Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Repair - wet sand - outsource it?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel Coat Repair - wet sand - outsource it?
    Posted: November-12-2010 at 11:40am
I have several chips on the gel coat chines that need repairing and I have several holes on the top deck left behind by the previous owner having mounted two whip antennas on the bow and stern as well as an FM car antenna.

I have a quote for $600 to do all the gel coat repair from a professional svc. up near Lake Lanier and another $1,400 to wet sand, buff, & wax the outer deck, hull sides and transom.   I know a lot of you will advise to do it myself but I just don't have the time or experience with this and I want it done right.

So - a couple of questions:   Does this pricing sound reasonable? Does anyone know of others that do this locally? Should I also have them remove all the painted stripes and lettering and have it redone?   From previous posts I have read that CC used rustoleum paint for the base and then air brushed the outer edges. How do I ensure the painted fonts are done correctly?   I want this done right the first time and want to avoid issues around it not looking completely original.

As always - the advice and recommendations here is always great and much appreciated.

Oh, I have no problem trailering my boat to a shop outside of my area to have it done right and at a reasonable cost - hopefully before the River Run!!!!   
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 11:43am
Oh - one other thing. I am considering removing the stern railing and ladder while I make these repairs. I want to avoid the ski rope from getting caught up as well as being able to have the whole transom to put the new boat name on without having to put it on either side of the ladder!
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 1:14pm
Heres a link to a similar story...I'm sure you've seen it by now.

As for wetsanding and buffing.....for 1,200 bucks?!......do it yourself.

Theres plenty of info here to coach you through doing this job correctly. Do a search for hawktique's thread on wetsanding.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 1:20pm
Here are a couple good reads if you haven't seen them. 1 - is a great graphics resto and description. 2 - is just a bunch of novice questions I asked about the wetsanding/buffing process. Hope these help.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 2:31pm
Dave, the issue I always seem to have when having ANY work done to my boat is that you just never know who you can trust. Even if you trust them, does their definition of "quality work" mean the same thing as yours? Especially when doing something cosmetic like this. Also, what does the label "professional" really mean anymore? I understand your desire to want it done "right," but if your like me, finding the person that is:
capable of doing the job right
willing to do the job right
honest AND
reasonable
is very difficult to find.
I wetsanded one of my previous boats and while the job was probably not up to the standard of some on this site, it looked as good as what I think I could've paid somebody to do it for. This comment isn't a direct answer to your question, but the prices listed above come to $2K just to make it look better. Man, you can buy alot of tools, beer and boat gas for that kind of money. Plus you may end up with a better job than what these guys are quoting.
Just my $02 FWIW
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 4:04pm
2000...id roll with it and upgrade the boat myself..wetsanding takes forever , hence the high prices. i would just buff n wax myself.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

.wetsanding takes forever. i would just buff n wax myself

Not given,
By hand yes, with power equipment no.

A buff and wax won't do the job if the gel is highly oxidized.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2010 at 7:58pm
Yes, I agree with Pete, it all depends on what degree of wet sanding a boat needs... With a white hull, usually only 1200, or maybe 1000 max. If your down to a one pass or two pass, then the pop happens immediately with some compound and a foam pad with a finishing paste...

Many times the 3m cutting compound is all you need.. Key is to start with the least you have to do.. In your case, I sure would try it first before investing $2G...

Plenty of guys have done it here... Plenty of reference to do it right..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 9:34am
to think i burned thru a Cadillac hood yesterday cause I was BShtin with someone, half my life is spent behind a buffer....pay someone to do it and go sit at the bar
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 10:29am
Eric,
You're supposed to buff first and then go to the bar - not the other way around!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 11:58am
Lots of good advice here and you've given me quite a few angles to consider. Since my boat was always kept under cover the 3 months of use it got each summer and spend every winter in a garage, the gel coat is pretty glossy with no oxidation.   It has just yellowed a bit.   I am guessing that I could get away with either one pass of a very fine wet sand then compound and buff it back up to its original bright white.   

So, with all the back up here on the site I believe I am going to try and do this myself.   I am hoping I can source some boat stands or dolly (anyone have a solution I can borrow locally?).

Since one of my priorities is to remove the whip antenna bases and have the holes filled on the top deck, I am going to remove all the top deck hardware have at it.   If all goes well, I will move onto the transome and sides and a good bit of the bottom around the chines.   Once I have this completed, I am thinking of trailering the boat up to Murphysboro TN to Donny Bennett (I read great things about his work and spoke to him yesterday) to have him repair the gel coat chips and fill in the top deck holes from the Previous owner.

I am also considering having him fill in all the holes from the stern rail and ladder as I think it will be a clean look and then I can put my boat name across the transom rather than either side of the ladder that is cut off to accomodate the swim platform.   Thoughts?

I have always loved the transom lettering on the Ski Nautiques that reads:

Correct Craft
Championship Ski Boat

I wish I could put that on the back of my Southwind but I really can't in good conscience.   

However, what are your thoughts on putting this on the transom:

Correct Craft
     Championship Fun Boat
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 1:34pm
Just make sure you do the wet sanding/buffing before you do the gel repair (or at leawst try to color match). The gel's color will change from wetsanding.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2010 at 2:13pm
David,
I don't think anyone will be surprised on where I stand on the transom graphic. Stick with the original - the Southwind never was classified as a championship ski boat. That class ties into rules/regulations and certification by the AWSA.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 12:11am
Pete - I agree - I would never try and pass this off as a "Championship Ski Boat" but it might be fun to go for the "Championship Fun Boat"!!!

However, I will probably remove the stern rail and ladder and put a good name on the boat honoring my triplet boys.   

Triple Play
Three of a kind
My Three sons

Any ideas?
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4

lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 12:54am
Salty,
I just picked up a 86 that has been sitting in the Florida sun for two years. I have never wet sanded before, I picked up my DA sander and my weed killer sprayer and some 320 from 3m and 1200, Went real light with 320 and 1200, Boat really looks good will buff tomorrow, The gel is already slick. But I would like some advice on the fixing the holes. The PO liked to park it on the sand and it has fiberglass showing in the front.
Thanks
Mike
Lakedog55
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

However, I will probably remove the stern rail and ladder and put a good name on the boat honoring my triplet boys.   
Any ideas?

Dave,
The naming of our boats has come up several times. It's up to you but the general opinions have been names on boats belong on wood hulls or yachts. Not meaning to stereotype (even though it's inevitable) but it seems it's a different group that names their boats. The best spot to see them is at the boat ramp. In many cases the names will be "off color"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 9:32am
threesome?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 9:33am
xxx   is that that chromosone for boys? or YYY
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 10:42am
To remove the stern rail and ladder or not to remove the stern rail and ladder - that is the question.

No Correct Craft graphics on the transom - no name - keep it original.

Now to find the time to remove everything off the top deck and try my hand at some light 1200 and buff it out before having someone fill in the holes and fix the chines.

I need to also remove the tank, clean, repair or replace the anti siphon device, install all new fuel hose, fuel pick up, etc.    Guess I can then remove the swim platform brackets when the tank is out and do a great job of bringing the transom back to shinny shape!

Repack the rudder seal, remove shaft and install a new cutlass bearing and install a dripless shaft seal.

Oh, and mask off and paint the yellow stripe and lettering with Rustoleum "Sunburst Yellow" and airbrush black!

While I'm at it, I may go ahead and paint my trailer with the same yellow to match - its going to be a busy winter!
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic