Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'84 Ski Nautique Shaft/Prop Combos

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jaynicie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaynicie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '84 Ski Nautique Shaft/Prop Combos
    Posted: March-18-2011 at 2:56am
'84 Nautique with 351 cu Ford, 1" shaft and 13 x 13 RH prop.

The prop and shaft sustained damage and I suspect a must replace the shaft. The prop can hopefully be reconditioned. If I do replace the shaft, is a 1 1/4" shaft an option?
What are the prop size options for the 1" and 1 1/4 shafts?
Where can I obtain a repair manual or at least instructions to replace the shaft?
Thanks is advance for your help.
JBird

JBird
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 8:45am
Jay,
I've never seen a repair manual for prop shaft replacement, strut/shaft/engine alignment. However, CCfan has lots of info on all in previous threads. If you can't find something, ask.

Stick with the 1" original shaft. Plenty of props for it and it will handle the load. Was there a reason you were thinking of going heavier?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 9:26am
Erics allignment thread

This should cover the allignment.

As far as the 1 1/4 shaft (Taking my screen name into consideration, I am no expert) I would rather have the drive shaft be the weak link than the transmission. I have read about prop strikes wrecking transmissions with the one inch shafts. Beefing it up would seem to me to just further jepordize the tranny which is far more expensive to repair/replace.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 9:57am
I hear a 2" shaft is the way to go...come on were in a recession
"the things you own will start to own you"
jaynicie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaynicie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:16am
Thanks Peter,
I will continue searching the wealth of info on CCfan for the info. I found the engine repair manual but nothing on the drive shaft.
The reason I asked about the shaft size was that I read a thread that stated the larger shaft diameter had more prop options.
Jay
JBird
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by jaynicie jaynicie wrote:

The reason I asked about the shaft size was that I read a thread that stated the larger shaft diameter had more prop options.

I do not believe that to be the case for a RH 1:1 set up.

If you were to swap to a larger shaft size, it would require you to replace the strut, shaft packing and possibly shaft log as well. They strut may have to be made custom. Either way, youd be looking at a very expensive upgrade.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I hear a 2" shaft is the way to go...come on were in a recession

Sorry Eric, I didnt mean to mess with a mans livelyhood.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jaynicie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaynicie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 11:33am
Thanks Eric,
That makes sense to stick to the 1" shaft as a buffer to any potential tranny damage. Your alignment thread is awesome!
Jay
JBird
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by jaynicie jaynicie wrote:

Thanks Peter,
I found the engine repair manual but nothing on the drive shaft.
Jay

Jay,
You will not find it in the manuals. By doing a forum search, you will find lots of threads on the R&R of the prop shaft.

If you do need a new shaft, I suggest the ARE system that uses a taper on both ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic