Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 7:01pm
At this point I dont blame you. I hope these things fit properly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 12:02pm
Archie just called and said the skins did ship yesterday afternoon. I should have them around wed next week.
jepoole17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jepoole17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

I have about 3 or 4 od the wooden bases I need to rebuild, either partially or completely, everything else was in good shape.

Chris - any chance you could share a few pics of your wooden seat bases ,either in thread or email form? I'm looking to build out an '89 rear seat and a fellow CCF member (TimSpangler) is doing planning to build the rear and observer's seat in the next few weeks. Any pics/tips would be helpful before we get going on our builds.

Can't wait to see your interior when it's all done.

Thanks!
- Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 3:08am
Sure, I have the wooden bases for the cushions only, the part that sits on the floor is all plastic on my 89. If thats what you need I'll get some pics this weekend.
jepoole17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jepoole17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 11:35am
My mistake Chris, I assumed you were talking about the floor pieces and didn't have the molded bases. I can't speak to what Tim needs, but you don't need to post pics of the seat backs for me. Thanks though.
- Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 9:58am
Got home last night and there was a "delivery notice" in my mailbox for a large parcel from Copycat. I left instructions to redeliver today so hopefully I'll have them in hand this afternoon.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2011 at 12:26am
Now hope they're as nice as they looked in the pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2011 at 4:39pm
Got them unboxed yesterday. Initial impression is good. The material seems to be good quality, stitching looks good. Hopefully ill start testing it for fit this weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 11:57pm
Spent most of yesterday working with these. I still have the motor box and the sides of the Captains chair left, everythign else is done and so far so good. Hardest pieces so far have been the curved backrests from the corners of the back seat and the observers seat. I have a few wrinkles in those, I got better at gettign them out as I went and can probably make them look better if I decide to redo them.

anyway, heres some pics.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 12:23am
You had a busy day, looks like they sized them pretty well. All in all I would say nice job, especially for not having done them before. the back corner back rests are a real bear. The learning curve part is frustrating, you know so much more when you have finished the last piece than you did at the start of the first one. I can understand the temptation to go back and re-do some, but I would caution against it unless one is really bugging you. It is difficult to reapply skins after the waste has been trimmed and staples have been removed. they just get more and more fragile. If you think a little more stretch to a small area would help go for it, but be carefull with removing the whole thing. I figure a wrinkle or two in trade for the money saved is not a bad deal. Congrats on the nice work.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 12:44am
Looks great so far!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 1:03am
Thanks guys. You can really see the wrinkle in that last picture. That was the first of the curved pieces I did and is the worst one. I figure no one will notice once its installed and in use.

I got a tip from a guy on my local boating board, he suggested putting the skins in the dryer on low heat before install to help soften them up and make them easier to stretch. I must say, that worked amazingly well. Between that and the plastic on top of the foam, most of them slid right into place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 11:19am
Neat idea using the dryer to heat the skins, of course I have also seen the dryers ability to turn one of my wifes sweaters into barbie cloths. A guy can move a million loads of laundry successfully into the dryer, but turn one sweater into a postage stamp and the story will be retold for a thousand years.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 1:47am
Captains chair

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 2:20am
Very nice, that was the funnest piece for me. I did mine in the winter before I ever had a chance to run the boat. I spent some time with the seat on a storage tub just sitting and dreaming.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2011 at 10:00am
The side bolsters on that seat were kind of ornery, I removed staples, tested and re-did more on those two pieces than I did on the rest of it combined I think.

But I did want this one to be as good as possible, after all it is where I spend most of my time when I'm in the boat.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 12:33am
Looks good Chris!
83Ski
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 12:34am
When my skins arrive I should just send it all down to you.
Anything else fresh in your mind in the tips department? The clothes dryer was great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 11:01am
I basically used the seams as guides. Make sure they line up and are straight and then stretch everything else as well as possible.

Dont put too many staples in at the beginning, use just what you need to hold the material in place until you are sure that you have the position correct. You might have to pull them out and reposition.

Having the skins warm and easier to stretch is a must, Plastic over the foam helps the skins slide on easier as well.

Thats about it, its kind of like wrapping an odd shaped Christmas present. You try to cover everything and put the ugly part on the bottom (where you trim/staple)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 11:02am
BTW, can someone psot a picture of their motor box with the black plastic hinges? I'd like to see how the hinges are mounted in relation to the outer layer of vinyl. Do they go through the outside of the vinyl but are covered by carpet? How about on the inside? I'm pretty sure the hinges are on top of the inner layer of vinyl but dont have any photos to confirm (the only piece i didnt photograph as I took it apart)
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2011 at 1:05pm
I'll try and get one for you tonight
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 1:22am
Hey Chris,
Its been pouring rain here for two days so I haven't been able to get the boat uncovered and take a pic of the engine cover hinge. If you still need it I'll get it tomorrow after work.

I read your synopsis of CopyCat on the other thread. Very informative and I thought very fair. I have to admit I was ready to pull the trigger with them since they were significantly less expensive than Nautique skins, but as you hit on in your review, if they miss my schedule as badly this time of year, I will miss ski time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2011 at 10:28am
Yea, id still like to see a pic if possible. I think I know how I want to do it since im not replacing the carpet piece, but I still might change my mind if I see a better option.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2011 at 9:38pm
Chris,
Here's a pic of my hinge. On the outside of the engine cover the carpet at the base covers the screw heads.Let me know if you could use something else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2011 at 1:23am
Thanks for the picture. I decided not to have the carpet trim this time so I was trying to figure out how to hide those scrwes heads. I think I'll just use some finish washers with them and keep them visible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 2:20pm
Got the rear seats, motor box and drivers seat installed. You can also see the new carpet, and the results of the wetsanding although these pics arent great to show that really. I'll have to dig out some "before" photos later.

Also installed the Bimini at the wifes request for the 2yr old.

rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 2:41am
How tough was the carpet , mine needs to be done I am going with 20oz cornflower color, any idea on how much yours took ? I have identical boat layout
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 5:17am
Hey Chris,
Also in Bama, just wondering where you are. Couldn't find a way to send you a message on the forum, you got it all sewn up there. Send me a private message or something.

Britt
'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 11:43am
Carpet wasnt bad. I used the old carpet as my pattern and cut the new too large at first. You really dont need more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch extra to have plenty. I bought 50ft in 6ft wide and have plenty left over.

Britt...... I dont know why it wouldnt let you send a PM. I'll try to send you one. I'm in Decatur.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot this site doesnt have PM.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 10:43pm
Finally getting a chance to see your outcome. Everything looks very nice. CopyCat's quality looks just fine.
From my perspective it seems like you got it all back together pretty quickly too. I'm still waiting on my skins but I'll probably be asking a question or 2 when I get started.
All in all, despite your long wait you're probably done in perfect time for the start of the season in Alabama.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic