NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3 vs 4 blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2010 at 9:17pm
Jody, What do you think about my application, 13x12 or 13x12.5?

I've been considering a different prop for our Malibu Sporster. It has the 310 carb engine. Manual states red line is 4800. It turns 5050 with even 3 people in it. It's got way more hole shot than it needs. I'm thinking a little more prop would be just as good or better all around and may increase top end slightly and better fuel economy for cruising. Does that sound right to you?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 11:42am
Bruce, if I were you, Id be tempted to try the 13x12.5. It should knock down the RPM's closer to 4800, not kill the holeshot and probably increase top end a touch. It will turn a few less revs at all speeds, which is nice. I assume youve got a 13x12 Acme on it now?

Jody, we havent water tested the boat in its latest configuration yet, so I need to baseline it before buying anything... just trying to figure out if OJ offers an XMP in the 13x14 range or not. In 2009, we were spinning the Acme 1598 (3-blade 13x14, .080 cup) 5200 RPM and seeing about 56mph. The Acme 612 (3-blade 12.5x15.25, .105 cup) turned about 4900 RPM and pushed the boat the same 56mph. According to the dyno software Alan ran for me, we'll be going from 370hp @ 4500 RPM to 455hp @ 5500 RPM. Below 3500 RPM, the power curves look very similar- the new motor will just pull quite a bit longer. The boat also lost 500-600 lbs with the new structure.

The goal will be to get the most top end out of the boat as possible. The 13x14 Acme had a decent holeshot that should only improve with the weight loss. I would imagine that propping down further would put the RPM's through the roof- but I can always do so temporarily if we need to pull something out of the ordinary. Im not sure how many RPM's we'll pick up with the changes we made, but my best guess is that we'd like to spin right up to the 5500RPM power peak. Im guessing that the 2 props we have should put us in the ballpark... but more options are always good to have. Im not looking for an exact recommendation at this point- just trying to determine what else I should try when the time comes, as Im curious how an OJ would compare. Maybe I should give Eric a call and see what they have available to try.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 12:34pm
Riley what is on the boat now? And what did the boat come with? If you are happy with the current performance but feel the revs are to high you may want to consider adding some cup to your existing wheel.

Tim I am sure OJ has a prop for ya but with the amount of extra HP you might want to consider going to steel racing/high performance under water gear. Going over the 60 mph mark with stock brass componets may be a recipe for disaster. Though keep in mind I did run my flat in the 80plus range with brass under water gear! But!!! No more! As far as propellers go you may need something as high as a 15 pitch but when the time comes just let us know what you feel you want and we will make it happen,at least get you some product to try out and play with.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 12:44pm
Jody, whats the danger with the brass components? We had all the hardware off the boat and Ive been cleaning up the castings a bit as the pieces go back on.

I guess its not clear to me- does OJ make anything in their XMP line right now on the range of 13x14? RH 1" shaft, obviously. I know Eric made something custom for Joe's stroker, but that was a cast prop. The CNC's are so much smoother that Id prefer to stick with one of those- but Im not opposed to trying other options.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Jody, whats the danger with the brass components?

Jody , I guess Tim has never seen nor had the good luck to "chunk a blade" at speed.Not for the faint of heart, insert enough HP and NiBrAl will fail. There is a lot going on under the water that we never see nor think much about , TILL !!!!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Jody , I guess Tim has never seen nor had the good luck to "chunk a blade" at speed.Not for the faint of heart, insert enough HP and NiBrAl will fail. There is a lot going on under the water that we never see nor think much about , TILL !!!!!!

Nope, I certainly havent. Are we more concerned with speed, RPM (prop) or HP?

While we're well beyond the stock numbers in all 3, I didnt think we were really pushing the envelope in terms of what has been proven to be safe and reliable, at least enough to be concerned. The biggest question mark I see is the hull dynamics- though nothing strange was happening at the speeds we were seeing previously (mid-upper 50's). We are certainly taking care to make sure all the running gear is straight and in good condition- the strut is new and the rudder port and a tracking fin have been replaced with good used parts. All castings have been cleaned up and are being carefully aligned during install.

If there is an unwritten rule of thumb that we'll be up against, please let me know!

Doc, are you running special underwater gear on Karen's boat?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 4:36pm
Tim I am not sure what the Barefoot 454 motors were rated at maybe 330?? a little more. But if your calculations are in the 470 hp range spinning a prop at 5500 RPM then some reinforcement and re-thinking about your project may be in order. I know I would not run a Nibral wheel with those numbers. I would also at least reinforce my backing substructure that my strut is fastened to.

This one would be rather overkill but I hope you understand.
Kinda like putting 500hp in a car that came with 300hp and not doing anything with the stock rear end. At least on land when the drive train goes away the car stops and we walk away. Ever throw a blade on a prop at High RPM?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 4:53pm
Wow, that's quite the set up there. I guess those guys probably got it figured out when they build those dang things!
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

For comparison's sake on blade area, here's my old Acme 541 next to a comparable OJ XMP 13x12. Acme has a throwing star thing going for it.

I see these are left hand unless the picture is inverted would any of the two be for sale provided they were left hand? And not Gold plated! LOL!!!

They are left hand rotation. The Acme conveyed with the sale of my old MasterCraft and the OJ was on loan from Eric so that I could run a little side by side comparison with them back in 2005.

/edit. Just caught the "plated" joke. Well played, sir!
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Acme's are sort like clever blades. Did you notice any difference between the two?

Yes,

In short, the Acme was better out of the hole, but had a bit firmer pull. OJ held speed slightly better in the turn, but lost a bit of grunt on the hole shot. In OJ's defense, Eric recommended the 13x11.5 for my application, but I wanted to compare similarly spec'd props.

Did a little write up when I did this.

Prop Comparison

To add to my post above, at each blade's widest point, the Acme was approximately an inch wider than the OJ.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 6:27pm

Tim I am not sure what the Barefoot 454 motors were rated at maybe 330?? a little more. But if your calculations are in the 470 hp range spinning a prop at 5500 RPM then some reinforcement and re-thinking about your project may be in order. I know I would not run a Nibral wheel with those numbers. I would also at least reinforce my backing substructure that my strut is fastened to.

Kinda like putting 500hp in a car that came with 300hp and not doing anything with the stock rear end. At least on land when the drive train goes away the car stops and we walk away. Ever throw a blade on a prop at High RPM?

I think the builder expects that motor to live at very high rpm's, very nice. Dry sump motor, shaft mounted rockers with their own oiling circuit, what kind of numbers does that thing put up?

My brother in law runs a 7 liter hydroplane, 468 in., small carburetor, 13 or 14:1, turns nearly 8000 rpm's. Other boats in his class turn over 8 grand. 8-9 hundred hp. direct drive 12 x 24 ish props,
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:06pm
I certainly haven't seen a prop let go so I'm far from experienced on it...but wouldn't it only be a factor of RPM, and not HP/Torque applied to the prop. I would think the new CNC props are designed to handle all the torque you can give them, and they would just start slipping before coming close to breaking.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:09pm

Most BFN's came with the 330hp 454, a handful with the 340hp 460, and some with the HO 454 (390-425hp), though Ive never seen one of those with my own eyes. With a 600+ lb overweight, soggy structure, bent fin, misaligned powertrain (riding on the log as it turns out!), severely pitted rudder port and tweaked strut, running up to 56+ mph was a pretty mundane event. We've fixed the issues with the running gear and solidified (and lightened) the structure, as well as added a handful of hp up top. Id love it if our changes gave us a handful of mph and an improved holeshot, but Im not expecting to see 70mph or anything.

Ill ask again (because I dont understand!), is it the HP (or perhaps torque), speed or RPM (presumably prop RPM, not engine RPM) that I need to be concerned with? Or is it some sort of combination? I dont believe Im entering into unchartered territory, but perhaps I need an education. There seem to be plenty of ski boats with equal or more hp (Python powered Nautiques and 6.2L Malibus come to mind) that have more cubes and torque with comparable hp to what Im planning to be pushing- and those run nibrals. Billy and Alan have both spun their 330-380hp SBF's 5500+ RPM with nibrals. Those 2, as well as Joe, Reid, Marshall, etc have all flirted with the 60mph mark, all with nibrals. I dont *think* Im flirting with disaster at 455hp @ 5500 RPM, but I could be wrong. Im not opposed to trying other props- got any suggestions on what to look for and where?

As far as the strut "underlayment" goes, I assume youre referring to the hull? The bottom of the keel had a pretty beefy layup, but we reinforced it with 3+ layers of biax nonetheless. It is also getting an aluminum backing plate/bracket for the steering clamp.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:16pm
Number of blades can have as significant an effect here as material selection. My experience is that the 3 blades significantly flex and lose efficiency somewhere about 375hp on my sn. If it is flexing enough that it is slipping significantly more then fatigue failure is certainly a concern. The 4 blade props start off less efficient but hold thier shape and therfore work better for the higher hp applications. A three blade steel prop would be a welcome upgrade, particularily on a boat that was "light" enough be able to be able to live with less blade area. A problem has been that the 3 blade steel props are typically giving up too much in terms of all around ski boat performance compared to the cnc props to take seriously for my application. For high speed only considerations on a well powered barefooter I too would be surprised if you couldnt do best with a 3 blade stainless prop of appropriate pitch...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:25pm
Torque and rpm both have a say, rpm makes the blade want to fly off.. bigger (size and pitch) blades and the torque to turn them causes the flex that reduces the ability for the blade to hold on when the rpm makes it want to fly off. I dont really worry about my 4 blade nibral prop that I turn with my engine running at 6k rpm.. but my prop is only turning at 4900 rpm.. you are talking about a running 3 blade with 33 percent more loading per blade and running higher prop rpm... starting to push it..

I hate to talk about any of this on this thread because the original poster really would likely be most happy with a an appropriately sized 3 blade cnc nibral prop..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

A problem has been that the 3 blade steel props are typically giving up too much in terms of all around ski boat performance compared to the cnc props to take seriously for my application.

Joe, you hit the nail on the head- thats really my main reason for wanting to stick with a CNC nibral ski boat prop, if possible. As much as we want to see every last mph wrung out of this thing, we still plan to ski with it regularly- so Im really hoping to find a prop that does everything well. Of course, Ill try anything- but a prop that doesnt ski well would likely only get put on the boat for reunion speed runs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 8:53pm
Tim Just trying to help with a little caution, The water gets like concrete over 60 and anytime maijor performance gains are to be had in a boat always second guessing and second or even third re-measuring for saftey sake is necessary. You mentioned Python motors but like Joe pointed out they are spinning 25% less then motor RPM at the prop. 5000 plus RPM I would not try and spin any nibral but to each their own. Glad some beefing up around the strut was done. I am not sure where the thinking that just because a prop is a cnc it will be less likely to self destruct and let go, remember they start life as a casting just like any other nibral prop and can have wrong material % cast in them also. I have seen ACME as well as Federal and OJ loose blades. But a Steel prop is far less likely loose a blade at those kinds of RPM's.
I think if you are building a 470 HP 454 motor it kinda throws skiability out the door, will it not? High idle to compensate for the cam lope, fuel consumption will increase. Dont get wrong I think the build is cool as hell but 470 HP in a direct drive for skiability? Your not going to find a prop that does every thing well but will find a prop that you can live with under most conditions.
Any way when the time comes that you want to experiment let us know and we will send you product, if you dont like it send it back! Is the shaft on your barefoot 1" or 1.125? Either way I am sure we can get you into a C&C wheel if that is what you want.
Cheers!

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2010 at 11:13pm
Yall confuse me. I was thinking switching to a 4 but everybody on here said stick with the 3. Go with the 3. Now yall are saying 4. Huh! Have to rethink here then.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:05pm

You mentioned Python motors but like Joe pointed out they are spinning 25% less then motor RPM at the prop. 5000 plus RPM I would not try and spin any nibral but to each their own.

Hence my repeated questions above! Sounds like its the prop RPM that I need to be concerned with above all else (hp, tq, speed). Like I mentioned, there are several guys here (Billy, Reid, Alan) that are turning 5000 RPM or more (prop RPM). I guess Ill find out if 5500 causes issues or not when we launch!

I am not sure where the thinking that just because a prop is a cnc it will be less likely to self destruct and let go, remember they start life as a casting just like any other nibral prop and can have wrong material % cast in them also.

I made no such claim- I want a CNC for the skiability and smoothness. I have no idea if Ill have strength issues with it or not. Ive got a 14x16 SS OJ (3-blade) that I really didnt care for on my '90... maybe I should consider getting it cut down for the BFN?

I think if you are building a 470 HP 454 motor it kinda throws skiability out the door, will it not?

I sure hope not. Comp says I should still idle ok. The powerband below 3000 is really very similar to what it was before the new cam/exhaust/etc (370hp @ 4500 RPM), all the newfound power is above that point- so with the weight loss, holeshot should improve (assuming I dont need to put on a wheel with a bunch more pitch to keep the revs in check).

Any way when the time comes that you want to experiment let us know and we will send you product, if you dont like it send it back! Is the shaft on your barefoot 1" or 1.125? Either way I am sure we can get you into a C&C wheel if that is what you want.

Sounds good! We've got a 1" shaft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Yall confuse me. I was thinking switching to a 4 but everybody on here said stick with the 3. Go with the 3. Now yall are saying 4. Huh! Have to rethink here then.

You need to re-read this thread. Very few people would recommend a 4-blade for your application.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:12pm

You need to re-read this thread. Very few people would recommend a 4-blade for your application.

Skicat, how and what for do you use your boat?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

We already had this discussion 2 years ago.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:52pm
I grabbed this quote from the above mentioned thread:

I always wanteds to see a comparison between the 542 and the 4 blade 208...

I already have the 208 and I'm happy with the all around performance, but I don't know anything else, my boat came with it. I use it primarily for open water slalom and occasional wakeboarding but no ballast.

Are you likely to see the same kind of really eye opening difference going from a 4 to a modern three blade that you would see going from an old 3 blade to a modern 3 blade? With equivalent pitch etc.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Are you likely to see the same kind of really eye opening difference going from a 4 to a modern three blade that you would see going from an old 3 blade to a modern 3 blade? With equivalent pitch etc.

No, it is not likely to be eye opening. Of the 1.23 props Ive run, the 3's are measureably better, but the CNC 4's are also very good.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:57pm

Buy a 4 from Jody immediately!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 12:59pm

We already had this discussion 2 years ago.

Beware not becoming another "Mr 69 I own all topics" this is a common question when selecting props TR. stay cool.

I have the 3 blade 542 on my 80' SN and it performs very nice, but for finer wakeboard use I dont think it's the right wheel for 2 reasons:
1- Low rpms at boarding speed, throttle is not responsive. (2400-2500rpms)
2- stern too deep into water at boarding speed, dont get a nice wake shape, unless you like steep wakes. Need lots of weight on the bow.

This is being very picky about driveability and wake shape, for general use the 540 and 542 would be just great.

That said, I'd like to try an uncupped 4 blade 11.5'' pitch or a 11'', but again, that's just me.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 1:00pm
My main question is which one out performs the other. It doesn't matter whether I myself is going
For a cruise, or having a ski day with a couple of buddies or pulling my nieaces on the tube. Which blade out
Performs the other.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 1:02pm
Which color is better, red or blue?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 1:03pm
what was there first, the chicken or the egg?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2010 at 1:05pm
Tim, thanks for the feedback. I don't want to miss out on any performance improvements that would make sense, but $$ comes into a play a little bit too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic