Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Hose
    Posted: February-28-2011 at 8:04pm
I'm planning to replace the 3.5" exhaust hose on my 1997 SN. The existing look to be original but I found they appear to have a fiberglass tube lining. I have been unable to find any reference to this type of exhaust hose and it's not available from either nautiqueparts.com or skidim. Does anyone know if this tube is intended to be removable or should I go with a standard softwall hose?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 11:46pm
So... I decided to cut open the exhaust hose from the riser to the down-tube. It turns out the inner-tube is not fiberglass but "stainless steel". Is this stock? Necessary? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 12:12am
subject picture
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2011 at 11:13am
I believe my 75 is either brass or copper but it's not stainless. If it is stainless, why is there rust on it or is that just from the rusted support wire built in to the old hose?
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:02pm
I'm a little embarrassed but finally figured out this is not a stock feature but another jerry-rig by the former owner. Why am I not surprised. It turns out, at some point the exhaust tube end at the riser collapsed and instead of replacing or fixing properly, someone with connections to Midas Muffler cut about 2.5" of the damaged end off and fabricated a steel sleeve on the end and put the hose over the top.

Although WakeSlayer will surely make another "straight pipes!!" comment, I decided to try to fix it figuring if it didn't work I would go ahead and replace. I started off using a rasp to rough up the surface and made cuts in the end of the tube so the fiberglass cloth and resin would better adhere.

I had to figure out some way of making a form but I couldn't find anything in my garage that would work with the 3.5" ID. I decided to use a convenience store soda cup from the recycling bin and some duct tape. 44oz. So far so good.

I mixed the resin, coated the end of the tube and cup with the first coat and applied one layer of cloth. I repeated the process until I had about three layers of cloth and resin.

1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:12pm
I would have liked to put a few more layers on but my resin was setting up quicker than I expected.

I took a break for a few minutes while it hardened up enough to rasp off the rough edges and removed the form cup.

I inspected it this morning and it was solid as a rock. Tonight I will put another couple layers on and coat the inside diameter with resin and hopefully buy the weekend, sand and paint.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:19pm
looks good
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:24pm
Brad,
I'm glad you figured it out and are doing the proper fix on it. Looks good! I couldn't figure out the sections of tubing you found!!

Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

I believe my 75 is either brass or copper but it's not stainless. If it is stainless, why is there rust on it or is that just from the rusted support wire built in to the old hose?

Scott,
400 series stainless will rust especially if not allowed to dry. It's commonly used for low end stainless exhaust systems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 2:29pm
So am I. The thing I can't figure out is, it would have been easier to do it the right way in the first place.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2011 at 1:22pm
I got er done. It turned out to be an easier job than I expected although I did have to play with it a little to get the outside diameter just right.

I think I already know the answer but should I use any type of sealant between the new hose and exhaust tube? I'm assuming no but just wanted to check
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2011 at 3:30pm
Confirming no on any sealant

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 1:52pm
Thanks Pete.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 4:07pm
looking good
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:42pm
Why not some die-electric "lube" so it will slide off easier next time?
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2011 at 5:53pm
I thought of doing that myself but when I got the new exhaust tube it already had a thin layer of what feels like silicone lube.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic