Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marinised PCM/Ford

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Cactus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marinised PCM/Ford
    Posted: February-10-2011 at 10:51pm
Evening - Does anyone know if Ford is permanently out of the business with regard to marinised gas V-8's? I believe GM builds a good power plant; however, we are a long standing Ford family. I've recently run across Ford's new Coyote 5.0 which pushes over 400HP without rocket fuel or the use of a supercharger/blower! If Correct Craft dropped a Ford based engine in their new, 200 closed bow we would probably buy one. Thanks - JJO
Cactus
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:04pm
Now I could be totally wrong but it is my understanding that Ford never actually did the marinising. They made the parts but then somebody else marinised it. I have a 1973 Waukesha 302. Even though most of the parts say Ford on them, the engine is considered a Waukesha. There was also a Holman Moody 302 available that year.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Cactus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 11:20pm
Your absolutely right! Holman Moody built some incredible engines and as I understand it, most marinised American V-8's weren't done by the big three over the past 50 years or so. (I'm fairly sure Chrysler may be an exception to the rule?) but, jus the same I'm curious if we might see the new Ford based engines back on the water....
Cactus
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:17am
Ford is totally out of it. I believe the entire gas inboard and sterndrive industry is GM at this point.

There are some other makers for diesel (like Volkswagen!!) but for gas, GM is it.

Of course, the majority of boats belonging to people on this site are Ford powered, but they're mostly the older ones.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 3:24am
At some point, the current GM based blocks won't be made anymore, kind of like how Ford quit making pushrod motors, and that ended the 351W based PCM marine use.

At some point, GM will stop making pushrod v8's as well, when that happens, maybe we can get ford's back in. The new 5.0 and 6.2 motors are one serious set of motors, but you never know, maybe we will have supercharged v6's at some point.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Now I could be totally wrong but it is my understanding that Ford never actually did the marinising. They made the parts but then somebody else marinised it. I have a 1973 Waukesha 302. Even though most of the parts say Ford on them, the engine is considered a Waukesha. There was also a Holman Moody 302 available that year.

Keeg, don't forget my Palmer!
-Adam

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:20am
Cactus - This looks like an opportunity for you! Got 10 or 20 million $ to invest in a startup venture?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 12:48pm
Both Ford and Chrysler were in the business of marinizing motors- though Ford has been out of it since the 60's. Their marine division was called "Interceptor".

For whatever reason, Ford decided to stop building the Windsor motors altogether in the mid-late 90's. The last 351w PCM's (GT40) were sold in 2002. GM, on the other hand, continues to produce the venerable 350, despite no longer offering it in their cars. It was probably much easier for the aftermarket marinizers to concentrate on the existing, proven GM pushrod engines rather than start designing and tooling up for unproven Ford OHV engines.

I would not hold your breath for a new Ford powered 200!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 11:18pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj]
For whatever reason, Ford decided to stop building the Windsor motors altogether in the mid-late 90's. QUOTE]

As late as '99 you could still buy brand new 302 blocks for 279.00 from Summit,should have gotten one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Cactus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 12:52am
     I would be willing to invest! "which wouldn't amount to much when considering what it would take to ramp-up a project like this, but I would certainly jump at the chance to be a part of it"....I think at some point these modular engines will have their problem weaknesses/(missing low-end torque) resolved and there will be a real future in investing in a marinized Ford aluminum small-block given their light weight to power ratio) (Thanks to GrandPoobah) - I do recall the "hot-rod" Ford Interceptor engines powering the late sixties Century inboards among other manufacturers of the era!
Cactus
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Both Ford and Chrysler were in the business of marinizing motors- though Ford has been out of it since the 60's. Their marine division was called "Interceptor".

For whatever reason, Ford decided to stop building the Windsor motors altogether in the mid-late 90's. The last 351w PCM's (GT40) were sold in 2002. GM, on the other hand, continues to produce the venerable 350, despite no longer offering it in their cars. It was probably much easier for the aftermarket marinizers to concentrate on the existing, proven GM pushrod engines rather than start designing and tooling up for unproven Ford OHV engines.

I would not hold your breath for a new Ford powered 200!

The reasons for ford dropping the pushrods are plenty.
less NVH, less emissions, better fuel efficiency, and the list goes on.

I guess the bigger question is why GM is still using pushrods?

While they don't make the 350 in many cars, as most are the 5.3 or 6.0, the 5.7 350 is still used in some vettes. In any case, the blocks are basically the same for mounting of driveline items.

The cost of tooling is what really did the ford marine motors in. The OHC (not OHV) ford motors are well proven in the auto industry, as the 4.6 OHC motors had been used since the mid 90's in T birds, crown vics and mustangs.

I wouldn't be shocked if many of the old 350 marine motors parts would bolt up to a new 5.3 or 350.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

While they don't make the 350 in many cars, as most are the 5.3 or 6.0, the 5.7 350 is still used in some vettes.

I wouldn't be shocked if many of the old 350 marine motors parts would bolt up to a new 5.3 or 350.

Tom, you may want to stick with the Ford stuff! As far as I know, the Corvette started using the LS series engines in 1997. Or by "Vette" maybe you mean "Chevette"? Perhaps GM still sells those in Mexico or something?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:59pm
Pushrod engines offer a lot of advantages over overhead cam engines. The main ones being less weight per hp and overall simplicity. And heh, no timing belts!

I remembered this Car and Driver article from a ways back and was able to find it again. The basic argument that Larry Webster makes, is that everyone makes a big deal about the better hp/displacement made by overhead cam engines. What no one, except GM in this article, ever thinks about is that pushrod engines offer greater hp/overall engine size and weight:

Pushrod Gets Its Due
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 9:26am
aftermarket chevy crate engines are a very large market, and i would think the sales boomed once Ford got out, just about every gas powered boat out there now is Chevy...I think the cast iron 5.7 will be out there for a long time
"the things you own will start to own you"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Cactus Cactus wrote:

Evening - Does anyone know if Ford is permanently out of the business with regard to marinised gas V-8's? I believe GM builds a good power plant; however, we are a long standing Ford family. I've recently run across Ford's new Coyote 5.0 which pushes over 400HP without rocket fuel or the use of a supercharger/blower! If Correct Craft dropped a Ford based engine in their new, 200 closed bow we would probably buy one. Thanks - JJO

Ford did not fare to well with marinizing their modular platform. of the 5 5.4 ford/PCM naturaly aspirated motors that we ran for longevity testing 3 failed in a catostrophic manor. At that point Ford saw the writing on the wall Chevy was dominating the marine market. Had Ford started devolpment of marine versions from the onset of their modular infancy i think that they still may be players but with the failures late in the game Ford pulled the plug on ford Marine.
The Supercharged units we ran were absolute beasts and ran with no failures at all.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

aftermarket chevy crate engines are a very large market, and i would think the sales boomed once Ford got out, just about every gas powered boat out there now is Chevy...I think the cast iron 5.7 will be out there for a long time

And inexpensive, too. A friend recently bought a new GM long block, non vortec for about $1,500. How can they turn out a new motor for that price?
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:37am
You can still buy Ford crate engines from Ford and Roush. All it takes is a phone call and $$$.

Ford
Roush
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:01pm
Gm 350 blocks are below a grand on summit racing.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 4:25am
Ski Dim sells a Brand New Engine/Transmission Bundle to replace a Ford Right Hand and 1:1 with a Chevy Left Hand and PCM 1.23:1.

Ski Dim Bundle

It's funny that they do it with the 5.0 instead of the 5.7 but I guess 275 is more than the original. I wonder how the performance would compare overall with the better gear reduction tranny.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 9:16am
mass production, all the tooling is in place and has been for years, its a matter of getting orders to build them. sht, they've been casting that same configuration block since the 60's. all the up front costs are a thing of the past. so basically at this point all thats needed is material and labor which most of the labor has probably been replaced with some type of automation, which automation is cheaper than mexicanation
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 2:49am

While they don't make the 350 in many cars, as most are the 5.3 or 6.0, the 5.7 350 is still used in some vettes.

Tom, you may want to stick with the Ford stuff! As far as I know, the Corvette started using the LS series engines in 1997. Or by "Vette" maybe you mean "Chevette"? Perhaps GM still sells those in Mexico or something?

I'm not even a chevy guy, but ls1 and ls6 motors came in 5.7 liter displacement in the corvette (or chevette LOL)and in camaros.

Looks like the LS series motors (2 and 6) WAS available as a 5.7 liter until recently(2004), then the larger displacement LS motors came out for 05.

So, while you are correct about new vettes not having 5.7's, the 5.7 was available well past 97 as you thought. Granted it's an all aluminum motor and nothing really like the cast iron 350's most people think of.

Serious advantages that the OHC motor has over OHV pushrods is that the OHC motors provide better flow capacity, less friction, and the use of a sophisticated variable intake and exhaust timing.

Also, not all OHC motors have timing belts, as some have chains.

Unfortunately too many OHC motors have timing belts. My 4.2 v8 audi has a timing chain, but our 4.7 v8 4runner has a belt. All the ford modular v8s and the new 5.0 and 6.2 have timing chains too.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:18pm

Looks like the LS series motors (2 and 6) WAS available as a 5.7 liter until recently(2004), then the larger displacement LS motors came out for 05.

So, while you are correct about new vettes not having 5.7's, the 5.7 was available well past 97 as you thought. Granted it's an all aluminum motor and nothing really like the cast iron 350's most people think of.

Tom, youre backpedaling. I never said anything about the "5.7".

I said 350. The LS1 was a clean sheet redesign in '97 and was 346ci.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 12:38pm
I worked at a Cadillac dealership service dept., briefly in Fall of 2010.

Anyway, a lot of the SRX's with the overhead cam V6's and the timing chains used to have problems. I guess the chains would stretch and then trigger the cam position sensor.

This one guy was like an expert at changing them. It was literally like watching a factory robot, he was so efficient at it. The chain stretch situation made a lot of dough for that guy. I've gotta say though, after watching him do a few of them, I'd still have a hard time doing it myself. It was a complicated job.

I think the Escalade 6.0s (similar to our PCM 409hp) were pretty bulletproof. I believe they were really just an evolution of the 5.7. I saw Escalade's with all kinds of problems, although it was largely just the chrome wheels failing and becoming porous. Never any problems with those engines.

I've got to say though, the Ford OHC 4.6s are also pretty bulletproof. Any engine that can survive in a cop car earns my respect. I thought it was cool how they used to use two 4 banger distributor caps, one running off each cam. I thought it was a really elegant design. Not much room for slop or wear without bevel gears.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 2:49pm

For whatever reason, Ford decided to stop building the Windsor motors altogether in the mid-late 90's. The last 351w PCM's (GT40) were sold in 2002. GM, on the other hand, continues to produce the venerable 350, despite no longer offering it in their cars.

Tim - I thought Interceptor was a brand name owned by the Eaton Corp, who took the Ford block and completed the marinization. Perhaps, they completed the conversion by taking the Interceptor engine (FORD used that brand name on T-Birds and police cruiser) added the dearbo transmissions and delivered to boat manufactures. I guess I am not sure of the proces...

Isn't that basically what all the marinization companies (like PCM) do today, take a mostly generic engine and adopt it (replacing and changing parts) for marine use? If so, perhaps there is some other reason driving the decision to only use GM as the foundation, Availability, Consistency (defined as no changes from year to year to year)? All the inboards I am familiar with are Ford Powered, so I would like to see PCM or Indmar pick up a FORD, but like you said not likely. Wonder why.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] Both Ford and Chrysler were in the business of marinizing motors- though Ford has been out of it since the 60's. Their marine division was called "Interceptor".

For whatever reason, Ford decided to stop building the Windsor motors altogether in the mid-late 90's. The last 351w PCM's (GT40) were sold in 2002. GM, on the other hand, continues to produce the venerable 350, despite no longer offering it in their cars.

Tim - I thought Interceptor was a brand name owned by the Eaton Corp, who took the Ford block and completed the marinization. Perhaps, they completed the conversion by taking the Interceptor engine (FORD used that brand name on T-Birds and police cruiser) added the dearbo transmissions and delivered to boat manufactures. I guess I am not sure of the proces...

I am probably incorrect also, if Tim posted, it's fact. But with my dealing with a few of these Y Blocks, I too have added a bit of knowledge.
My understanding is this:
Yale/Eaton produced all the components of their marinized Interceptor engines.This was no small task for any supplier.The base engines were supplied by Ford and then modified to each customer order.
The 312 was offered in a CW and CCW rotation, my Collegian came w/CW.The engines were in such high demand that you were happy to get what you could.The Interceptor/ Yale/Eaton re wrote the book on modern day marine power.

For example on my 312 the custom pieces consist of:

Complete tranny assy.
Exhaust manifolds
Oil Pan
Raw Water Pump
Timing Chain Cover
Intake Manifold
Thermostat Housings /Port and Starboard
Complete Flame Arrestor/ Breather Assy/ Lifter Valley Cover

Each piece has it's own part number cast into the surface.Remember we are talking mid 1950's work ethics here, git er done......
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Remember we are talking mid 1950's work ethics here, git er done......

Back when America was GREAT!!!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 6:51pm
Eaton is still a huge company, but Interceptor Marine Engines and Dearborn Marine Division aren't even a footnote in their history.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 1:22pm

Tom, youre backpedaling. I never said anything about the "5.7".

I said 350. The LS1 was a clean sheet redesign in '97 and was 346ci.

Not backpedaling at all. If you want to argue semantics, go ahead.
350's are known as 5.7's. While the 97+ vettes were 346 CI, they were still known as 5.7's.

It's a bit like how the old pushrod 5.0's were technically 4.9's because they were a couple of tenths under the .5 rounding up scale. There already was a 4.9 I6.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I worked at a Cadillac dealership service dept., briefly in Fall of 2010.

Anyway, a lot of the SRX's with the overhead cam V6's and the timing chains used to have problems. I guess the chains would stretch and then trigger the cam position sensor.

This one guy was like an expert at changing them. It was literally like watching a factory robot, he was so efficient at it. The chain stretch situation made a lot of dough for that guy. I've gotta say though, after watching him do a few of them, I'd still have a hard time doing it myself. It was a complicated job.

I think the Escalade 6.0s (similar to our PCM 409hp) were pretty bulletproof. I believe they were really just an evolution of the 5.7. I saw Escalade's with all kinds of problems, although it was largely just the chrome wheels failing and becoming porous. Never any problems with those engines.

I've got to say though, the Ford OHC 4.6s are also pretty bulletproof. Any engine that can survive in a cop car earns my respect. I thought it was cool how they used to use two 4 banger distributor caps, one running off each cam. I thought it was a really elegant design. Not much room for slop or wear without bevel gears.

Yep, those issues are one reason the SRX was taken off my list of cars that I was looking to replace the grand cherokee with.

The v6's had the chain issues, and northstar powered ones have their own well known issues.

I think GM has tried to stay away from OHC motors for as long as they can because they can't seem to make a good one.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Isn't that basically what all the marinization companies (like PCM) do today, take a mostly generic engine and adopt it (replacing and changing parts) for marine use?

That's exactly what marinization companies do.

I would not rule out ANY manufacturer of engines ( or motors even )because of this.

The E- nautique has a motor that was meant for non marine use, and simply marinized.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic