Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garage size minimums ??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TourPro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TourPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garage size minimums ??
    Posted: March-28-2011 at 1:56pm
Anyone know what size garage you can squeeze a 196 into with swim platform removed?

Just having house built and standard garage is 20' x 20'.

Thoughts?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by TourPro TourPro wrote:

Thoughts?

Inside or outside? Even if the 20 is inside and with a removable tongue on the trailer, it would be a real tight fit. You also loose about 3" due to the OH door being on the inside of the wall.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 2:46pm
I'm going to guess no. The boat itself is 19'6", even with a removable tongue I think the trailer is still going to stick out more than 6", and like Pete said about the door, it's farther inside than the wall.

But don't make any construction plans based off of what we say...go measure and make sure.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 3:09pm

Anyone know what size garage you can squeeze a 196 into with swim platform removed?

Thoughts?

20' x 20' might be the standard in Canada, but that is considered small around these parts. I think a "standard" 2-car garage is 22' x 24'. If your builder is saying that 20' x 20' is standard, do what it takes to go bigger. Trust me, your wife will be upgrading the kitchen, master bedroom, floor coverings, etc. Man-up and put up the scrilla for the oversized garage. I think 20 x 20 is fine, as long as you're measuring in meters.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

TourPro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TourPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 3:48pm
What's the minimum the 196 will fit into if it sits in there by itself diagonally? That was more the question.

In a sub-division there are maximums as well and the lot is only a 50 footer

Thanks for the input so far.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 4:06pm
What type of trailer do you have as they are all different? Swing away tongue? On my Eagle the tip of the trailer w/the tongue swung, to the tip of the boat is still I would guess 18-24".

A 20x20 is about 28' diagonally corner to corner.
TourPro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TourPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 4:22pm
I don't have the boat yet so I can't really tell you which trailer it's on.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 5:55pm
We have fit an 88 Ski Nautique with platform, no folding tongue angled in a 21' garage so you should be fine with your rig.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 6:41pm
40 x 80
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thoughts?

Inside or outside? Even if the 20 is inside and with a removable tongue on the trailer, it would be a real tight fit. You also loose about 3" due to the OH door being on the inside of the wall.

Yep that is the question. here in OZ the 20x20 is outside dimension.

I'm going to say that it won't fit straight in, especially if the walls are lined, but will fit on the diagonal. You probably won't even need to remove the platform. Just get youself a couple of pairs of those vehicle positioning jacks so you can move it around - you will definately need these with a tandem trailer.!

Make sure the trailer swing point is in line (not forward) of the bow.

Friend of mine had a malibu sportster. He had a sliging door on the other end of his garage to the outside. He used to leave it open & the platform would poke out.    Not overly secure, & we don't have to worry about freexing / heating issues here, but at least it was under cover - might be an option.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 11:57am
Chopper, also makes for warm winterizing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic