Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789>
Author
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If it sat in a field uncovered and now the foam is wet I have to ask,did you check the stringers?

I have inspected the stringers using the approved CCF format. I noted that the pine was totally absent and that 'ironwood' had been used in its manufacture. There were 2 areas that needed treating for 'water damage'

[QUOTE=must_dash]
Another reason the MG's were/are more popular was their history and the club scene,at least in the US. But now that they have been gone over 30 years here they are becoming a memory. And now that the Chinese are involved it's not even an MG anymore.
Is it easy to get parts for? Looks great in the pictures.

The nicest MG is the pre-US spec MGB with the chrome bumpers. They had to put the plastic/rubber ones on for the US market. In UK they also did a 3.5ltr V8 version, but it was a it front heavy.
Barchetta parts are OK, it is based on the original Fiat Punto and a lot of common engine parts
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 6:45pm
love top gear, my favorite was the show where they played darts with cars. A mans dream.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 6:52pm
Guitars and Barchettas...Rush Red Barchetta...love that song.
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

...Rush Red Barchetta...love that song.

+1 Andy

Tom,my wife bought a new B in '79. We got rid of it when we needed something for a growing family. It's still on the road,we see it at the local Brit car day every year. I bought and restored this A in '82 but don't get to drive it as often as I would like anymore. It was such a big project I have never done it again. I had a 55 VW to do after this but I was burnt out so we sold it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 10:13pm

+1 Andy

Tom,my wife bought a new B in '79. We got rid of it when we needed something for a growing family. It's still on the road,we see it at the local Brit car day every year. I bought and restored this A in '82 but don't get to drive it as often as I would like anymore. It was such a big project I have never done it again. I had a 55 VW to do after this but I was burnt out so we sold it.

Steve,
You see if Gary can do it, you can too. You need to get back on that project car of yours and stay away from collecting boats for awhile!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

+1 Andy

Steve,
You see if Gary can do it, you can too. You need to get back on that project car of yours and stay away from collecting boats for awhile!!

I love the A. I have a cousin in western Illinois who has a A that looks like yours. He drove it into the barn more than 40 years ago and there it sits, with a bunch of other collectable cars. They will probably be "barn finds" for someone sometime in the future. It undoubtedly has the issues that come with parking it for 40+ years, but it is remarkably original. It seems a shame that it is not enjoyed on the road any more.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 4:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

+1 Andy

Steve,

Pete, did you notice the year?   . '82   I used to finish a car in three months back then...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 1:01pm
well, my project is moving along quickly, its ended up being more of a fall project than winter. I figure I will have it totally completed by the end of november at the lastest. It is together and it does work and sounds pretty good. I still have more tweaking to do and the lacquer isnt fully cured yet but here are some pics.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2012 at 1:25pm
I have no pics of it but my Gibson bridge replacement went really well. Not bad for somebody who is not a luthier nor a woodworker. Intonation is perfect and the guitar sounds great. Lowered the action considerably and took some bow out of the top as well. Win-win.

Still sounds like a cigar box compared to the HD-28V but that's an unfair contest!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 11:18am
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2012 at 11:25am
I have seen that before, pretty cool, marty you going to make one?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2012 at 2:14am
Really not a "winter project" but, I FINALLY took time to start my welding table this weekend. First project with my Miller 211... Still have more to do on it, but at least it is usable.

Was going to build completely from scratch, when a contractor told me about his industrial pallet shelving he wanted to sell, $50/ unit. Had to weld the upright legs to the base, but worked great!

A friend gave me a sheet of 3/8 diamond plate... my son cut it to size , 72" long x 33" deep. Also had him plasma cut the "X" in the left half of the top for clamps. Bought a set of 5"x2" casters (rated 1,000 lb each)from ebay

These pics show the clamps (bought at good 'ol Menards) in the slots...

Still have to mount a vise. (thinking strongly on a receiver to make it removable). Also want to add clamp storage, power strip, removable welding screen on back and both ends, etc.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2012 at 9:08am
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

This is my winter project.

Just acquired for next summer, a 1997 Fiat Barchetta, a 1.8ltr classic Italian design sports car.
Barchetta means 'little boat' in Italian. It was collected from the previous owner on the Martinique trailer. Took the beds off, laid some ladders on the frame and some planks on these so it could be driven on and off.

It has been abused by previous owners, but nothing terminal that TLC can't sort out.

Tom, can you keep a look out for one of these,we are looking to pick one up in Northern Italy but 2 would be better to fill the van...also need a left hand door viewed from the front.....a 5th wheel model would be cool 64 to 67 like this one.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2012 at 9:45am
I can ask around. I don't recognise it do you have a model etc?
Is condition important, or is it as a project.

Can you drive these in the UK?
1986 Martinique - sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by must_dash must_dash wrote:

I can ask around. I don't recognise it do you have a model etc?
Is condition important, or is it as a project.

Can you drive these in the UK?

Tom, yes you can drive in the UK its a Paiggio 500 D the 500 is the Kg it load there are 250,500,750 kg engine is 125cc or 172cc......more pictures of different body types.... no I'm not doing the US truck.... the fire tuck is the right year type the other is a 59 to 64 which is ok too.
yes more projects.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 8:34am
Just bought a Hobie cat 14 to fix up, not sold in the US market at that length anymore. I won't be thinking about gas prices when on the water sailing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Just bought a Hobie cat 14 to fix up, not sold in the US market at that length anymore. I won't be thinking about gas prices when on the water sailing.

Steve,
If you run into any problems or need parts, Billy is the guy to call. He still uses "hobiedr" for his email address.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 9:45am
You can still ski behind it... I have skied behind a Hobie 16, OK it has the jib, but should be possible behind a 14. You basically start in the water on the windward quarter and the Hobie behind you so it can start on a broad reach and sail an arc round you to keep the rope tight. If it's windy enough the Hobie has the speed to be on the plane before it has to pull you.

Good luck and photos....
1986 Martinique - sold

DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 11:22am
Thanks Pete, Billy, as in BoatDr from Louisiana? He has helped with my CC.     As for water skiing behind a Hobie, I have seen it done, never tried myself. It's rough, no wake cut so it's wavey, as to do it it must be windy. My 14, has a jib, I used to have a Hobie 16 years ago, wanted something smaller, easier to right. They are not expensive as its old and sailing seems to be not too popular here in my area anymore. There are many Summer afternoons when the wind, tubers, and boats have chopped up the water and riding around in the CC is not terrific.    Pete, I was in Madison WI last weekend, brought home a bunch of Carr Valley cheese.
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 2:06pm
I have started on waterproofing the Barchetta and have removed the door to roof seals as they have split. The obvious answer is to replace them but they are nearly $1000 for a set of 6 in the UK for new and obviously there are secondhand ones around and they are about $320, and these will be old as they stopped production in 2005.... So repair is needed.

Does anybody have any ideas on fixing them or are there companies that can refurbish them?

the tear shown goes through both sides. Somewhere in the past a repair has been attempted with superglue. This has split again as I think superglue doesn't flex enough for the seal

1986 Martinique - sold

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 3:16pm
I know nothing about refurbishing weatherstrip or rubber components. I would think that you would run into the same problem you have due to the age of the rubber. I have bought new weatherstrip / seal for several cars and $1,000 for six pieces sounds very pricey to me. I am really unfamiliar with the Barchetta, but many cars use the same weatherstripping / door seals. Here is one of the companies that markets them for aftermarket and restoration. I believe I have used them in the past, but there are several companies that make this stuff, so I'm not sure. Good luck

Weatherstripping and welting

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 3:43pm
if you can get a cross cut section of it   it will help the suppliers identify it ,   you may find it interchanges with other car manufacturers
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 3:51pm
The profile looks normal, it is the construction that differs. each piece has a thin metal backing. on the rear is moulded a 'C' section that slides over part of the hood frame, the front is a normal hollow '0' shape. The front and back sections also have ends mounded onto them.

UK prices are:
Approximate current prices are:

Front Top: £130
Middle Top: £140
Rear Back: £160

So to replace all six seals will cost you £860.

A rear replacement screen will cost you £880

A new vinyl hood with screen £1760

The front screen to side window seal will cost £261

I will get pictures tomorrow, however this ebay pic shows it
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=261108138200
1986 Martinique - sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 3:52pm
You might want to try here also- seals+direct they were the only ones I could find to help me with the seal I needed for the boats glass
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 8:00am
These is the shape of the seals, basically looks like a normal profile with various end caps bonded on.

1986 Martinique - sold

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

I would love to see pictures, my father in law has a 16ft hobie up on elk lake, MI. We go every fourth of july, its fun. It usually ends with us flipping it.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

In addition to finishing the Mustang, I am taking my 89 Turbo GTC in to have my Quaife limited slip differential installed. I hope to borrow a set of slicks and improve my ET to under 12:70 ( I have only taken it to the strip once and made 5-6 passes on street radials). Unfortunately, it won't be back in time to do it before the strip closes at the end of October.
Steve is not alone. I buy Fords, drive a GM, and race a Chrysler. I will change to Ford for my next car if my present one ever wears out.

John that car is pretty! I had a black GTC turbo drop top that was a rough puppy. The first pass I ever made down the track was in my 88 CSX-T. Sadly I let her go to someone who could finish it and enjoy it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 12:37pm
My project has expanded. I had built a small 3 watt tube amp a few years ago but never built any encasement for it, so I decided to make a little mini stack out of it. So far I have the head unit boxed and routed, and the cabinted framed.

The speaker cab is a little bit of an unusual experiment for a guitar speaker. I am going with a dual ported closed back design. We will see how it sounds. The frame is solid 3/4 solid pine and the baffle and rear panel will by 13 ply baltic ply. Here is what I have so far. I ordered some tolex samples that will come with week so I can decide how to cover and the speaker I got a is a celestion vintage 30 frame custom treated by bad cat.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

John that car is pretty! I had a black GTC turbo drop top that was a rough puppy. The first pass I ever made down the track was in my 88 CSX-T. Sadly I let her go to someone who could finish it and enjoy it. [/QUOTE]

I believe everyone in the Shelby Dodge Auto Club secretly pokes fun at my "chick car" behind my back. The band Cake has immortalized the LeBaron in their song "Short Skirt Long Jacket" with the lyrics "she's changing her name from Kitty to Karen, she's trading her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron". Last year my car was chosen for one month's photo on a calendar for the club. The information printed on the page was my name as owner followed by "1989 LeBacon Turbo GTC". I thought it was a misprint at first, but I found that they had renamed it the LeBacon because men love bacon, a feeble attempt to make the car seem masculine.
The CSX is more to their liking, there are a lot of them in the club, several even have the original Shelby "fiber ride" wheels. They range from original to very modified, and some are quite fast. it is surprising to some how many of these cars were made and the following they have. Back in the 80's not much performed better than these 30MPG toys.
SDAC gathering 2012
I believe your LeBacon was a little different than mine. The 89 Turbo GTC only came in white or red, and they made a total of 906 of them. They had 2.2 liter intercooled engines without balance shafts, a 5 speed Getrag trans, and 4 wheel disc brakes, among other differences. This one is an original "survivor" except for the top and some bolt on engine mods.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2012 at 3:18pm
That sure has to be the ultimate "sleeper" John
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789>
  Share Topic