FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft, Strut Alignment Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft, Strut Alignment Video
    Posted: April-13-2011 at 11:40am
There is a new video on the CorrectCraftFan channel on YouTube - Inboard Shaft Alignment - 101 featuring the expert instruction of Peter Brainard as presented at the 2010 CorrectCraftFan.com Midwest Reunion.

Look for more instructional videos coming soon.

Thank you,
Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:26pm
Nice video and hats off to Pete for putting this together it really brings all the written narrative through posts/pictures into perspective when it is on video.

I do have one question though when re-installing the coupler on the shaft last fall mine has some slop and is not as tight on the shaft using heat shrink method as it was before. Getting the coupler off was a real PITA, but now it will come off with very minimal resistance. Is this going to be a problem and basically rely on the key to hold it together and if so should I just get a dual tapered shaft?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:05pm
Keith,
That's for getting the vid up on site. I know it will help many.

Mark,
A loose coupling on the shaft isn't good. It will fret (wear out material) to the point where it will pound out the set screws as well as the key/keyway. If you think about it some, every revolution the shaft will want to go from one side to the other in the bore of the coupling. Make sure you have a safety collar on the shaft just in case it comes out. How did you end up with the loose fit? Did you get a new shaft and was it smaller than the old?

The proper way to do a new shaft R&R is to get a new coupling half if the fit is off. The coupling will come in on the small side of the bore and then it's bored for the press/shrink fit to the exact diameter of the new shaft.

The ARE double tapers are nice!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:30pm
I don't understand what the "safety collar" is on the shaft - I have the set screws in recess, key fits tight, and set screws are wired together.
I pulled the shaft to replace strut and why I was at it I checked shaft straightness which is less than maximum allowed tolerance fo .003 runout. For re-assembly I cleaned everything including coupler and had the coupler face machined true (not the bore). The shaft and coupler are the same ones I disassembled it was just real difficult to remove and reasonably easy to reinstall the coupler on shaft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:52pm
Mark,
The safety collar is a shaft "set collar" that goes on the shaft just forward of the packing gland. (someone will have a picture). It's there just in case the shaft comes out of the coupling. It prevents the prop from hitting the rudder.

When you had the coupling face trued up, did they by chance measure the bore and shaft? Keep a close eye on it and make sure your alignment is good. That will really help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 3:06pm
got the point on the safety collar - I wasn't thinking further down the shaft toward the log I was thinking it was something on the coupler

no machine shop did not measure the bore/shaft diameter I didn't think to ask them to do that

I am definately going to get the safety collar and will re-evaluate the coupler attachment and consider just getting a double tapered shaft
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 4:59pm
Great video Pete..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:53am
This is a great video but could be edited in smaller ones for each specific issue.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

This is a great video but could be edited in smaller ones for each specific issue.

Not a bad idea. I could do that fairly easy. Probably would be a bit more helpful broken out since we can't do chapters in YouTube.

Give me a few days.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 1:51pm
Keith,
The idea of breaking up the video into sections isn't bad as long as the complete process is conveyed. It should be understood that alignment really starts at the strut and then forward.

Luciano,
Do you suffer from ADD? I do!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 3:16pm
You guys can't last 14 minutes??
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 5:24pm
This is a great idea! I can't wait for a chapter on wet sanding, polishing, and fixing gel coat. Well done! Great speech Pete! Good paced and tone. I really like the visual aid.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 6:32pm
good job Pete Its good to put a face with a screen name, though you don't look like what I had pictured in my head
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:04pm
Soon to be a YouTube sensation:

"Hands on Shaft Clinic starring Peter"
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:17pm
I wondered how long until someone went there ... Figures it would be Quinner.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:20pm
You look like movie star.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

good job Pete Its good to put a face with a screen name, though you don't look like what I had pictured in my head

Dan,
Thanks! Does anyone really look like the "picture" you develop in their mind?? The same is true via the phone. I remember (way back in my single days) talking to a girl for years over the phone and always thinking about wanting to meet her. Well, that day did come and.........

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 9:33pm
Pete I have been waiting for a comment on Jeans and long sleeves in the middle of your summer.

Now that you are a celebrity and the face of CCfan we will need to get you more marketable.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2011 at 10:09pm
look at the way he handles wood...
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 2:10pm
Thanks Pete.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

and you look Bored!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Look's like a movie star? I thought he already was....... Wasn't he in "Back to the Future" 3 times?

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 1:02pm
oop's
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 1:03pm
He is Hollywood,and he's hanging around to answer your calls

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2011 at 10:58pm
I've got to have Keith lock up this thread!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2011 at 1:52am

WHAT????
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 1:22am
You can do my V drive next, and we'll set it up as a PPV movie for the guys at PN. Just think of all the money you'll make, you can step up to a boat made in 70's possibly even the 80's.

On a bit more serious note, I found with a bit of thinking and C clamps you can move the engine side to side. I haven't tried it on the Excel, but it worked great on my Commander. Once you get everything in place it's just a matter of 1/4 turns and it straightens right up without a bunch of over shoot. Didn't find any tricks to the up and down, I liked the counting turns and doing front and back. Not thinking about it like that is probably why it took a while.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

You can do my V drive next, you can step up to a boat made in 70's possibly even the 80's.

Don,
It's a great thought but not needed. The alignment principle is the same on a V and the year doesn't matter. The solid coupling, although not good from a mechanical engineering standpoint, has been used since day one in the boat industry.

The only difference on a V is getting down to the coupling. It's not fun!!!!   

BTW, when the tech talk was in the planning stages, we discussed a members boat we could use. I said it really didn't matter as long as I didn't have to use a V !!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 1:47pm
You missed the point, I was just trying to get the free alignment check because of the difficulty. By the way, I looked at the PCM motor mounts a little harder last night and I don't think the C clamp trick would work.
moonsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 5:28am
This is a great idea! I can't wait for a chapter on wet sanding, polishing, and fixing gel coat. Well done! Great speech Pete! Good paced and tone. I really like the visual aid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic