NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Oil Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Polar Express Polar Express wrote:

As far as aftermarket additives go, I'm a HUGE fan of the old Bardahl EP additive, but sadly, I can't get it anymore, even if I go to the factory in Seattle and beg. So, my #2 is Hilton Hyper Lube, but as that is rather thick, I compensate with an even lighter base oil. Recently, I've gone with 2 qts 5-30, 2 qts 0-30, and 1 qt HyperLube, and my engine has loved it so far.

PE

At normal engine temps, what viscosity does your "brew" test at? What are the levels of ZDDP of the mix?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I currently run the vr-1 20w50 BUT would like to try a 10w40. I think the 20 is too much at cold start and I'd like to see if there is any noticable change with a lighter weight blend.

What are my options in a 10w40 with adequate ZDDP?

Alan, Look into Brad Penn, I have been running straight 40W in my boat and 30W in my Dad's for years. Back when all the ZDDP talk started, Brad Penn was one of the oils that tested right in the sweet spot - but few people knew about it. A LOT of hot-rodders use it exclusively. A few years ago, Brad Penn realized the attraction (because of the ideal ZDDP) and started actively promoting their ideal ZDDP content (remember, you CAN have to much ZDDP). I know Hollywood referenced a 15W40 from Castrol, but Brad Penn Does Make a 10W40 (Link to Summit Racing), Check local owned auto part stores, there is one in town here that keeps it in stock.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I currently run the vr-1 20w50 BUT would like to try a 10w40. I think the 20 is too much at cold start and I'd like to see if there is any noticable change with a lighter weight blend.

What are my options in a 10w40 with adequate ZDDP?

Alan, Look into Brad Penn, I have been running straight 40W in my boat and 30W in my Dad's for years. Back when all the ZDDP talk started, Brad Penn was one of the oils that tested right in the sweet spot - but few people knew about it. A LOT of hot-rodders use it exclusively. A few years ago, Brad Penn realized the attraction (because of the ideal ZDDP) and started actively promoting their ideal ZDDP content (remember, you CAN have to much ZDDP). I know Hollywood referenced a 15W40 from Castrol, but Brad Penn Does Make a 10W40 (Link to Summit Racing), Check local owned auto part stores, there is one in town here that keeps it in stock.

OHHH GEEEZ I can't believe I just made a recommendation on a post from 2011!!! Good god, I thought Alan was talking about the Hurricane, then I read a few lines down and he mentioned the 81, and I thought when did Alan buy back his 81... Clearly these issues have all been resolved...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:11am
Thats what happens when your stuck inside staring at 4 walls and getting no sun. I believe that Alan's 81 has a stock engine in it now too so it just would not be the same
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 11:47am
OHHH GEEEZ, probably should have read this thread before we bought Alan's old motor, didn't realize he was just another backyard hack hobbyist like the rest of us, lol
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Thats what happens when your stuck inside staring at 4 walls and getting no sun. I believe that Alan's 81 has a stock engine in it now too so it just would not be the same

Does excessive sunshine and mai tai's result in failing memory? Not stock by a long shot, that boat runs 52+.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

OHHH GEEEZ, probably should have read this thread before we bought Alan's old motor, didn't realize he was just another backyard hack hobbyist like the rest of us, lol

Suckers!! I didn't even shim the valve springs.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 12:48pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj]
Does excessive sunshine and mai tai's result in failing memory?

Now this is a relevant question... Gary I’ll be down in your neighborhood in 13 days or so to help investigate this hypothesis
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 12:57pm
British car parts companies also carry the Brad Penn line. Sometimes you can good deals from them.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

]
Does excessive sunshine and mai tai's result in failing memory? Not stock by a long shot, that boat runs 52+.

That and getting stuck and towed in when you have company! Would not change it for the world Tim!
Why in the world would you pull Alan's motor and then modify your replacement?? Was it because of the valves not being shimmed By the time that motor fires again that seller will be moved and long gone
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 3:45pm
This is an old thread but I want to throw in the Delo 15-40, Diesel Engine oil. 5 qt container is about $24.   The Diesel additives work well to protect the flat tappet camshafts our old boats run.   A lot of the old car forums recommend this as an alternative to the high priced racing oils. $8. per quart.   I have used the Delo for 5 years or so.
The fact is we change oil so frequently compared to Auto use that we never wear it out.
It is important to protect the flat tappet camshaft and lifters.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2017 at 8:42pm
Love it. Ask 10 people and get 15 different responses.

I'm a big fan of the Royal Purple line, so I use:

Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) full synthetic.
20W-50
High ZDDP number for flat tappet cams

I also like the K&N oil filter HP-3001

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JReisch09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReisch09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:23pm
So after reading this thread I really haven't found a clear answer, Im guessing its safe to assume by the responses that my first oil change I have done on my 1990 Sport Nautique should be accomplished with 4.5 quarts of 20w-50?
Jon R
1987 Fish Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JReisch09 JReisch09 wrote:

So after reading this thread I really haven't found a clear answer, Im guessing its safe to assume by the responses that my first oil change I have done on my 1990 Sport Nautique should be accomplished with 4.5 quarts of 20w-50?

This is important:
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

High ZDDP number for flat tappet cams
JQ

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:28pm
You will never reach consensus on brand or weight so which ever oil you choose you want to make sure that it contains enough zddp to protect the flat tappet cam. I believe the recommended range is 1000 to 1500 ppm (I am suspect on the upper limit, it might only be 1300ppm and I can't find my reference).
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:30pm
If the oil bottle doesn't state the PPM, you can safely assume it is low zddp & not good for a flat tappet engine.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JReisch09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReisch09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:33pm
I live in Florida, and its 90 degrees out today for example in the beginning of April. Wouldn't a thinner weight like 10w-30 be better?
Jon R
1987 Fish Nautique
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 6:51pm
Mobil 1 15w-50 is available at Walmart in 5 quart jugs for about $25. It has 1300 PPM of ZDDP.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 7:39pm

I live in Florida, and its 90 degrees out today for example in the beginning of April. Wouldn't a thinner weight like 10w-30 be better?

Jon,
Your engine is water cooled plus and hopefully you have a working T stat in the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If the oil bottle doesn't state the PPM, you can safely assume it is low zddp & not good for a flat tappet engine.

That's quite an assumption about the bottle stating the zinc levels

Here's a link to the PQIA website and with a little surfing you'll be able to find zinc levels for about any major brand oil out there.

PQIA link

You probably won't find the high priced "racing oil" that proudly states the zinc level to go along with their proud price on the website though.

If you look at diesel 15w 40 oils like MrMcD mentioned you'll be amazed that they all have plenty of zinc in them. Edit newer CK-4 rated diesel oils are now around and many of them have less zinc than the previous cj-4 rated diesel oils so .....beware. Looking at the PQIA website is still very helpful

You can check out Mobil 1 15w50 and find the levels that Desertskier mentioned also.

Plenty of info based on testing by an independent industry supported outfit

And like Skutsch stated you'll never get a consensus agreement on this topic but with a little reading you can make your own educated decision
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jon,
Your engine is water cooled plus and hopefully you have a working T stat in the engine.

Jon,
I'd like to comment since I have a feeling you misunderstand how a multi viscosity oil works. It's the low number that is the actual viscosity so with a 15-40, the base oil is 15 weight. Now, the higher number in this example 40 is how the oil performs when it's up to engine operating temperature.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JReisch09 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReisch09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2017 at 11:22pm
Well that makes sense, they don't teach you useful things like that in the Air Force or College!
Jon R
1987 Fish Nautique
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 10:30pm
Oil filter media (typically methanol resin saturated polyester impregnated paper) that does not meet porosity, strength, and other performance specs for top quality filter manufacturers is sold as scrap at pennies on the dollar to less reputable manufacturers. I will not name brands but it is something I’m intimately familiar with and insist using a quality oil (or air or fuel) filter as recommended here by the grand poobahs.
1976 Martinique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 3:51am
Wix, Hastings are manufacturers of high quality oil filters.
Napa Gold = Wix Wix makes filters Napa does not. Napa buys the GOlD line from Wix.
Hastings tests very well for long term use but has a slight restriction to oil flow.
You may see a Hasings knock down your pressure at idle by 3-5 pounds but they work very well.
In today's market everyone sells a low price/low quality filter to meet the demand for that market.   Make sure you buy a premium if it is important to you.
Some of the newer engines are more sensitive to the filter anti drain back valves. The GM LS engine designs, 4.8L, 5.3L 6.0L and 6.2L for example.

One reason your old manuals call out 5 quarts with filter but your boat is at the full mark with 4.5 quarts is the new small oil filters. They used to hold a quart but today many are 1/2 that size.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Hastings tests very well for long term use but has a slight restriction to oil flow.
You may see a Hasings knock down your pressure at idle by 3-5 pounds

And here I thought pressure and flow were inversely related.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

You may see a Hasings knock down your pressure at idle by 3-5 pounds

And here I thought pressure and flow were inversely related.

Well... the pressure sensor is AFTER the restriction (filter) is it not?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 9:49am
Kinda depends on which side of the filter you measure pressure.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 10:05am
Delta P does relate to particulate size filtered.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 3:25am
Fram filter and some 0w-30 weight rev it up to 4000 on startup to make sure all the flat tappet lifters are working correctly, repeat if necessary. If it makes noise your heading in the right direction.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic