Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 2:07pm
Hi Guys,

I only used the boat a handful of times over the last few years, but I finally repaired my transmission leak.

I removed the reduction section (1.23:1) and replaced the output seal. Quite a process to remove the the flange from the spline on the shaft, etc. But everything is back together again.

I haven't used the boat again, and would like to check something...

How easy should it be to turn the output flange on the transmission? By hand - should it be really easy? Should I be able to spin it (i.e. it will keep rotating a bit if I turn it and let go)? This is with the drive shaft coupling disconnected.

It has some resistance, but I can turn it fairly easily by hand, but it won't "spin" after letting go. I just remember that before I turned in the reduction section bolts completely (there was still a gap where the RTV sealant was), it seemed to turn very easily.

Also, should there be some play on the output shaft/flange - if I pull it in/out? Just wondering if I should feel any play in the bearings - I don't feel anything.

I'm basically wondering if the bearings might be too tight... I installed with the same shims. Is it possible that something on the output shaft was disturbed while I was working on the output shaft/coupling?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Thanks,
Greg

1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2019 at 3:02pm
Greg,
From your description, I feel you are good to go. There's enough drag with the new seal that the output will not spin and that's probably the drag you are feeling. The test now will be getting it out on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2019 at 1:00pm
Cool, thanks. Will give it a go soon
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic