NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique 2001 w/425HP

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique 2001 w/425HP
    Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:12am
What in this engine kicks it from 330HP to 425HP? Was this made specifically for ski shows? It's pretty rare for a 2001 hull, unless your name is Joe.

425 HP HO Ski Nautique 2001
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:16am
the broken or missing bowl in the sea strainer maybe?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:29am
One would think that 10 minutes with a shop vac and an hour or so with some seat cleaner the boat would appear as though it was somewhat cared for.........
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:37am
I have my doubts.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:43am
Ken,

I heard about this boat through mike. 05 210. I believe when Mike was dropping his boat off for the season he spode with the owner of NECC. He told me it came in on a trade from someone who upgraded. Mike told me that the owner of NECC had planned on keeping that one in their personal vault and not selling it. I guess everyone has their price!

I am pretty sure has some knowledge of the history on this motor. I know that the motor is not a reverse rotation motor like most other CC's so that is the first way that this thing is capable of the 425 hp, by making it more realistic for CC to drop off the shelf performance parts into the motor. I am pretty sure it has rectangular ported heads vs the peanut port heads that your "330" hp 454 came with.

Because of it being a standard rotation motor they probably used a bigger cam and some slightly higher compression pistons.

95 hp sounds like a big increase from a numbers stand point but these bbcs make hp pretty easy with some basic improvements that PCM should have made.

It would be interesting to know exactly what changes were made. But I bet a nice pair of hi-tecks, and a full roller set up would take this beast to a whole new level.

Sounds like a good starting point for Joe...buy it up buddy!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:46am
stringers should be address before even touching the engine!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:48am
Didn't the BFN HO 454 have 390hp?
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:55am
PS: Id want to see some paperwork before buying this thing at that price based on just saying its a 425 HO motor.

After staring at that motor over and over again I dont see any differences between the 454 in my boat and this one

Not even an intake manifold difference...
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:56am
Thanks, Eric. The boat reminded me of yours for a moment, but yours is definitely cleaner! You would think somebody would have kept much better care of this boat, especially being very rare. Joe would have a field day upgrading this engine. He'd get another 100+ HP out of it.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:58am
That's what I'm saying. There's no visible difference in my opinion. I figured it would look rare, just as much as it is rare. Sweet looking engine, Eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 1:01am
By the way, they advertise the boat as a 1986. It's a 1985. Minor detail...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 1:05am
I was thinking the same thing also ken that it was an 85. Based on the interior and the dash. Good eye.

My boat is definitely cleaner but no where near as clean as your 86. Id like to be the first customer at "Kens Boat Bath"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 9:45am
the merc 390 hp came with big ovals, brass aluminum coated intake and roller rockers...if i remember correctly, it still had flat tops in it...im sure the power came from that combo and the cam
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 9:47am
the age old question, why did CC put a lefty in this boat? point being lefties are acceptable?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 10:01am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

the age old question, why did CC put a lefty in this boat? point being lefties are acceptable?

For the price of a gasket set I may find out how a lefty wants to act someday. Time will be the limiting factor.

From the reading I've done, a roller cam is a big part of the HP equation. So spend 2K+ on a custom roller cam or spend less adjusting the hook and have a world of parts to choose from? I wonder if anyone here knows the production differences on the RH vs. LH boats?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 12:24pm
Mike also mentioned this boat to me... I believe Craig Warner (the dealer selling the boat, formerly NECC) was the one who originally installed the HO 454 in the first place. If he says its HO, then it probably is. A LH prop would be a good clue though.

Im a little surprised not to see a slightly taller intake or a dual feed carb on there. One would think that motor would require more than 650cfm to breathe. I thought all 4150/4160 carbs larger than that had the dual inlets instead of the transfer tube between the front and rear bowls.

The topic of the 454ho has come up a few times on here. PCM only published the 390hp figure as far as I know. I wouldnt doubt 425hp, as that was the common output of the GM LS6 crate motors, which I believe this motor shared a lot in common with. Basically, it consists of rectangle port heads and an intake to match, along with a decent sized cam and 10:1 compression. Im assuming that the larger cam is what made it a LH only engine. I believe most (if not all) of these engines were dealer installed- so Im not sure what the factory's stance was regarding rotation vs. hook in the hull.

Id like to drive that boat just to see how it behaves. I dont doubt it would be good for ~55mph if its a true HO though.

Greg, roller is definitely more efficient than flat tappet, and it will also allow for greater ramp angles- so they can definitely make more power... but I dont think the number is huge enough to justify dropping $2k+ on a custom roller blank. Especially at the power levels we're talking (~1hp/ci). Flat tappets can still make big power. That being said, if you go forward with that project (custom roller) then let me know- perhaps there are some economies of scale that would affect pricing on multiple cams?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 4:05pm
Again from reading(and studying the posters), it seems like the roller cam is maybe not all that by itself, but more of an enhancer for a given set of performance parts. The RC lets the other parts 'be all they can be'?

I really don't know...yet. I'm also not going to put that kind of money in a custom cam. What would be fun is, like you said, drive one and see. I have most of what I need to build another stock engine, and then the tale would be told.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 5:29pm
I think Tim hit the nail on the head. Kinda small a carb for 425 ponies!
Currently I am building a high reving 427 with big oval closed chamber heads that will require at least a 750 CFM double pumper to feed it and it will be right at the 500 hp.
More than likely hype, is Craig selling the boat?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 6:25pm
Craig is selling the boat- so if he says its a HO, I believe him. Strange about the carb though... our BFN basically had a HO combo (LS6 long block with the baby RH cam) and it liked the 750cfm just fine.

Greg, like I said, a roller will have a longetivity and slight performance advantage over a flat tappet- but Im guessing the difference wouldnt be tremendous at the relatively tame power levels we're talking about. Custom cams should almost always be selected last, as their purpose is to optimize the other parts relative to the goals of the build... and that is true whether youre talking a flat tappet or roller.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2011 at 11:46pm
As far as outright performance, a roller cam won't make a huge difference over a non roller cam.

That carb does seem small and single feed w/ transfer tube seems like it really is not proper for a motor with that much supposed hp.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 3:19am

Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Mike told me that the owner of NECC had planned on keeping that one in their personal vault and not selling it.

Apparently his personal vault has a hole in the roof.
Do you try to sell your car without at least running it through the car wash?!!? The condition of the rims on the trailer alone would be a deal killer for me!
-Adam

1973 Skier
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 3:47am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Mike told me that the owner of NECC had planned on keeping that one in their personal vault and not selling it.

Apparently his personal vault has a hole in the roof.
Do you try to sell your car without at least running it through the car wash?!!? The condition of the rims on the trailer alone would be a deal killer for me!

I said he mentioned that he " might " keep it. Not that he was planning on it.
   No holes in the roof over there

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 4:11am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I said he mentioned that he " might " keep it. Not that he was planning on it. No holes in the roof over there

Mike

Ohhh...Eric must of misquoted you, I read had "planned on keeping it" not "might keep it"
Well that changes everything, now I understand the boat's condition. Eric, could you be more careful in the future
-Adam

1973 Skier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 7:45am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 9:37am
I'll have to add, I did borrow a carb off of those 390 hp BBC's to install onto a 5.7, the carbs were identical (merc obviously) it appeared to be in the 600/650 cfm range.
I think the 10:1 comes from the closed chambered heads also???speculation

Jodi. i have a pair of 427 heads and intake, do you remember your casting numbers? been saving them, for a rainy day. btw, Bob 440-667-6438, he is the guy with the Casales
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 11:25am
I would love to see the top speed of this boat. I bet with a few mods, it would be flirting with 60MPH.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 11:26am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I'll have to add, I did borrow a carb off of those 390 hp BBC's to install onto a 5.7, the carbs were identical (merc obviously) it appeared to be in the 600/650 cfm range.
I think the 10:1 comes from the closed chambered heads also???speculation

Jodi. i have a pair of 427 heads and intake, do you remember your casting numbers? been saving them, for a rainy day. btw, Bob 440-667-6438, he is the guy with the Casales

Eric, I did do a casting number research but can not remember what the numbers were and I do have two seperate casting number heads though the results were the heads were consistant with 68-69 396/427 360 hp Corvette, they are currently at Cylinder head service here in PC getting hardened valve seats new SS valves and new valve springs I am putting it in my Rayson Craft as a superstock class correct motor. Thanks for the numbers on the Casales I will give him a call.   
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 1:54pm
In my opinion, some buffing of the hull and some scrubbing of the interior, this will make a nice starter boat for somebody. Great conversation piece. I don't think it will last long!

I would love to hear this thing fire-up. Must have a unique exhaust tone, being a HO motor.

Ken
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I said he mentioned that he " might " keep it. Not that he was planning on it. No holes in the roof over there

Mike

Ohhh...Eric must of misquoted you, I read had "planned on keeping it" not "might keep it"
Well that changes everything, now I understand the boat's condition. Eric, could you be more careful in the future

?? Not sure I understand where you're going with this Adam. I was just clarifying what Craig told me when he got the boat. When he told me he took it in on a trade I asked him what he wanted to get for it and he said I'm not sure, I might hang on to it. Apparently,he has decided not to and I'm not really surprised. He already has several CC'c that he does not have time to use.
I do not think that his decision not to keep it has anything to do with the boat's "condition". I felt that Eric's post may have made some assume that he is not keeping it because of some issue with the boat, and I don't think that it was intentional on Eric's part at all, so I wanted to clear it up.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 2:38pm
The best BBC casting number archive Ive found is Mortec.

Gottaski said he skied some 2001's with the HO 454. Some had regular 3" exhaust with muffs, others had straight piped 4". This one appears to have 3".

Once you start approaching 1hp per cubic inch, youre going to start needing some pretty serious (and expensive) modifications to gain large amounts of hp. To pick up the 75+ hp that would be required to push this 2001 to 60mph (as evidenced by Joe- and the BBC would have a weight disadvantage over his 408w small block), youre not talking "a few mods"... at least not simple (or cheap) ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic