NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'98 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '98 Sport
    Posted: November-21-2010 at 8:32pm
I'm looking at a '98 Sport Nautique. I've asked questions about Sport's before, but primarily focused on '89 to '97 Gen 1 and 2 Sports. The boat appears to be in great shape, I've emailed and talked to the owner and it sounds like a well maintained boat with 670 hours.

It has the carbed 290 HP 5.8 HO. Would I regret this over the injected 310 HP GT-40?

I've asked enough questions to have a sense of how a '93-'97 Sport skis. The '98 has the same dimensions but a different hull, does it ski any better or worse than a '97?

Thanks in advance for any info!

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2010 at 9:45pm
We had the 290hp motor in our 1998 Ski Nautique. I thought it was a great motor and we never had any dramas with it. Ours was probably a litte under propped though, and tended to rev high.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 1:42pm
The owner said he went to a smaller prop to improve holeshot, and max speed is 42 mph, the original prop was faster. In the end he said holeshot was slightly improved but not a huge difference. My guess is the boat needs a different prop, but he didn't give me the details of prop specs of wot rpm.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 3:05pm
Forget trying to make sense of what suspect information you have.

A 98 Sport with 290 hp. Is this enough for what you plan on doing with the boat? The only real question is how far down you *might* have to prop it to get you out of the hole with your given boat load in order to get up to whatever speed you need behind the boat.

Sounds capable for everything except barefoot endurance racing. I have not skied a 2GN Sport but I wouldn't expect 98's slalom wake could be any worse.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 3:19pm
98 is better slalom wake than the 93-97 Sport. Flatter and softer (It is the TSC1 hull after all).

With a lot of weight the 93-97 can put up a better wakeboard wake than the 98. But, I've argued many times, too much is made of a "better" wakboard wake. Most people can't handle big, giant, world class wakes. The 98 Sport can put up all the wakeboard wake needed by the vast majority of wakeboarders.

I have owned two of the GT-40 boats and have always been pleased with the power and reliability. Doesn't mean the 290 won't work. Just means I liked my GT40s.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

98 is better slalom wake than the 93-97 Sport. Flatter and softer (It is the TSC1 hull after all).

BKH, have we been able to positively confirm this? Ive read it many times and repeated it myself, but it was brought to our attention not too long ago that the 98+ brochures make no reference to the TSC hull on the Sport/Air. Jody commented on PN recently that while the 2nd gen Sport went through a few deck changes, its running surface remained essentially unchanged from 94-01. I thought that was interesting and hadnt seen anything with my own eyes that would cause me to question it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:16pm
You know Tim, you are right. I don't think I have ever read anything that confirms 98 Sport is a TSC1 hull.

I do know that I was specifically told that it was in 1998 when I was looking to buy a new boat and eventually settled on a 98 Ski Nautique.

I have since skied and wake boarded behind 98 and 99 Sport Nautiques as well as Sports of the 93-97 vintage. I personally concluded that the 93-97 puts up a "better" wakeboard wake, and that the 98/99 had a smaller and softer slalom wake.

Who knows. I'm a hack at both wakeboarding and waterskiing. Perhaps it was just in my mind. Perhaps since I thought it was a TSC1, I thought it was a better ski wake.

Any who . . . . .

BKH
Livin' the Dream

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:18pm
TR could be right...did the sport hulls change? I just looked at a few pics of my buddy's old 95 compared to our new 2000...don't see a diff...

although any difference would be under the boat.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

So there seems to be some discrepancy on whether or not a trailer intended for a 1999 Sport Nautique will fit my '93 Sport. I have read the brochures and manuals in the reference section and they list both years as having the same length, beam, draft and weight. here is the letter I just got back from Owen at Boatmate:

Hello Randy,

I should have sent you a message letting you know that I haven't made progress confirming whether or not a trailer for a 1999 Sport Nautique would fit your 1993 Sport Nautique. I've tried researching the forum, brochures and manuals available at correctcraftfan.com, but nothing I've found makes me confident that the trailer will fit perfectly.

I've talked to the two CC "experts" that I know. Both are adamant that the hull changed between 1993 and 1999, but they are not certain that the hull change would affect the trailer fit. They both think that the bow eye location changed and that the bow stop for the 1999 SN would not be the correct height for the 1993 SN. The "expert" in whom I have the most confidence says that CC used the same trailer for the 1993 SN and the 1993 Ski Nautique and that the trailer had an adjustable bow stop to account for the 18" difference in boat length. I have the fit for the 1993 Ski Nautique, but I'm not confident I can "stretch" the trailer 18" and come up with a perfect fit for your boat.

To summarize, I can build you a 1999 Sport Nautique trailer or I can build a 1883 Ski Nautique trailer stretched 18". I can not guarantee that either on will fit perfectly. I have attached a photo that shows the basic form that this trailer would have.

Let me know what you think. I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a better answer for you.

Best regards,
Owen E. Shelton
BoatMate Trailer, Inc.

Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Steve Jones who has his '98 Sport listed in the diaries and was able to confirm for me that the placement of the bow eye is the same on the '93-98 SPN and the '98-2002 SPN.

I think they are different, I could have sworn I've seen 98-99 Sports with a TSC decal on or near the side of the windshield. I'd feel a little let down if the sticker is a lie. I do believe the SS/SAN hull is the same as the 93-97 Sport. A few detailed hull pictures might solve this.

I think I can see the taper change but it's rather subtle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If the hulls are not the same I'd be disappointed in CC slapping the TSC sticker on the windshield.

Kind of like how the 85-90 BFN was labeled "2001"?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 6:38pm
The Hull changes were very minimal to the later Sport 98-2001. Chine cutout was changed as the boat had a tendency to drop in and run not so flat in a turn as did the early super sport . Also a flatter shaft angle was was introduced that year that helped the slalom wake. A 98 Sport makes a great slalom boat provided that the boat is kept as light as possiable. Start getting three people and a skier in the boat and all their gear and it has a rather rough bump at 34/22off and the longer line wake is biger then a SN but still better than any other boat in it's class for that year. 28/32 off and top speeds the boat is dream to ski with,35 off their is a slight trench in the middle of the wake but is very managable. Spray is non exsitant at all line lengths.
BKH is very much on the money about his statement concerning overweighting the boat.
If the price is right and the boat is clean and you want it then pick it up!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 6:48pm
In some of the pictures just posted one can look at the last two feet of the slant back vs the later trunk model's that is pretty much the area where changes were made to the wetted surface, along with the flatter transom. I dont doubt that we put TSC decals on that boat as acronims were the rage!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 7:06pm
I put the feelers out for this measurement on the 93-97 hull. I'll snag it off PLBC's 99. I'll bet it's a good 5" difference.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 7:23pm
Yep! Thats the chine cut out area! That Area caused the some funny business when turning in the early version pre 98.
you have not lived until you take a sawsall to a perfectly good ski boat and make a change. Cool!!! I remember the winter of 97 we were taking our test mule Sport to the lake every day and every night some subtle change was being made to the trailing edge to see if it made any difference on slalom skiability. Someone during that time had it in their head we could make a tournament boat as good as a SN out of the sport.
At least when we cmae out with the trunk version you could put a 68" slalom in the trunk where a 66' barely fit in a SN.
Notice the platform got smaller on the latter Sport?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 7:28pm
Why is the platform so much smaller? I wish our 2000 sport's was bigger like the old ones.

(I'm sure this will get put into a signature at some point)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:13pm
In the 98 Sport brochure it states "Correct Craft has added a small step in the port and starboard chines. This step enhances slow speed maneuvering without changing the wakes shape."

Is this just marketing speak? Or is it the tweaks they made to the newly introduced Air hull in 98 that Quinner has mentioned in another thread.

I am putting more trust in the man on the floor building these boats (Jody) than the marketing department knowing what is really happening on these hulls.

I have a interest in this subject as my 98 sport should be arriving in the next few weeks.

Hollywood the earlier hull does look narrower but is it just because all the other angles have changed due to the new rounded transom. Thus producing a optical illusion of it being narrower. Will be interesting to see how the measurements compare.

Jody did they build new moulds or just modify the 93-97 moulds?

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Hollywood the earlier hull does look narrower but is it just because all the other angles have changed due to the new rounded transom.

The earlier hull in the back is wider.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 8:35pm
Hollywood looks like Jody has confirmed that it is narrower. I was typing my post and got distracted by work so I missed Jody's post before I posted. (I hate it when someone rings in expecting me to work while I am getting updated on what happened overnight on CCfan).

Jody was there a reason for the smaller platform. Wake shape? Or was it just to save a few trees.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 9:42pm
Because of the rear trunk area new molds were produced as it would have been a nightmare to try and adapt the newer transom in the exsisting mold. In reality the width of the boat overall did not change except where the chine cutouts were. The relase points on the trailing is indeed somewhat narrower. Some may think that what I consider small changes in a wetted surface to be a totaly new hull but the entry and basic shape did not change. As for the platform on the early trunk model being a little smaller it was addressed in the last couple of years. More emphisis was put on the deck change and the amount of room and storage.
Still the Sport is a very fine ski machine and will provide for a great experiance either behind the wheel or behind the boat. A lot of the ideas off the sport transfered over to the 216 as the Sport was fazed out.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2010 at 11:06pm
"If the price is right and the boat is clean and you want it then pick it up!!"

Well, reading the info here is a huge help, sounds like a boat I would love. It looks clean from the pics, talking to the owner made me feel very comfortable with how it's been treated. It has 670 hours, Monster tower, trailer in good shape, couple of covers. Owner is asking 18 grand. I don't know if that price is "right", my problem is it's about 4 grand more than I had intended to spend as a maximum, so I have to think about it a bit.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 2:46am
David $18K sounds a bit high for a 98 especially this time of year. If the boat was in really good shape I would say $14-16K.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 2:46am
I have seen much better deals. I know of a 2001 Air/Sport Nautique, with the GT 40, and tandem trailer, less than 500 hours, asking price was 20K and I am sure it can be had for less.

The one you are looking at may be a good boat. In my humble opinion, it it not that great a deal. BKH
Livin' the Dream

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 3:24am
I think you both are right, and was thinking along the same lines. It is worth something to me to hear the story of how the boat was maintained, you can tell when you speak to someone how they approached it, what kind of attention to detail the owner took. But, hard to put a number on that, and it's not in my back yard either.

I've expected/hoped to spend 12-14 thousand on a '93-'97 Sport. As I look at the design changes and listen to the comments here, I know I'd like the '98 a lot, but I just can't spend that much on it. I might make an offer and see if the owner is willing to part with it for a few grand less.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 12:11pm
Family just bought our 2000 Sport 75th Anniversary for X. It has 75 hrs on it.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 3:57pm
That looks like an incredible buy. I haven't found any deals that good over the few months I've been looking. I expected some to surface as fall came along, but still haven't seen what I'd call great deals on Sport's. It seems like there are a lot more closed bow Nautiques, and a ton of 2001's, but not a lot of '93 up Sports for sale.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 4:14pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

That looks like an incredible buy. I haven't found any deals that good over the few months I've been looking. I expected some to surface as fall came along, but still haven't seen what I'd call great deals on Sport's.

There seems to be a bit of Nautique drought in New England. I was having that conversation with bkhallpass the other night. He was saying they can be plentiful in CA, I know there's a lot in the South East.

Someone should start addressing that issue. I'd think there could be money to be made as long as transport costs could be managed.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

'96 Sport for $11.6k

'99 Air Nautique for $12k

'97 Air Nautique for $15k obo

Thanks Tim! I'm sorry to ask this again, I know it's been covered but I can't keep it straight. Is a '97 Air Nautique the identical boat to a Sport Nautique? And, is a '99 Air Nautique the identical boat to a Sport Nautique? I looked at the brochures and am still not completely sure.

On the '96 Sport, he says the interior is rough. Should I figure around 2 grand for a new interior?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2010 at 9:37pm
With direct drives typically the "Airs" are sports unless of course they are "Pro Airs", which 99' - 01' or 02' had a different hull (TWC).

Regarding price, My neighbor just picked up a really nice 98' for quite a bit less then 18k FWIW
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2010 at 12:28am
On the '96 Sport, he says the interior is rough. Should I figure around 2 grand for a new interior?[/QUOTE]

I have an email with pics from the guy who was trying to sell this boat. It is from a couple of months ago and the interior looked extremely rough. I can send it to you if you want. History was that he bought it in the spring of this year from a guy in Jacksonville, FL and found a deal on a 02 Super Air and didn't need two boats. I tried to get the Hull ID from him, but he never sent it. I was going to use it to get a quote from Christine's for the interior. I lost intrest as I really wanted a super sport or super air. But, I would plan on replacing all pieces of vinyl in that one.

Another site to search for these boats is www.onlyinboards.com I remember there being a beautiful sport nautique up in michigan back when I was looking.
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic