "if and or but" for me since I got my '80 Nautique. I know the book says 5 qts./filter. After I get 4 qts. in is is right at the top end (at the Max.) I check it at regular use, in the water, and stayed with the 4qts. If I went with 5 it would climb way over that mark. iS There a way to find out if I have the right dipstick? Beside me,before some one else tells me that.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

This has been a "if and or but" for me since I got my '80 Nautique. I know the book says 5 qts./filter. After I get 4 qts. in is is right at the top end (at the Max.) I check it at regular use, in the water, and stayed with the 4qts. If I went with 5 it would climb way over that mark. iS There a way to find out if I have the right dipstick? Beside me,before some one else tells me that.

I'm on the same page as you. I didn't want to get sucked into a "which oil/which filter" vortex so I let it go.

But yeah, mine takes exactly 4. In fact, when I put in the 4, it reads high until I run the engine and the new filter fills up with oil, then it reads normal.

Not everyone's motor is tilted the same way, if you have a PowerPlus transmission, your motor actually sits closer to level. Mine is tilted like an 88 and earlier boat. Maybe this could affect the way the oil level reads?
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 3:13pm
I think my motor sits at 15°. Even after I run the engine and let the filter fill up, it will read at that level. I just keep checking it and figure that a quart low wont hurt. I hope.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

After I get 4 qts. in is is right at the top end (at the Max.) I check it at regular use, in the water, and stayed with the 4qts. If I went with 5 it would climb way over that mark. iS There a way to find out if I have the right dipstick? Beside me,before some one else tells me that.

Mine has this issue too. From reading other posts, this is common. Does anyone know why the dipsticks were not calibrated correctly?

I put 5 qts in, per the manual, & it reads over full.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 5:22pm
Got this tip from the FAQ on Skidim:
OIL CAPACITY, FORD 351, INDMAR OR PCM
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 6:18pm

Got this tip from the FAQ on Skidim:
OIL CAPACITY, FORD 351, INDMAR OR PCM

So we were both right, pan holds 4 + 3/4 to 1 for the filter. I don't know why you were worried about starting an issue when we were both saying the same thing.

The important thing is you don't tell someone that the motor holds 4 quarts like the manual implies.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 6:40pm
I drained over 8 quarts from a PCM 351 last year. I'm thinking this may have been a reason the boat only ran 34 mph.
derekskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 3:48am
It seems there's a lot of confusion here about the correct amount of oil to put in the 351. The truth is that the correct amount varies from boat to boat, and depends primarily on the angle that the engine is mounted at.

As such, engines with the 1:1 transmission take between 4 and 4.5 quarts, and engines with the 1.23:1 take between 4.25 and 5 quarts, INCLUDING the filter change. The dipsticks ARE calibrated correctly, and one should always defer to the dipstick.

The engine should be filled to just below the full line. The engines are fairly sensitive to oil foaming during hard acceleration and this problem is exacerbated by overfilling.

On a side note, the factory recommended viscosity is SAE-40. There's really no reason to go heavier than this. I know a lot of people like to run VR-1 for the ZDDP content, which is definitely a plus, but the SAE-40 or 10w-30 viscosities would probably be the best choice for the marine 351, which runs far too cold to effectively utilize 20w-50. I know that Napa can get the SAE 40 VR-1 for the same price as the 20W-50.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by derekskier derekskier wrote:

On a side note, the factory recommended viscosity is SAE-40. There's really no reason to go heavier than this. I know a lot of people like to run VR-1 for the ZDDP content, which is definitely a plus, but the SAE-40 or 10w-30 viscosities would probably be the best choice for the marine 351, which runs far too cold to effectively utilize 20w-50.

Derek,
I feel you need to do some reading on oil since you do not understand a multi weight oil. The base weight of a 20-50 is the 20 which has a lower viscosity than the 40 weight! As temperature increases, the multi oil "behaves" the same as a single weight at a given temp by maintaining viscosity similar to the heavier weights up to a 50 weight rating. That's the beauty of a multi weight.

What do you feel is too cold? Just because we run 140 T stats in the carb'd engines, doesn't mean they run that temp. Typically it's 20 over. Yes, that is lower than a car!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
derekskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:40pm
although an oil may certify as a 20w-50, the range of acceptable viscosities for a given weight of oil is very large. Per API protocols, an oil which contains viscosity improving additives must be marketed as a multigrade oil, and must be labeled as the widest viscosity range that the oil will certify for. Oils which do not contain VI additives may be marketed as straight grade, even though they would easily certify for a multigrade.

Take VR-1 for example: At 40 degrees C, just over 100f, 20w-50 has a viscosity of 182 cST. At the same temperature VR-1 SAE40 has a viscosity of 137 cST.

In the case of VR-1, SAE40 provides better low-temp flow properties, and stays true to the manufacturers intended oil weight at operating temperatures. 20w-50 is a heavier oil than the engine was designed for both at low and high operating temperatures.

Not saying that a heavier oil might not have it's benefits, and to each his own; But I haven't seen anything to suggest that PCM specified too thin an oil for the engine in the first place.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 2:12am
Does anyone have any follow up info to the two above posts regarding the debate between 20w-50 vs. SAE40? I need to go buy some oil tomorrow. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2011 at 9:43am
Mark,
All I can add is I feel if you went through all the threads here on oil, you would find more members running the 20-50. I'm one of them and use it in all my boats.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic